PDA

View Full Version : Litter tray problems

Phoenix
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Last night Beauty left us a present in the bath (a smelly unwanted present). I'm not sure why she did it in the bath, anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a case of oops - I - can't - get - to - my - litter - tray - in - time, I think it was a case of The-vet's-given-you-some-litter-to-put-in-my-litter-tray-and-I-don't-like-the-new-litter.

She's had a little accident before, that was a case of cant't get to my litter tray in time, the vet didn't find any reason healthwise why she should have had that accident, and she wasn't stressed at all.

niki71uk
05-10-2008, 07:44 PM
my kitten does that sometimes,id rather that than on the carpet,yuk that it is

Phoenix
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I know, it's better in the bath, but I'd prefer her to od it in her litter tray if she's caught out during the night!

Elaine
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I think she has been talking to Eva but Eva sadly doesnt use anything other than the carpet:roll:
Many cats use the bath to poo or pee in when either the litter tray is too dirty or their prefered litter is not in use.

Phoenix
05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I think she has been talking to Eva but Eva sadly doesnt use anything other than the carpet:roll:
Many cats use the bath to poo or pee in when either the litter tray is too dirty or their prefered litter is not in use.

Well, the vet gave us some special litter for us to get a urine sample from her yesterday and she's once used the garden yesterday (that I know of, she was burying a number two, I saw) then during the night she used the bath for another number two. I know when she used the garden she seemed to be straining a little, but if I'd have gone out she'd have run off (she's like that - if we disturb her when she's "performing" she gets rather frightened and runs off)

dandysmom
05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh dear! I suspect she doesn't like the new litter! But it's better than on the carpet.....

Phoenix
05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh dear! I suspect she doesn't like the new litter! But it's better than on the carpet.....

We've got to use that litter for the moment the vet says.

Elaine
05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, I know you are trying to get a urine sample from her, I was only giving a few reasons as to why she may have used the bath.
When i had to get a sample from Winston, i had to use the same litter. I had to confine him to one room so as he had no other option but to use the tray, he was always a very good boy, no mistakes ever umlike Eva:roll: . But even when i had to get a sample from her, she did use the litter tray but made me wait alll day.:lol:

Phoenix
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes, I know you are trying to get a urine sample from her, I was only giving a few reasons as to why she may have used the bath.
When i had to get a sample from Winston, i had to use the same litter. I had to confine him to one room so as he had no other option but to use the tray, he was always a very good boy, no mistakes ever umlike Eva:roll: . But even when i had to get a sample from her, she did use the litter tray but made me wait alll day.:lol:

I don't think we'd be able to keep Beauty in one room, she's a regular escape artist! We should have named her Queen Houdini! :lol:

Elaine
05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't think we'd be able to keep Beauty in one room, she's a regular escape artist! We should have named her Queen Houdini! :lol:

Sometimes you have to do what is necessary to get the result. I'd rather that than have them taken in, sedated and bladder expressed.

Mags
05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Is Beauty locked in at night? If so, may I suggest you keep her indoors in the morning until she has produced the sample for you. She is very likely to be desperate to go after a night indoors and you wouldn't have too long to wait.

I think you are making it difficult for your self by letting her out .......if ever the occasion arose when I had to get a sample from Cassie, I wouldn't let her out at all until I'd managed to get it.

As Elaine said, it will be less stressful for Beauty than if you had to leave her at the vets for a day.

Moli
05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I used that litter when I had to get a sample from Leo, and what I did was to shut him in a room at night with the tray, and bingo got it the next day, like Beauty he did not like the litter, but he was desperate so used it.Better than stressing her out leaving her at the vets for the day.....Good Luck...

Elaine
05-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Just as a note of caution, when i had to get Winston sedated and his bladder expressed due to a slight blockage, the vet made me sign a disclaimer incase.... She said to me that because of his kidney condition, sedation could hamper this further. She was maybe being over cautous but thats what she said, maybe some of the VN's here can clarify this.

Elvisisboss
05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
id agree with everyone else that it is prob the new litter!

not sure why she choose the bath!!!

when my older cat is caught out he goes on the carpet aswell, id rather it be in the bath easer to clean!

Phoenix
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Is Beauty locked in at night? If so, may I suggest you keep her indoors in the morning until she has produced the sample for you. She is very likely to be desperate to go after a night indoors and you wouldn't have too long to wait.

I think you are making it difficult for your self by letting her out .......if ever the occasion arose when I had to get a sample from Cassie, I wouldn't let her out at all until I'd managed to get it.

As Elaine said, it will be less stressful for Beauty than if you had to leave her at the vets for a day.

Yes Beauty is locked in at night, we do our best to keep her in, though like I said she can escape easily, we are not sure exactly where she gets out from but she manages it!

Mags
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes Beauty is locked in at night, we do our best to keep her in, though like I said she can escape easily, we are not sure exactly where she gets out from but she manages it!
Maybe a good idea to check your security RCR, if she can get out that easily, something else can always get in:?

Phoenix
06-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Maybe a good idea to check your security RCR, if she can get out that easily, something else can always get in:?

We have checked every lock etc (though I don't think Beauty can pick locks somehow)

We've checked for any places that Beauty can get through and so far apart from my brother's window we've found nothing. My brother will insist on having it ajar (his room is upstairs) I don't know if Beauty can manage to push it open (in theory my brother locks it in place, not tested it yet)

Mags
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Did you get any results with the litter tray today RCR?

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Nope, apart from litter everywhere! (I think Beauty scratched it all out to try to avoid using it and probably used the bath again)

pk-bailey
08-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Bailey wee's in our bath, it might be the disinfectant you use, could be the ammonia(i think thats it).

Phoenix
09-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Bailey wee's in our bath, it might be the disinfectant you use, could be the ammonia(i think thats it).

It isn't the cleaning stuff we use in the bath, it's only since the vet wanted a urine sample that Beauty's been using the bath.

I think she strains a little to do number 2s.

Mags
09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Has Beauty still not gone in her litter tray?:shock: Why don't you try to keep her indoors after her meals......it's a shame if she has to undergo the stress at the vets..

Phoenix
09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Has Beauty still not gone in her litter tray?:shock: Why don't you try to keep her indoors after her meals......it's a shame if she has to undergo the stress at the vets..

We already do that, yet she still "goes" in the bath!

I've tried putting her in her litter tray straight after eating and drinking, all that does is frighten her making her shoot out of her tray!

Mags
09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Try keeping the bathroom door closed at night.....

Phoenix
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Try keeping the bathroom door closed at night.....

She'd go on the carpet, she's already had an accident (a number 2 accident) on the bedroom floor upstairs, so she'd probably go there again if we cut off access to the bathroom.

We could always try though and put newspaper all over the floor in the bedroom ...

Elaine
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I really dont want to sound harsh but why cannt you just shut her in a room, one which she cannt escape from, put the litter tray in there and keep her there for 24 hours. With food and water ofcourse. I know she wants/likes to go out etc but this will be one day out of her life in order to get the urine sample.
Rather that than have her sedated and her bladder expressed. Please atleast try.

calismum
09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Have to agree with Elaine - we once had a cat who gave us similar probs. It was less stress to lock her in one room for a day that to disrupt her whole routine for days.

We put some newspaper shreddings on top of the vet litter - that did the trick (either that or she was fit to burst!!

Good lluck

CM

pk-bailey
10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
ive got spray to stop bailey going everywhere

called "get off"

Phoenix
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I really dont want to sound harsh but why cannt you just shut her in a room, one which she cannt escape from, put the litter tray in there and keep her there for 24 hours. With food and water ofcourse. I know she wants/likes to go out etc but this will be one day out of her life in order to get the urine sample.
Rather that than have her sedated and her bladder expressed. Please atleast try.

Tried shutting her in the one room last night, she wouldn't "go" and she seemed to be in pain. As soon as we opened the bedroom door to see whether she'd "gone" she got out into the rest of the house and promptly "went" in the bath.

We could try putting the plug in just in case she urinates in there and make sure the bath is bone dry ...
We'll try it tonight.

Moli
10-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Why not try putting the litter box in the bath??

kado
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
All of mine except Chester has never had a problem with the litter tray. If the litter has a couple of number 2's in he has started to wee on the carpet the same place evertime and this morning he did a number 2 there. I think beauty doesnt like the litter , if a cat doesnt like something they dont like it fullstop. I think Moli's suggestion is a good one as well.

jane

Phoenix
11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll try puttting the litter tray in the bath, I'll make sure the plug is in (in case she doesn't use the tray itself and "goes" outside the litter tray)

dandysmom
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Good idea; hope it works!

Phoenix
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Good idea; hope it works!

I hope so too! I'll have to make sure the bath is bone dry, don't want the urine to get watered down because of a dripping tap or shower or whatever!

calismum
11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
good luck . . .

Phoenix
12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
She did a number 2 again in the bath, but no sign of a number one. Trying again tonight.

dandysmom
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
She is determined not to give you a urine sample!! Better luck tonight ......

Moli
12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Fingers crossed you manage to get it RCR....

Mags
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
How much longer has the vet given you to get a sample RCR?

You must be getting concerned by now..:?

Phoenix
13-10-2008, 07:22 PM
How much longer has the vet given you to get a sample RCR?

You must be getting concerned by now..:?

We are getting concerned! :( We have got until Friday and no sign of a sample, apart from Beauty scratching all the litter down the plughole, so will have to go back to the vets before friday to get some more. :(

Moli
13-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Put the plug in the bath;) ;)

Phoenix
13-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Put the plug in the bath;) ;)

It was in the bath, Beauty somehow figured out how to pull it out (and I thought Beauty wasn't the brightest bulb in the box) :lol:

Mags
13-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I think you'll just have to shut her in a room (not the bathroom) with the litter tray until she has been.....obviously leave her some food in there. You are getting nowhere at the moment, we are only thinking of Beauty's welfare..

Phoenix
13-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I think you'll just have to shut her in a room (not the bathroom) with the litter tray until she has been.....obviously leave her some food in there. You are getting nowhere at the moment, we are only thinking of Beauty's welfare..

I know you all are, we have tried shutting her in the kitchen with her litter tray and her food and water, again apart from number 2s no luck (unless she's doing the number 1s down the sink - I hope not but she might have started doing them down there! :shock:

meep
14-10-2008, 11:46 AM
She'll have to pee if you shut her up for long enough with everywhere 'blocked' so that if she pees somewhere, anywhere, you'll find it!

How frustrating for you. Good luck.

meep
14-10-2008, 11:48 AM

I agree with Mags on this; she'll have to go if left long enough. And cats won't generally pee on the floor but will try and find some 'thing' to pee in. Maybe leave an empty litter tray, a dust-pan (my old cat Chaska used to pee in this occasionally!), and a plastic box or something else, with food and water, and leave her there until you get your sample. I'm not sure how frequently cats with kidney problems need to pee, but my two will pee at least once a day, so it should take two days at most. Just don't let her out until you've got your sample!

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 05:53 PM
It was in the bath, Beauty somehow figured out how to pull it out (and I thought Beauty wasn't the brightest bulb in the box) :lol:

you do realise Beauty will be tittering behind her paw at you? i suggest you put her in a room with neither sink nor bath, and possibly with more than one tray, but with the same litter.

Phoenix
14-10-2008, 07:19 PM
you do realise Beauty will be tittering behind her paw at you? i suggest you put her in a room with neither sink nor bath, and possibly with more than one tray, but with the same litter.

I've got some more litter from hte vets now, I'll try using it again (and hopefully she won't scratch it all over the floor and behind everything again :shock: )

Phoenix
14-10-2008, 07:20 PM
She'll have to pee if you shut her up for long enough with everywhere 'blocked' so that if she pees somewhere, anywhere, you'll find it!

How frustrating for you. Good luck.

Hopefully not on the carpet, I won't be able to get a sample if she does! :shock:

Mags
14-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Can you shut her in the kitchen?

Phoenix
14-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Can you shut her in the kitchen?

I can, but it's got a carpet so if she doesn't use her tray and uses the floor instead it will all soak into the carpet. That carpet has been down for years!

I was told something interesting about Smudge (Mum's old cat who my grandma looked after) today as well: She prefered to use the bath! :lol:

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 08:37 PM
there's your answer, then.

stick the litter tray in the bath, over the plughole. :) just make sure it's heavy, and she can't move the tray. that way, you might just get your sample, then :D

stitch_too
14-10-2008, 08:38 PM
ps, it might also help if you tape up the plughole

Elaine
14-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Am I understanding this correctly, Beauty hasnt had a pee all this time? Not one? If thats the case then she needs imediate medical attention. Special litter or no special litter she has to go some time and if she has been kept confined for 24 hours as suggested, then she MUST have pee'd somewhere.

meep
15-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Any news on pee sample?

Phoenix
15-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I think she has been peeing, the bath mat was wet and smelly this morning but we can't dry the mat out very well if the shower's been dripping, which I think was part of it. I also suspect Beauty's been doing her business in the kitchen.

Little story: a few days before we had to attempt getting a sample from Beauty, there was a funny smell in the kitchen, which we are still not sure but we think it was Beauty having a little accident behind the washing machine. We know Beauty has so far had a little accident upstairs in one of the bedrooms (this was quite a while ago)

I can't be certain so I'll phone the vets tomorrow and get her in for the vet to check her over. I'll ask the vet to get the blood sample from her as well (he wants to get a blood sample in about 3 months time as well, but I'll ask him if he can take it at the same time as the urine)

Sorry I'm blabbering again, aren't I? :lol:

stitch_too
16-10-2008, 08:18 PM
not blabbering. you're just worried about your cat *sends sympathy and hugs*

Phoenix
17-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll be taking Beauty in to the vets tomorrow. Didn't phone up yesterday because I was ill.

dandysmom
17-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry you were poorly. Hope the vet can get a sample so everyone can stop worrying .....

Phoenix
17-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry you were poorly. Hope the vet can get a sample so everyone can stop worrying .....

I'm hoping so! :shock:

I think it was a mixture of tiredness and my cold (I've had a cold all week! Hope I don't pass it on to the vet! I don't think I will though, it's almost cleared up completely)

Phoenix
18-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Even more of an update, vet couldn't persuade Beauty to give a sample, Beauty threw up her breakfast twice on the way to the vets, did a number 2 on the way back (it's nearly the colour of fudge and is too runny to be normal).

She's also been hiding, we can't pick her up because she starts trying to get down every time we pick her up, flinches away from us when we approach and she's hardly gone outside today. Oh and she's been sleeping a lot as well today. More than usual.

She's going back to the vets on Monday (I've got her an appointment and the vets are closed tomorrow because it's Sunday tomorrow)

Natalie
18-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Beauty isn't herself today. Maybe the journey to the vets stressed her out too much which is why she vomited?

Sending you big hugs and Beauty lots of get well vibes and cuddles x

Phoenix
18-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Beauty isn't herself today. Maybe the journey to the vets stressed her out too much which is why she vomited?

Sending you big hugs and Beauty lots of get well vibes and cuddles x

That's what I thought, but it won't explain the colour of her number 2. I'll let the vet know on Monday and see what they have to say.

Natalie
18-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Pale stools in cats can indicate anaemia which can be associated in cats with CRF.

Roll on Monday......

Phoenix
19-10-2008, 08:01 PM
To be continued here: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=29856

(It's become a health issue now)