PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating!

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
When I was putting the recycling out this afternoon there was 1) a downy woodpecker on the tree by my house, and in my front yard 2) a chipmunk! And of course, no camera with me! :( The woodpecker isn't that rare, but I've never seen a chipmunk outside of the woods before! He moved too quickly for a shot anyhow; dashed into Christopher's yard in the bushes.......

Moli
06-10-2008, 10:00 PM
How lovely DM, you are lucky to see a chipmunk....

Mags
06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
What a shame you didn't have the camera to hand Eileen.......I would love to have seen the chipmunk:D

Lesson for today : You must carry your camera with you at all times :lol:

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
What a shame you didn't have the camera to hand Eileen.......I would love to have seen the chipmunk:D

Lesson for today : You must carry your camera with you at all times :lol:

You'd think I would have learned; remember last year while I was on the way to the eye doctor and there were two young deer in the yard right behind the bus stop!

Chipmunks are just adorable...no other word for it. Tiny little things and uber cute .......

Moli
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
You'd think I would have learned; remember last year while I was on the way to the eye doctor and there were two young deer in the yard right behind the bus stop!

Chipmunks are just adorable...no other word for it. Tiny little things and uber cute .......
Just keep your camera hanging round your neck from now on DM;)

Mags
06-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Yes I remember that, that would have been a good pic too..:D Is there any way you can clip your camera onto a your belt when you are out and about?:D

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I usually just stick it in my jeans/shorts/jacket pocket when I take it...and of course now that I'll remember to do it, no photo ops.... :roll:

I still can't fathom why the chipmunk was so far from the woods! It's only two blocks, but that's along way for such a wee little thing.....

meep
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Awh DM that sounds so lovely! I love little glimpses of nature like that. I'm away to look at pictures of chipmunks on google images now :roll: I love teeny fuzzy animals!

angieh
07-10-2008, 11:12 AM
What a pity Eileen! And a Downy Woodpecker too.

PS Did you see the Cardinals this year?

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, but not as many cardinals as usual' hope it's not a habitat loss thing..
The catbirds are back! They've been nesting in my holly tree in the back yard for years now; always return...well, not the same birds, of course, but apparently one of the nestlings comes back every Spring from the South. They are beautiful songsters, quieter than the mockingbirds but a lovely varied song. What I hardly ever see anymore is bluejays.....they were badly decimated by West Nile virus ...... also the crows.

angieh
07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think I've heard of catbirds Eileen - I'll have to google!

Talking about your bluejays - our jays are very similar in appearance I think and on the way to the vet this morning, I startled one that was having its morning bath in a puddle by the roadside!

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't think I've heard of catbirds Eileen - I'll have to google!

Talking about your bluejays - our jays are very similar in appearance I think and on the way to the vet this morning, I startled one that was having its morning bath in a puddle by the roadside!

Here's a link. I disagree with the article, the cry does sound like a cat; I've been fooled more than once!

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Gray_Catbird