PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Indoor Cats Alone for One Night

meep
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I am wondering if it is possible to leave two indoor cats alone in the flat alone for one night?

My OH and I are thinking of taking a break in a hotel (in Glasgow! so not far from home) for one night, as a wee treat. We would leave the flat around 5pm and be back the next day around 1pm, so not even 24 hours gone.

So far we have left the boys for 13 hours: previously we had left at 1pm and not gotten back in until 2am. Whilst we were gone quite a long time, this wasn't over night. When we returned they weren't overly anxious, and actually have been more worked up if we'd not come home at 5pm but instead 6pm after work!

If we did leave them alone we'd have the timed feeder which could pop open in the morning with their food. My gut instinct is that this should be ok, and won't do them much harm. There are two of them, to keep each other company, and whilst they love us being around and human interaction, they are independent!

Has anyone done this before? Any advice to give? I don't at all want to seem neglectful or selfish, which is why I'm asking for advice first to make sure it won't be harmful to my boys!

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about doing this.
Make sure they are safe and go off and enjoy yourselves :)

yola
01-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I have left the cats overnight before with no ill effects at all. Might be worth investing in an extra water/food bowl and an additional litter tray incase of poo-fests but otherwise the only other advice I would offer is to put breakables out of the way. Mine knocked over a vase on a table and smashed it when we were away. Not worried about the vase but it did occur to me that they might have cut themselves.

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Phew - saw you were responding as my post came up Yola. Thought 'oh no - what if Yola says this is the most irresponsible idea ever'? So, I'm glad we feel the same.

Animals aren't supposed to appreciate the passage of time per se - just hunger pangs etc to show that it has passed, so as long as they are safe and fed they should just enjoy extra snoozes

meep
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advice Yola and DM! We already have two litter trays out at all times, and they are regular with poos so shouldn't do more than one each in the time we're gone. Also, the timed feeder means they'll have enough meals out for them, and I'll put out more than enough dry! Also an extra water bowl I think as they like lots of water.

I know I'll feel pangs of guilt and will miss them over night, but OH and I do need a night away to ourselves - really looking forward to it :)

yola
01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Lucky you meep! I wonder if litter trays and timed feeders would do for 2 small boys . . . . hmmmm :shock:

meep
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
:lol: Maybe just hook them up to an X-Box and they won't notice 24 hours have passed ;)

angieh
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I think you will supply them with everything they could need and I would try not to worry and go and enjoy yourselves! Do you have a neighbour you would trust to pop in if you feel anxious?

meep
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I do have a nehbour, luckily, who lives 30 seconds away (a rarity when living in a big city!) so she could pop in if need be but I don't want to take advantage, as I am hoping that if we ever go away for longer she would actually 'cat-sit' for me :roll: But yes, if I feel worried she could pop in. Although the hotel we're thinking of is 10 minutes away by taxi from the flat ,so if need be I could pop back myself :lol: (talk about over-protective?!)

angieh
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
NO meep! You really shouldn't do that! Your OH will get the idea that you love the cats more than you love him - that would never do!

meep
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
:lol: I know, I know, I am just being silly. And of course unless I got a phone call from a neighbour saying the front door had been broken down from the inside and two large cats were running around the building there'd be no reason for me to think they weren't ok and therefore I could just leave them be.

Like I said, we've been out from 1pm - 2am before so they have had experience of a being alone for a wee while without us, and I'm sure they'll be fine! They're not destructive at all *touch wood* when it comes to carpets, furniture etc. apart from toward each other! I can tell if they've been play-fighting as there's large balls of cat-hair / fluff floating around the wooden floors :roll:

calismum
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
meep - please do not worry about this.

I have left various cats overnight in the past. Just left extra litter trays, plenty water and a supply of dried fod. Borrowed a timed feeder for the wet food but that was probably a bit overkill.

( I left one cat from 11am on the Saturday until 9pm on the Sunday, for a family wedding in Wales, But please don't tell anybody. Apart from being in a huff he still had food left and was absolutely fine.)

Go and enjoy your time together. The boys will be ok.

CM

meep
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks CM, that's really reassuring :) I can imagine my two will be in a huff too but they'll get over it :roll:

I know when I was a kid, and we went on 5-day family holidays we used to leave our cats in the house (they had constant outdoor access to a very remote country-side with no roads or cars), and we had someone pop in to feed them once a day (put the food through the cat flap). They were always fine, a little confused when they saw us, as if to say "we were enjoying the house to ourselves!" :lol: But I've never left indoor-only cats alone which is why I was wondering.

dandysmom
02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Actually I've never done that. Rarely I've been out and not home till 2 - 3 am, cats were fine. All the above advice sounds very reasonable to me; go and enjoy the "us time"!

Elvisisboss
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM
sometimes my dad stays away for the night and my cat is always fine, sometiems he does have a sneeky poop though :lol: if he can not wait, but his normally really good, dad leaves cat milk & food open for him, and he jsut sleeps to be honest!

have a great time! :D