PDA

View Full Version : "Bless You"

meep
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I've noticed that every time I sneeze, if Minsky is in the room or nearby he'll let out a little croaky meow, like "mra-a-a-a-ow", very high-pitched. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but having been aware of it, now I am sure that every time I sneeze, he'll make this wee meow straight afterwards.

I know he's not actually saying "bless you" but it's so cute! I can't work out if he's distressed by the noise, or he likes it, or is just chatting. If I have a sneezing fit, of 5 or 6 in a row, he'll make the meow 5 or 6 times in a row.

The funny wee quirks our cats have :roll:

Tink
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
sounds like minsky is very intelligent..too cute !!

meep
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
It is very! i'd love to catch it on camera, but when sneezing it's hard to aim a camera :lol: I do have quite an emphatic sneeze, but like I said, I can't work out what the appeal is for him in it!

Elvisisboss
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
awwww!!! that is sooo sweet!!! he might be saying it!!! :D :D

i hope you get it on camera!! but then you dont know when your going to sneeze do you!!

angieh
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
That really does sound cute, meep. Dear Minsky!

Perhaps he does not associate the noise you make with a sneeze and is just trying to reply to your noise with his own. Do you do/say anything to him if he sneezes?

I think he sounds very intelligent and I bet he is communicating something!

dandysmom
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
That is sooo funny! If they could only talk! It's obviously some sort of communication, but what?????

Phoenix
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I think he's saying the feline equivalent of bless you! Sooo cute!

meep
04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for kind comments all, Minsky is an intelligent lad but a bit crazy sometimes! This morning he sneezed whilst lying on the bed and I just said "bless you Minsky!" in a high-pitched voice. I don't know if he associates my sneezing with his sneezing. I seem to pick up from his meows when he does it that he's concerned for me, as if to say "are you alright?"

Speaking of the wonderful boy I've got some great photos of him asleep on my lap that I must upload soon... :)

dinahsmum
04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Aww, sweet.
I don't know about cats saying 'Bless You' but I do remember reading or hearing a lovely piece on how every cat, with every sneeze (its own sneeze), adopts a look of utter suprise, as if its the first time any cat has ever done that :)

dandysmom
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Very interesting, never heard that! Must watch for Leia to sneeze ......

Darky
06-10-2008, 08:34 AM
XD Awww.

Much better than Honey's response to sneezing! He stares at you as if you've just done the most offensive, terrifying thing in existance.