PDA

View Full Version : Anti-smoking ads

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Graphic pictures (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Smoking-Kills-New-Law-Means-Picture-Warnings-Will-Be-Printed-On-Cigarette-Packets/Media-Gallery/200809415107679?lpos=UK_News_Article_Related_Conte nt_Region_2&lid=GALLERY_15107679_Smoking_Kills%3A_New_Law_Mean s_Picture_Warnings_Will_Be_Printed_On_Cigarette_Pa ckets) will be printed on cigarette packets. (Yucky! especially the tumour on the guy's neck)
If you are a smoker, will this have any affect on you?
Do you think it may prevent children starting smoking?

meep
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I am a non-smoker: never have, never will. My dad used to smoke 40 - 60 a day at the peak of his stressful life running his own business.

My take on it is:

Smoking is an addiction. Everyone in Western Society by now should know of all the effects smoking has on your health. Unlike some health warnings, they are serious. From wrinkly skin, a raspy throat, coughing up phlegm, withdrawl symptoms, right through to cancer, we all know smoking is bad for us.

So why to people persist? Because it's addictive. All they need to do is break the addicition and they're done. I know it's easy to say and not so easy to do, but if my dad went from smoking 60 a day to having had none in the past 10 years (not even a 'cheeky' one) anyone can do it.

The throat cancer image is certainley off-putting. I think it should stop children from smoking. Not 100% across the board, but it's creating an associatoin between smoking = pain, rather than smoking = cool as it was even when I was a teenager.

On a bit of a tangent, I've been watching that programme on C4 about educating Britain on sex. They've shown some school kids graphic images of genitals that have STIs, and I think it really hit home for the kids and made them realise that if they don't pratice safe-sex with a condom, they could do their bodies real damage. And I think this anti-smoking campaign could work in the same way.

yola
01-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I have no problem with this stance. Everyone is aware of the ills of smoking so reinforcing them is no bad thing. I suppose I'm a bit of a non-smoking evangelist, as I went from 20-30 a day to stop as soon as I found out I was pregnant with Domi. Haven't touched one since and would never consider doing so again!

I hope it stops both current and future smokers, I know we'll get the usual cries of 'infringement of human rights' but tell a 5 year old child that their parent or grandparent is dying of cancer as a result of smoking, and then tell me whose human right is being voilated??

*edit to say, ooops, sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant . . .

Moli
01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been a non smoker for the past 18months, and my hubby still smokes, quite honestly if someone is determined to smoke, do not think these ad's would make any difference......They do not to him...

meep
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Moli, I agree that the ads won't convert all smokers, but I think one of their primary remits is to discourage younger children who have yet to start smoking at all.

PoshPuss
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I've never smoked so cannot fathom the attraction, it's smelly and dirty and looks unattractive. For some reason kids think its cool :roll: ANYTHING that makes them think twice has got to be good. My best friend smokes and her partner too, they are polite not to smoke in my house they pop outside to the garden) but when they visit I can smell it for ages afterwards and it makes me heave.

With all the negative connections, from the high risk of cancer, to the almost trivial, bad breath etc. WHAT makes people want to anymore. Adults will tell you they wish they'd never started, but they have been doing that for years, even when penalised by taxation on fags they continue. Some women I know would rather smoke and have a cuppa than eat. My pregnant ladies have difficulty breaking the habit. This is such an addictive drug; yet help is available to quit.
Smokers helplines give you pointers to help reduce. In our area there are group sessions in the health centres, nicotines patches are given and can be used ( even in pregnancy!) I implore any smokers on the forum to try and give up, don't be setting a bad example for the kids.

OK, I'm preaching :) but it's for your own good! :lol:

Fran
01-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Nope, I am afraid it will not alter my enjoyment of smoking ;) But I guess if it discourages youngsters from starting to smoke then I am all for the advertisements.

angieh
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I do agree with what everyone has said and, if it helps stop young people from starting in the first place, then that's good.

What interests me, as a previous smoker, is what actually provides the motivation to stop smoking. My parents smoked, and my mother gave me my first cigarette in a fairly traumatic moment on Victoria Station! Many times over the years I tried giving up and perhaps stopped for a few months and then started again. This time, I have not smoked since the beginning of June 2007 - I still get the urge for a ciggie now and then, but wouldn't dream of lighting up. I can't put my finger on what's actually changed apart from the fact that my OH gave up before me and that made it a whole lot easier.

You have to want for yourself to give up - not for other people or for saving money or really even for your own health. I think there is something else that motivates finally quitting. Wish I knew what it was!

Moli
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Thinks thats it Angie, you have to want to give up, I stopped July 2007, it was the right time for me....

Mags
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I really hope these adverts will have the impact intended on today's smokers.

It appears that the offer of free 'stop smoking' sessions and stop smoking products on the NHS are a complete waste of NHS funds. People will go to their doctor for what they think is a magical cure but if they are not in the right frame of mind to want to give up smoking, no amount of NHS help will cure them of their addiction. The money would be far better spent on helping the many people who are afflicted by terrible illnesses through no fault of their own.

Maybe these adverts will now make parents think twice about what their children may have to face in years to come.

I used to smoke and I stopped years ago......without the aid of patches or tablets, just determination. My husband also smoked and he stopped a year after I did - again through determination. We both enjoyed smoking but the thought of the harm it could do to our children and of ailing health to ourselves, made it easier to stop.

It is true you can tell a smoker in the street by their sallow, wrinkled skin and above all, the smell of tobacco on their breath stays with them.

Maybe this advertising campaign is just what is needed for the message to strike home ........... I would also add to it "Save yourself, preserve the young"

calismum
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I am another ex smoker (1986 was my last) I had a particularly nasty chest infection and decided that was it - no more.

Not sure if the ads will make a difference to adult smokers who have probably seen or heard it before but either think it won't happen to me or don't want to know.

What I hope is that it will scare kids into either not starting or quitting. I think that is where we need to concentrate.

Wonder if health could do something in schools to hit it home ever harder.

CM:)

Kim
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I really hope these adverts have an affect, especially on youngsters thinking about starting smoking. I have never smokeds and cannot see the attraction at all. Expensive, makes your clothes, hair and breath reek, and that's without the numerous smoking related health problems. When I was a Marie Curie nurse, I nursed a patient dying from smoking related lung cancer, her husband still smoked. :roll: