PDA

View Full Version : Getting a kitten...maybe. Advice appreciated!

abbiej
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey!

I'm looking to get a kitten soon, after wanting a pet that I can build up a relationship with and cuddle a bit more than my current dwarf hamster! I just have a few questions.

As i've just graduated this year obviously money isn't hugely free flowing, so does anyone have any dry food suggestions that offer all the nutrients needed but at a lower cost?

I've kept dogs and am a huge animal lover (just graduated with a zoology degree) so am really looking forward to having a cat, and the training that comes with it. However, I am travelling to Australi next year for a few months and will probabaly be moving my cat down to Pembs to be with my mum for a bit while i'm away. We have quite a highly strung dog; i've read on sites so long as the introduction is done over time the dog and cat should be fine with each other - does anyone have any more information on introductions and how possible it is for them to get along without shredding mums new house to pieces!

Also, how much can I be expected to pay on average a month on my cat!?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm really wanting to get my research done before jumping in at the deep end!

thank you!
Abbie

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, Abbie! Good luck finding that just-right kitten..As I'm in the States can't give you information about pricing and UK brands of dry food...do you dislike the wet? I prefer it; less chance of cystitis. And same with weekly costs.

Many many members here also have dogs (I'm not a dog person). and I'm sure someone will be along with good advice about introductions!

meep
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Hey Abbie, it's lovely to hear you're thinking of taking on a cat :) I'm sure other members will be along soon with lots of great advice, and I can't stay online long just now, but here's my initial thoughts:

- I agree with DM on feeding wet food instead of, or as well as, dry food. A diet of dry food alone greatly increases risk of cystisis, and potentially more serious conditions such as Kidney problems. There are wet foods that aren't too costly. I feed my two indoor cats two wet pouches a day (morning and evening) and have a small bowl of dry food always available, for whilst I'm out at work during the day. One box of Felix normal is £3, for 12 pouches, so for one cat that's £3 for 6 days food, and Go-Cat is a readily available, cheap-ish dry food, at about £2.20 a big box which should last about 2 weeks.
- If you're keeping your cat indoors, you'll need litter. I get mine from Tesco's, and to be honest I don't go about it the most economical way, but I don't drive and can't get to a bigger tesco with bigger choice, but I buy the small bags (2.5L) for £2.20, and use two of those a week.
- Also, I've insured my two; as the cost of insurance per month is far cheaper than any potential vet bills! So for a moggie it's £6 a month.

So with all that together, on average, for one moggie indoor cat, you could pay:
-£15 for food
- £15 for litter (although you could probably do it cheaper than me!)
- £6 insurance

Altogether: £36 - £40 a month.

I really hope I've not missed something important out but that seems about right to me!

Have you thought about whether you'd keep your cat indoors only or indoor / outdoor?

I'd highly recommend finding your nearest Cat Protection League Branch, or cat adoption centre, to adopt a homeless cat. I got my two boys from my local CP and they're fantastic! The CP will make sure your cats jabs and vaccinations are up to date, and neuter the cat if it isn't already neutered. They only ask for a donation, the minimum of which is £40 per cat but you can pay more. If you were looking to buy a kitten from someone, even if it's a moggie, you'd probably be paying £80 - £100 and wouldn't get the jabs, vaccines or neutering done. Also, it's so rewarding to know you're giving a cat a second chance in life! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Rosie
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
On top of food requirements (do not feed just dry food) and insurance and litter etc don't forget to take into account vets bills that will not be covered by insurance, such as neutering, annual injections, flea treatments, wormers which can mount up considerably. Also you should treat your pet sometimes with things like fresh fish or chicken.

If money is really going to be a problem think twice and then think again. Why not wait until you get home so that your cat doesn't need to keep being uprooted.

dinahsmum
07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello Abbey - congratulations on your graduation. Unless you were a mature student I guess you are fortunate enough to be in your early twenties (I'm not jealous, honest!)
We all love cats here, as you've no doubt realised, and perfectly understand other people sharing that passion. However, they are a commitment and, before you go ahead, I'd suggest you stop and think ahead. You've already found a bit of a hitch with your up-coming trip to Aus. What are your plans beyond that? If your answer is none - fantastic! - for you, but not for a pet maybe? Might you go to live in Aus? It's not easy to take pets that far & cope with quarantine etc. So puss would have to stay with your mum? Or be rehomed? :(
Or maybe you're looking for a job in the UK? Do you know where? City or country? Somewhere cat-friendly? Many landlords aren't happy to accept pets, so a feline friend could restrict your choice.
Also - future relationships? Love me, love my cat? Or if push came to shove, would it be puss who got the elbow?
Cats are living up to 20 years now, certainly 15+. How will your life change from twenties to approaching 40? (Sorry to depress you!) You should take it all into consideration before scratching this current cat-itch.
Maybe you can still do it, and commit to your new friend for the rest of his/her life, but if you can't, I'd say put your thoughts on hold for a while, until you are more settled.

Sorry to be (or appear to be) a wet blanket. Live your life as you wish, and live it to the full. If you take on a cat's life too, be aware of what you are taking on.
Good luck!