PDA

View Full Version : The time has come...

nellie
03-10-2008, 11:38 PM
... for me to get my kitties spayed.

Sherlock & Watson will be 6 months next month I have read thats the best age to get them done, do you guys agree?

The other thing is they live in a cattery. Once they have had their op's will they be okay outside while they recover?

I would love to bring them in but aside from the fact that I don't think they would appriciate being indoors (they love ther home!) me having 4 dogs in the house means indoors isn't really an option.

Just reall need advice on the whole situation... If anyone can help?:)

trish
04-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi honey,
six months is the perfect time to have your two boys neutered, they will be fine outside in their home, when they come back. they may be a little groggy when they first come home from the vets, but that usually wears off in a few hours, if they have an accomadation section in their run that you could close off for the first 12 hours when they get home and leave them in there with a litter tray and some nice warm bedding that would help. A light meal before they bed down for the night is all they will need food wise, some steamed chicken or fish, but no heavy cat food or biscuits because this can sometimes make them a bit sick after the operation. Please don,t worry, its a simple procedure and most cats are up and bouncing around within 12 hours sometimes sooner :-)

Mags
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm pleased to hear that you have now decided to get your two girls spayed ....... 6 months is the perfect time to do it.:D

Cats discharged on the same day after surgery may experience more soreness if not confined to a small area. They may feel groggy from the pain injection which is advantageous because they will remain calm and allow the healing process to start immediately.

Food and water are usually withheld until later that night or until the next day and the cats should be kept quiet and not allowed outside. It also allows their body temperature to adjust after anaesthetic.

Keep contact with children and other pets to a minimum the first night and restrict activity for several days to follow to allow the incision to heal.

Your vet should give you full post-operative care instructions at the time of the procedure.

Well done on making this responsible decision, please let us know the date they are being spayed. :D

nellie
04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify, dispite their names my kitties are both girlies...

I have always planned to get them both spayed just didn't want to have them done too young.

So I'll be booking op's for late November.

Elvisisboss
05-10-2008, 12:18 AM
hiya my vet has said to me between 4-5months for my boy, so he has to wait a couple of weeks as his due his 2nd injection on monday, hell prob go in the sat after :)

Kazz
05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay I am ingrigued why have you named two girls Sherlock & Watson???????????????:)

Sure they will be fine after spaying.

nellie
05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Okay I am ingrigued why have you named two girls Sherlock & Watson???????????????:)

:lol: We planned to get one kitten, when thinking of names my daughter & hubby came up with Sherlock, so I agreed thinking I'd call her 'Sherllie' for short. When I'd read that 2 kitties would be better & there was another girl in the litter, I wanted to call the 2nd 'Hemlock' but everyone else agreed it had to be 'Watson'.:roll:

Kazz
05-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Well I have to say love the names......they sound adorable, best luc with the spaying.

Elaine
05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Bless them both, I am sure all will be just fine after the spay op. Can we have some piccies please?:D

Brigoose
08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I've been doing abit of research on the ideal age to get cats spayed , seems there is abit of controversy , alot of people are claimed that you should wait until 9 months, because before then they do not have time to fully develop and it inhibits the release of safe testosterone levels in males(im not sure about oestrogen in females) meaning that they can develop all sorts of problems, all of our males have never had any hormone/genital related problems though *touch wood* Soxy will be getting done within the next few weeks.

I wouldnt let them out straight after they have had it, leave them in overnight then see how they are doing the next morning, females take alot longer to recover than males. Nothing to worry about, just so the anaesthic has time to wear off,so no dirt gets into the stitches and so they don't rip them open. Saying that its abit hard to stop them from moving around if they are naturally abit on the wild side!

Elvisisboss
08-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I've been doing abit of research on the ideal age to get cats spayed , seems there is abit of controversy , alot of people are claimed that you should wait until 9 months, because before then they do not have time to fully develop and it inhibits the release of safe testosterone levels in males(im not sure about oestrogen in females) meaning that they can develop all sorts of problems, all of our males have never had any hormone/genital related problems though *touch wood* Soxy will be getting done within the next few weeks.

I wouldnt let them out straight after they have had it, leave them in overnight then see how they are doing the next morning, females take alot longer to recover than males. Nothing to worry about, just so the anaesthic has time to wear off,so no dirt gets into the stitches and so they don't rip them open. Saying that its abit hard to stop them from moving around if they are naturally abit on the wild side!

i went to the vets tonight & he recomended 9 months as well, so that is what i am going to do! :)

Brigoose
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hopefully its changing everywhere then!
Cant wait for the photos of your norwegian forest cat if you get one! i was after one also, but everyone already moans about ours hunting, and im sure they will hunt more than the average!

pinklizzy
10-10-2008, 09:37 PM
We still recommend 6 months, obviuosly as long as the kittens are well-developed enough as sadly at nine months a large majority seem to already be pregnant :evil: as they have been left to wander.

Elvisisboss
10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Hopefully its changing everywhere then!
Cant wait for the photos of your norwegian forest cat if you get one! i was after one also, but everyone already moans about ours hunting, and im sure they will hunt more than the average!

lol! my older cat elvis is a BIG hunter.............he brought home a Duck once..........!! :shock: i dont mind its in his nature to get voles etc :D

i have foudn a fantastic breeder she has a blue tortie and its the most amazing looking cat ive ever seen its still forsale i wish i had the money now as id go and buy it tom!! :D

We still recommend 6 months, obviuosly as long as the kittens are well-developed enough as sadly at nine months a large majority seem to already be pregnant :evil: as they have been left to wander.

i think he said that as well as my cat is small. my odler cat was neutered early about 5/6months but that was 11years ago!

i cant understand these people who get 9 month old cats pregnant?! thats like a child pregnant! :roll: