PDA

View Full Version : A question for those who feed their cats a raw meat diet.

Emmaandhercats
30-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Hello, I am due to get 2 kittens in 3 weeks, and I am wanting to introduce a raw meat diet, was wondering if anyone on here feeds their cat/s raw, and if so what is the best way to introduce it gradually? And what is the best meat for them? Do i need to add any suppliments?
Thanks Emmaandhercats. xx

calismum
01-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I have very little knowledge about this. I have to ask why though? You would need to be very sure they got all the nutrients etc. they need. Alfie certainly enjoys the odd bit of raw beef as a treat.

Look forward to hearing other members views. Maybe someone will come along who has experience with that type of diet.

CM

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Hello Emma
Do you mean you want to give your babies raw meat as part of their diet or are you planning a barf (all raw) diet?
All raw is quite complicated and will involve supplements etc.
If you do plan barf I take my hat off to you - I was very interersted in doing it for my two but somehow never got round .... story of my life!

There are some long and detailed threads here if you search on raw feeding etc. You'll even see a video of my Bentley, quite young, munching on a chicken wing!

Come back here if you want to ask new questions or chew (arf arf) the subject over again.

Emmaandhercats
01-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Hello Emma
Do you mean you want to give your babies raw meat as part of their diet or are you planning a barf (all raw) diet?
All raw is quite complicated and will involve supplements etc.
If you do plan barf I take my hat off to you - Come back here if you want to ask new questions or chew (arf arf) the subject over again.

Hi, yes I was wanting to introduce an all raw diet (barf), the way I see it is this:- I dont feed my son processed food, so why would i feed my kittens them! I have looked alot into it,am a trained chef (tho not professional anymore!) so I know what is nutritious, how to prepare foo etc, and luckily have a very good butchers round the corner! but was just wanting some peoples advice, etc and maybe some info on where to buy the suppliments, and which ones are the best. Thanks for 'hat' by the way!
Emma xx

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I've had a quick look through old threads but there doesn't seem to be one comprehensive one.
This may be the best link (http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.php) and gives a recipe with all the taurines etc

I've reminded myself that minced beef is a no-no unless it has been previously frozen

Keep us posted won't you? (and make me feel guilty about not doing raw :roll: - but they do get chicken wings and rabbit legs)

Emmaandhercats
01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I've had a quick look through old threads but there doesn't seem to be one comprehensive one.
This may be the best link (http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.php) and gives a recipe with all the taurines etc

I've reminded myself that minced beef is a no-no unless it has been previously frozen

Keep us posted won't you? (and make me feel guilty about not doing raw :roll: - but they do get chicken wings and rabbit legs)

Chicken wings and rabbit legs, at least they are getting them! thats v good for them! and i bet they love u even more for it!
I will check out the link thank you. xx

dinahsmum
01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/th_MOV02109.jpg
(http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/?action=view&current=MOV02109.flv)

How to munch a chicken wing (excuse dark vid - but you can hear the happy crunching)

Emmaandhercats
01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Ah bless! OMG...I am so excited to get my kittens, only 3 weeks and 2 days...It feels like ages though!
I have just read that link that was posted, it is full of useful information. I am going to have a look at the websites that sell the suppliments, and print off some recipies! x

calismum
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Good luck. Sounds like you've thought it all through!:D

Can I butt in (even tho' it's not my thread:oops: ) do you mean give chicken wings, bones and all? See, you need to forgive me, I'd just panic they choked!!!!

Bet it'll be the longest wait ever until they arrive.

CM

Emmaandhercats
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Good luck. Sounds like you've thought it all through!:D

Can I butt in (even tho' it's not my thread:oops: ) do you mean give chicken wings, bones and all? See, you need to forgive me, I'd just panic they choked!!!!

Bet it'll be the longest wait ever until they arrive.

CM

chicken bones:-yeah, bones are important in a cats barf diet, calcium is fundamental for a cats diet.

And 3 weeks...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...im going mad waiting! my neighbours cat is sat on my lap now, padding my fluffy dressing gown! luckily he is a great substitute till i get my kittens!

Elaine
01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bonesandcalcium.php

I know of people who use this with raw feeding, thought it might help.

dinahsmum
02-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Calismum - don't panic over bones!

Barf feeders give their cats ground up meat and bones; if you give chicken wings or rabbit joints, yup, puss crunches and crunches and eats them all up! Scarey at first but just think - what would puss do if it was living wild and caught itself something big like a rabbit or pigeon - answer ... eat the lot! (Did you get the sound on my vid of Bentley? - crunch, crunch, crunch!)

Always raw bones, never cooked!

I was suprised when I first gave wings, that the cats started at the 'meaty end' and if they get full and there's anything left, it's the 'fingery' end. You'd think they'd eat the softer stuff first, but they obviously like the bigger bones.

furriefriend
15-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I feed both my dogs raw not barf there is a slight difference. My kitten will also eat raw and will argue with the dog for chicken wings, dogs seem to love it but cats seem to take longer to adjust unless you sart at the early weeks. Have a look at rawmeaty bones websit or join brif barf . They talk mainly about dogs but cats are good on raw to its natural. Add raw fish,tinned fish in olive oil, cottage cheese and raw egg as long as it is raw go for it I love seeing them eat natural it some how seems right. I dont use supplements after my research it doesnt seem necessary, they would't get it in the wild just a wide diet of meat and fish including offal

za9za00
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Emma,

drop karen at kiskasiberians an email (karen@kiskasiberians.co.uk) she feed all her cats and kittens raw with no suppliments and has the Best Siberian cat in Europe.

Andrew

furriefriend
13-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Good luck with raw feeding. Both my dogs are raw fed and do great they love it. The kitten will eat some raw but not enough to sustain him , my older cat wont entertain it and I havent got the patience or time to convert her. I was very dubious when I started but now I wouldn't go back with the dogs it is so easy and healthy