PDA

View Full Version : Catsey Book Club?

dinahsmum
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Shall we start a (small, select) book club here and ask for it to be 'stickied' atop this section? There are enough who enjoy books to merit chatting about them and chances are that as we have been 'friends' on here for so long we may have similar tastes.

So, here's a few I read recently. very late I'm afraid, I think they were 'fashionable' last year or even 2006.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Oh, such a charming and diferent book. A love story with a twist, and you can't help turning the page and wishing time to pass.

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney
A real star turn, and a first novel, set in the wilds of Canada in 1867 and it rings so true, even though the author has never visited the country. A love story/adventure/whodunnit with family tensions and suspense.

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky
France, immediately before and during WW2. Follows several families and characters, city folk and counrty folk. I think it has a nice French 'voice' despite being in translation but I have read others who say it feels stilted to them. There is no happy ending.

Kazz
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Excellent idea DM......any suggestions for the first book.

angieh
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm definitely enrolling in this! Can we have a Book Club section do you think?

Elaine
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I think thats a great suggestion. I am not a big reader these days but for those who are, this would be good.

dandysmom
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Excellent idea. Has anyone read the new Faye Kellerman, Mercedes Coffin? Her mystery/suspense stories are all well written with appealing characters. I just got this at the library today, haven't started yet. Am just finishing Robin Cook's latest, Foreign Body. He's the doctor-turned-novelist who's written a gazillion, mostly with the basic idea af a spunky female character up against a conspiracy of some sort. Formulaic, but this one's set in India...some interesting details about New Delhi, customs, etc. Not great literature, but a good read .....

yola
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I wish I had more time for books. We have bookshelves and cupboards full, but no time at the moment to read them :( So I shall read comments with interest but probably won't be able to contribute very much.

smudgley
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
:oops: I've discovered reading about a month ago. :oops:
I have never in my life since leaving school read books. (I read Alices diary & a few bits from Cat Confidential) but otherwise never read at all, just no time or interest in it, anyway I went to the library & stumbled across chubby Browns autobiography (not everyones cup of tea, I know.... but I've always been a fan of his) and I've nearly finished reading it, I have thoroughly enjoyed it & can't wait to get started on another book!

mj69
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Can I join in too, I love reading but with the move may not be as quick at reading as normal...

are we going to make suggestions then vote and the most popular wins.. or is that too complicated.

mel x

dinahsmum
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
W H Smith have an offer on shortly - if you shop there this week you'll get a voucher permitting a free chart paperback when you buy any other chart paperback. (Valid 13 - 24 October)
Sadly the site is down now, so I can't link to the list, but you would think that between us we can find 2 books in 100 that we will all enjoy? www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx) That is the link for future reference.
We could then decide which order we'll read them and comment on the first one between mid November and the end of the year and the second during January? That shouldn't rush anyone.

What do you think? (Sorry Dandysmom - library or full price for you :( )

dandysmom
05-10-2008, 04:24 PM
W H Smith have an offer on shortly - if you shop there this week you'll get a voucher permitting a free chart paperback when you buy any other chart paperback. (Valid 13 - 24 October)
Sadly the site is down now, so I can't link to the list, but you would think that between us we can find 2 books in 100 that we will all enjoy? www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Books.aspx) That is the link for future reference.
We could then decide which order we'll read them and comment on the first one between mid November and the end of the year and the second during January? That shouldn't rush anyone.

What do you think? (Sorry Dandysmom - library or full price for you :( )

No problem ....!

mj69
05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Thats a good idea, and plenty of time for reading..

mel x

meep
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I'd happily join the group too! I'm currently re-reading 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michael Faber; a very graphic neo-victorian novel focusing on prostitution in Victorian London. But I'd happily start a new book :) I'll have a look in WHSmith or Watersons over the weekend and think up some suggestions!

dinahsmum
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
The link is working now.
There are 269 possibles, in the offer!

FWIW I would be happy with most of them.

My suggestions (but please put yours)
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
The Memory Keepers Daughter - Kim Edwards
Notes From An Exhibition - Patrick Gale
The Ghost - Robert Harris

I suppose we could collect suggestions and then put up a poll?
Anyway - I'll be away whilst you're deciding, so I'll just go with the flow on my return.

meep
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree a poll would be a good idea! In time we'll most probably come round to reading all the suggestions anyway!

I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns and it's wonderful! Would happily read it again; also, the other ones you've suggested sound great DM.

I'd be keen to re-read The Time Traveller's Wife, so if lots of people haven't read that I'd highly recommend it!

Others from the list:

On Chesil Beach - Iain McEwan
Blind Faith - Ben Elton (for a light read!)
Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Like I said, I like all of DM's suggestions too :) Especially Notes from an Exhibition.

dinahsmum
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I loved The Time Traveller's Wife too, and will happily re-read it.

Oh - and I fancied On Chesil Beach and Atonement (have you seen the film? - fantastic!) too, but thought I'd suggested enough

angieh
07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
This is spooky - I am sure I posted in this thread this morning, but my post has vanished (and I didn't swear or anything, honest!)

I had said that I looked at DM's link, and there are so many books that I wondered whether if anyone who wants to join in forwards their 2 best choices to whoever is going to do the poll (and I know DM is going on holiday on Thursday!) and then we could vote from those - the first and second being the ones to be read initially. I expect some peoples' choices will be the same, but I should think we could still have a good list to vote from.

What do you all think?

(I would volunteer to do the poll, but I'd need help because I've never done one!)

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Excellent idea, Angie. Polls really aren't difficult, I'd be glad to help you or do it myself. Must go on Amazon and see what those books are about; will do so after lunch here.

calismum
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh - hope I'm not too late. Would love to join - I read loads.

CM

stitch_too
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
i'll join!

i can read six or seven different books at a time :P

at the moment, i'm reading 'Agnes Grey' by Anne Bronte. so far, it's good, and not boring like some of the classics can be.

mj69
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Morning, I cant wait to get back to the UK 2 weeks yesterday That link as well and truly wetted my appitite for books what a selection!! I could be in there all day.

I've checked out the books and agree that Notes from a exhibition looks really good and worth aread

and also On chesil beach. Can i suggest two of my own both on the buy one get one free paperback offer

Nowhere to run - Judy westwater

Nineteen minuets - Jodi Picoult ( i have this here and its the next book im going to read!)

I think a poll is a good way to decide but i've no idea how to go about setting one up sorry!

mel x

mj69
18-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,

well i move back to uk on wednesday:shock: its come round quick, do we have any suggestions for a book then? I've just come to end of one and am ready to start something else.. and i cant wait to get to WHSmiths!

Probadly wont be online for a couple of days till i get sorted out

dinahsmum
18-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I thought you ladies were going to sort this out by the time I came back!!! :)

I'll set up a poll with all the books mentioned as possibles but not just now. Monday is forecast to be poor weather, so I'll do it then - unless anyone wants to step in and do it before me of course!

Is anyone into crime novels? I sometimes read Ruth Rendell but I'd never, until now, read any of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels and I've only ever seen one dramatisation on TV. (Isn't Ken Stott exactly Rebus though?) So, as we were travelling light, and only allowed one book each(!), we got 'unisex' books, no 'women's books where nothing happens' (:roll: )for me, no Sci-Fi for him :) This meant we could both happily read both books and would not be too reliant on whatever other people had left in the hotel 'library'.

Anyway, I digress (how unusual :roll: ) Just wanted to say that the most recent Rankin, 'Exit Music', was very very enjoyable. And it has 'discussion points' and reading group suggestions at the back. It might be another one worth adding to the poll list.

angieh
18-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Have to own up - another Rankin fan here, but I have not read Exit Music yet. Can't bear the thought of Rebus retiring - and yes, Ken Stott is/was a perfect characterisation IMO. It was a shame they started with John Hannah who is a perfectly good actor, but was just not right for the role - too young again IMO.

dinahsmum
18-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I never saw John Hannah

Don't despair - there was mention of a possible Unsolved Crime Unit (like New Tricks) in Exit Music. Now, wouldn't he be great as the curmudgeonly, nicotine stained, scotch-raddled, old style cop in that, under the command of a go-ahead youngster?

And aren't I lucky now - I have the whole gamut of the previous Rebus novels to anticipate reading.

dandysmom
18-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm a big crime fiction fan; especially love Ruth Rendell! Just picked up a new one of hers, Not In The Flesh, at the library today. Also love Minette Walters.

calismum
18-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Also crime - fan, but willing to give anything a try.

CM