PDA

View Full Version : Merlin definitely still has toothache - any advice please?

angieh
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Poor Merlin still has toothache - he is obviously hungry and wanting to eat but when he goes to his bowl, the thought of the pain is obviously putting him off eating.

It is probably on the cards that he will have to have another operation - but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice they could offer about what I can get him to eat as obviously it is important to keep his strength up.

I have been warming his food, and trying it mashed or unmashed and although he will lap the juice that's about all he will take.

dinahsmum
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh, poor boy. Can you phone the vet and get him another painkilling jab to see him through to Monday when he can have a proper consultation and maybe extraction?

Don't give him anything you have at home, especially aspirin. I'm sure you know that but I've put it in for anyone searching on toothache later.

Nutritious sloppy sluff?
Chicken liver, cooked in the micro without liquid and squashed as much as you can?
Beef tea? - minced or scraped beef, little drop of hot water poured over, leave to infuse, squeeze the beef bits through a cloth and feed the resulting liquid.
Soft fish, like plaice, gently cooked and squashed?

Why do things always seem to happen when the vet is closed?

PS - if he will not take anything solid I think I'd cook something nutritious (I think that means any meat or fish) in water and then take out the solid and boil down the resultant 'gravy' until it's literally just a teaspoon or two. Much of the nutrition and nothing solid.
Will he lick egg yolk? Or very lightly scrambled egg?

Elaine
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Good sestions there DM, I was going to suggest a chicken broth with out onions ofcourse.
Poor Merlin, he really is having quite a time of it just now, Hugs to you Angie coz i know how worried you must be xxx

PoshPuss
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Ouch! I feel for poor Merlin, and for you Angie :(
I think DM has most things covered for food suggestions.
As long as he's taking fluids even if small amounts I think he'll be ok til the vet is open on Monday. It's going to take lots of patience, which I know you have in buckets-full. :)
Lots of cuddles from mum. Posh and I send soothing words to Merlin, and chinny tickles too. ((hugs))to you Angie.x

dandysmom
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Poor Merlin! You might try adding warm water to a tin of food that he likes, then drain off just the gravy for him...might take two tins to make enough gravy for him to lap. Gentle cuddle to him and a hug for you.....

Tina
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Angie

So sorry to hear poor Merlin has toothache! My dad had a cat that used to have problems with her teeth (until she had them all pulled....poor kitty!) and he could usually get her to eat by puree-ing whatever she would normally eat with a little bit of warm water to a soft smooth "pudding" texture.

Also, and I'm not suggesting you try this without speaking to a vet, he used to rub infant teething gel (not containing aspirin) on her gums......that provided immense relief to her! But as I said, check with a vet first as I'm not sure if it was something he did at his own vet's suggestion or not.

Hope Merlin feels better soon. Please give him a stroke for me!

Tina

angieh
05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I tried Merlin on some tuna yesterday and he wouldn't touch it (unheard of) and also tried warming some whole milk, which he also would not touch. OH saw him drinking some water though which is good.

I am not at all sure how Merlin is today. This morning, OH tempted him with a bit of bacon, which he ate. I therefore poached him some chicken and he managed to eat a small portion - hand fed. If his mouth was very sore, would he even have managed this much??? Because he has eaten something, and because I think it would be detrimental to take him on a 20 minute journey to the weekend vet especially in this bad weather, I have decided to leave it until tomorrow. Hope I manage to get him to eat a bit more later.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Kazz
05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Think you have made the right choice in waiting till tomorrw Angie eating even a little is a good sign. Maybe he is just not hungry older cats are a "enigma" sometimes.

pinklizzy
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh poor Merlin! Sorry to hear he's still painful, hopefully the vet will be able to give him some anti-inflammatories to help. It could also be that he's associating eating with the pain he felt previously and this is supressing his appetite.
I hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow.
Gentle hugs to Merlin,
Lx

dandysmom
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Poor boy; at least he's drinking water and has eaten a wee bit. Think you've made the right decision; that's what I would do.....

Moli
05-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Poor boy, but I agree with you Angie, if he is eating a little and drinking, better to wait till tomorrow.....

pinklizzy
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hope it all goes well at the vets for Merlin today and they are able to make him feel more comfy. xxx

meep
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Poor Merlin :( Sorry to hear that he's still in a bit of pain Angie; they do worry us so, don't they? I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, but agree with what everyone else has said. I hope he's perked up since you last posted, give him a big cuddle for me!

angieh
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone - I am due to take him back to the vet this afternoon at 3.40 Yesterday he ate some poached chicken and surprisingly vomited it back about 4 hours later, almost unchanged. He had a dry vomiting session around midnight and then managed to keep some milk down which saw him through the night.

I phoned the vet first thing this morning to make his appointment and meanwhile OH tried him on a sachet of Iams Senior + (free sample) and over the next hour he ate the whole contents of the sachet and (so far) has kept it down. Just to prove to the vet what a liar I am I expect! Now have to race round and see if I can find some more of the same food. I've got to the point of not caring what he eats, so long as it's something and it stays inside him.

I'll let you all know how he gets on this afternoon. As he has actually eaten this morning I am now not sure whether his mouth is still sore, the antibiotics having kicked in perhaps, or whether he is just so hungry he has tried to ignore the pain. Poor lambkin.

meep
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Poor wee Merlin :( I am really pleased to hear he ate some of his Senior food, lets hope that one's a winner for him! Do let us know how he gets on, hopefully it's just a bit of him being unsettled and he'll be back to normal soon.

angieh
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Think you have made the right choice in waiting till tomorrw Angie eating even a little is a good sign. Maybe he is just not hungry older cats are a "enigma" sometimes.

I'm beginning to think that is SO TRUE! Good thing I've never been a nail-biter - I'd be up to my elbows by now!

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Poor dear; hope all goes well this afternoon.

angieh
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
We are back from the vet. Merlin has to go in tomorrow to have bloods done and we will wait on the results of those tests to decide whether he should have a dental operation.

As they have the blood results taken before his op in June, happily they have a comparison.

He was not a happy cat at the vet and used some bad language which was heard in reception. He is now fast asleep on MIL's lap!

dinahsmum
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
He's allowed - poor old boy

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't blame him a bit! Did he eat before his nap?

angieh
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, Eileen - he did - a small amount, but he did eat!

Edited to say: He can eat as much as he wants until 10.00 tonight and then he will have to be starved for his blood test. Luckily, that is at 9.00 tomorrow morning. He will probably have to be put in a cat bag to have his blood taken. I am NOT looking forward to it!

Phoenix
06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Poor Merlin! :( Hope he gets better soon! Give him gentle strokes from me please angieh!

Kazz
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
All the best for Merlin tomorrow all will be fine.

Elaine
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow Angie, I will be thinking of you both xxx

dandysmom
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
As will I....hope it's not too traumatic for either of you.......

angieh
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
We were both back safely from the vet by 9.30 - Merlin was very good. Vet put him in a cat bag and said he was very calm. No swearing. I sat outside and waited and it was done so quickly I am sure Merlin never really knew what was going on.

He had been miaowing for his breakfast before we went, and on return, he has eaten several small dishes of food and is now having a well earned sleep on our bed. He was such a good boy.

Results should be at the vet tomorrow. I have to phone if I've not heard anything by mid-day.

Kazz
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
See told you Merlin would be fine.

meep
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
That's great to hear Angie :) Especially good news that he's eating, and with relish!

dinahsmum
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Good good!
Feed him up!

Mags
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Good news all round! :D

yola
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Excellent! Glad to hear the old fella behaved himself (nothing like a stroppy pensioner is there ;) ).

pinklizzy
07-10-2008, 01:06 PM
So glad it all went well and he's eaten. Hugs to Merlin X

dandysmom
07-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Great news!

Phoenix
07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
So glad to hear the good news! :-D

angieh
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone! Hopefully, the blood test will indicate whether or not Merlin will be OK to have a dental. Then I'll start worrying all over again!

Phoenix
07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone! Hopefully, the blood test will indicate whether or not Merlin will be OK to have a dental. Then I'll start worrying all over again!

Sounds about right for me with Beauty ...

Stroke Merlin from me please angieh!