PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop...

Moli
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I have just got Mac Airbook laptop, and it absolutely brilliant:) Never used a Mac before, but this one is so easy...:)

dinahsmum
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Everyone who has one seems to love the Macs.
The airbook is really slimline, isn't it?

Mags
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome to our growing band of Mac users on here Moli .........I would never go back to a PC now....;)

Moli
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Everyone who has one seems to love the Macs.
The airbook is really slimline, isn't it?

Its very slim and small DM, makes mt old Laptop look like brick:roll: :lol:

yola
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Airbooks are beautiful!! We have MACs and PCs in the office . . . infact MACs where the only computer I used between about 1989 and 1995, however since then it's been PCs (apart from a brief spell with the original turquoise iMAC when it came out) which I have to admit, I'm more comfortable with.

I love the cute user interface with the MAC, but to me it's not quite as intuitive as the PC. It's what you get used to I suppose!!

angieh
07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I guess you always have to be aware of compatibility issues with your clients/customers too?

I know nothing about MACs - but suppose that you can use similar software packages (eg MS) on them?

borderdawn
07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Im not a mac person but have recently had a new lappie. It has Vista Ultimate on it and is really nice, and cost me a whopping £30!!

Moli
07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Im not a mac person but have recently had a new lappie. It has Vista Ultimate on it and is really nice, and cost me a whopping £30!!

I have never had a Mac before, but Hubby has a desktop, and a few members on here have them....Though it was time I learned something new:) This is an early birthday present:)

Kazz
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Hmm I am considering a laptop....in fact went into PC world/comet today and had a look to get some info a decided I liked the HPIQ500 but think its a bit expensive but no base unit its a bit like Star trek http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/category/567/PC-Base-Units/pageNum/2/n/1000567/numPerPage/10/sort/price_asc

Also looked at the Mac option.....http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/461245/APPLE-MB323B-A/tab/accessories

Really liked both of them. Star trek.

Mags
07-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I've got the Mac mini ........ http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?cid=OAS-EMEA-KWG-UK_CPU-UK

Kazz
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Okay whats the difference betweena Mac and a PC people.....Mags did you have anormal PC before and do you find the Mac better/different.

Moli
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I am still learning Kazz, I do know you do not get virus's with a Mac

angieh
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Kazz - have you got the sound working on your pooter yet?

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I went for a Mac as my first computer, primarily because it was considered more user friendly and almost immune to virus. It's a desktop, would love to have a laptop, but they are pricy, and with the economy in the state it's in right now am deferring any plans....
Do let us know what you think of it, Moli, compared to a PC.

What browser are you using? Safari, Firefox?

Mags
07-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Okay whats the difference betweena Mac and a PC people.....Mags did you have anormal PC before and do you find the Mac better/different.
Yes Kazz, I had a normal PC before and I started to get a lot of problems with it. It was my son who persuaded me to change to a Mac as it's what he uses for his work and he said a Mac doesn't get the viruses a PC does. I was a bit dubious at first as I imagined it to be something completely different that I would have to learn. I finally agreed and had mine before Christmas last year. Admittedly I didn't have to do anything with setting it up, my son did all that side of it for me ........then within a week I was completely at ease with it and wouldn't go back to a PC.

What it would be like for someone starting from scratch with a Mac, I don't know:? My son let me practice on his before I decided on it.

Moli
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I went for a Mac as my first computer, primarily because it was considered more user friendly and almost immune to virus. It's a desktop, would love to have a laptop, but they are pricy, and with the economy in the state it's in right now am deferring any plans....
Do let us know what you think of it, Moli, compared to a PC.

What browser are you using? Safari, Firefox?
I have both DM, but like Firefox..:D

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes Kazz, I had a normal PC before and I started to get a lot of problems with it. It was my son who persuaded me to change to a Mac as it's what he uses for his work and he said a Mac doesn't get the viruses a PC does. I was a bit dubious at first as I imagined it to be something completely different that I would have to learn. I finally agreed and had mine before Christmas last year. Admittedly I didn't have to do anything with setting it up, my son did all that side of it for me ........then within a week I was completely at ease with it and wouldn't go back to a PC.

What it would be like for someone starting from scratch with a Mac, I don't know:? My son let me practice on his before I decided on it.

Mastering the basics was easy on my Mac. Most of the trickier little things like copy and paste, how to post pics, etc. I learned right here with help from lovely patient people like Az, Mags, and Tom! And some others, whom I didn't pester quite as much! :-D

Moli
07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Mastering the basics was easy on my Mac. Most of the trickier little things like copy and paste, how to post pics, etc. I learned right here with help from lovely patient people like Az, Mags, and Tom! And some others, whom I didn't pester quite as much! :-D

Mags is very good when you are stuck on something DM;)

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Mags is very good when you are stuck on something DM;)

Oh, tell me about it! If I had a dollar for every time I've asked for her advice/help I'd be able to go buy a new Mac laptop myself! :-D