PDA

View Full Version : The old Welsh Bible

PoshPuss
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Hre's some pics of the old Family Bible we donated to the Museum of Welsh Life in Cardiff. enjoy :D

The cover and binding, orginally red, the leather has darkened with age. We reckon it is about 140 yrs old, from around 1860.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/morganpics_01/Family%20Bible/YBibl.jpg

more detail on the cover.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/morganpics_01/Family%20Bible/InscriptionEfengylGogoniantBendiged.jpg

one of colourplates inside

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/morganpics_01/Family%20Bible/christatthehouseofSimonthePharissee.jpg

and another.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/morganpics_01/Family%20Bible/colourplaterebekahatthewell.jpg

meep
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
:shock: That is absolutely stunning PP! Truly, finding a book like that was my dream as a kid, I love anything old and antiquey, particuarly books. Especially that aged smell :)

That Bible is so wonderful, the've reall gone out with the binding and clasps! And the pictures are so beautiful.

How very kind of you to give to the museum :)

angieh
08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
What a lovely old Bible - did it have a family tree inside PP?

HappyKatz
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
That old bible is so pretty :) The museum will enjoy it.

PoshPuss
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
No Angie, there was no record of the family tree in there. I seems to have been taken out as there are two pages which have been removed, just after the frontpiece. This was such a disappointment as I feel that it would have added much to my own history. On the other hand, if the names and dates were recorded in there I would not have been able to part with it. I can only assume it belonged to my great-great-grandmothers sister as this is as far back as my mum and I can go when considering who lived at the old house. This old lady lived there in 1890 for definate, her name was Hannah Keane.

Mags
08-10-2008, 06:13 PM
That's truly wonderful PP and the colourplates are so beautiful.....what a treasure for the museum.

I too have an old family bible but it's nowhere near as grand as yours. Mine belonged to my great, great uncle. There is a certificate inside it saying it was presented to him on the 3rd day of August, 1889 on his leaving Queen Elizabeth's Hospital School here in Bristol. It is black leather bound and fully embossed back and front but unlike yours it doesn't have any of the beautiful colourplates....just text.

This has made me think back at how different things must have been in those days, they would never have dreamed of a world like we have today...:?

Kim
08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
That is stunning, I love old books and I love bibles. How kind of you to donate it to the museum for lots of people to enjoy. A real treasure.

angieh
08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
That's a pity PP - I always think that family things should have loads of copies distributed around the family, but of course photocopiers etc weren't invented then!

Perhaps when you've finished your course, genealogy beckons?

PoshPuss
08-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you all or your lovely comments.
Yes, Angie, I would love to do some genealogy researching when this course is over. My OH started doing his but got stuck; with names like Morgan, Thomas and Jones in Wales, it gets a bit difficult! My mum's old family came from Cornwall and hopefuly the names are a bit more unusual and easier to go searching with.

Moli
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
That is beautiful, and in lovely condition.....
My mum has our family Bible, and as a kid, loved to read it..

calismum
08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
What a very interesting find. Like those already posted I too love old and interesting things. SHame no family information inside for you to be able to trace your history a bit more.

I am in middle of trying to do my tree. Spend a few days a year thru' in Edinburgh at the general registrars.

Got a bit stuck with a g g g grand father called John Smith, so that is the end of that line.

Lovely gift for you to give to the museum.

CM