PDA

View Full Version : 'Mating' behaviour

meep
30-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I may be misinterpreting, but Minsky has an unusual habit.

Either on the bed or couch, he'll start kneading with his paws and then arch his back and try and rub his nether regions against something - either a cusion or my legs if I'm in bed! He'll keep kneading with a very determined look on his face. Before I thought it was just kneading, then I thought he might be trying to go for the toilet as he was 'sqautting' but last night, I was on the couch under a blanket and he began squatting against a cusion; and then his back end juddered and he kind of...humped the cushion. :shock:

He has definately been done, and there were no, ahem, traces on the cushion after I pushed him off.

He does it maybe once a week that I can see.

There isn't technically anything wrong in him doing this. He isn't destroying any furniture or making a mess.

I don't know if I should tell him off for doing this? I really do think he's imitating mating, but Darcy doesn't seem phased. Is he maybe trying to mark me as his territory as he only does on when I'm sitting there, either on the couch or in bed.

I'm a wee bit confused :? Anyone had a similar experience or any advice?

dinahsmum
30-09-2008, 12:20 PM
No - I've never seen this behaviour in cats. We all know some dogs are notorious for loving legs, teddies,rugs etc. so I guess that is what Minsky is doing too.
Maybe someone else has some more helpful advice for you? I can't think he is doing any harm, unless he embarrasses you when you invite the vicar to tea!

meep
30-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the reply DM. It really doesn't do any harm, to our furniture or his health, but it just seems...wrong.

I was sitting there reading my book and then he started rubbing up against a pillow against my knee, for a good 5 minutes (I wanted to watch him to see exactly what he was doing) and his back end kept juddering. I felt like a perv! And he's a BIG cat so there was a whole lotta cat in my face :? :shock:

meep
30-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Also, I meant to add, I would like to stop him doing it by telling him off every time he does, as it is a bit... ick. But I don't want to just yet in case it's bad to stop a cat doing these things. Perhaps he's marking his territory and to tell him off would confuse him or make him a bit reclusive?

I was going to try and film it on my camera phone to show you all on here, as I can't explain it properly, but then I thought that would be REALLY wrong.

angieh
30-09-2008, 12:45 PM
This is interesting meep. I think you have responded correctly, by not telling him off or making any response at all.

Whilst not agreeing in every respect with your description of Minsky's behaviour, this article does go some way to detailing very similar behaviour.

http://www.mmilani.com/feline-behavior-fundamentals2.html

The bit I mean is about 6 paras up from the references.

I thought this was very interesting but couldn't see that it offers any idea how to stop the behaviour. The important thing is not to respond to it.

yola
30-09-2008, 12:45 PM
My Fifi does the 'backing up against something and wiggling/juddering her tail'. Likewise she doesn't actually spray so I let her get on with it.

Now Balie, who has also been done will (usually in spring) try and mount Fifi - much to her disgust. Again, he kind of 'goes through the motions' but doesn't really get it (poor love :roll: ). I don't usually stop this either, usually because I'm PMSL-ing at the sight!

I don't think Minsky's got any major problems, sexual, psychological or otherwise; I think he's just wishing he was a randy old puss :oops:

meep
30-09-2008, 12:56 PM
That's a very interesting article Angie, thanks for posting it for me! Now I feel all embarrased that Minsky may consider me his 'mate' :oops: I've never seen him do it anywhere except either on my legs in bed (when I'm under the covers) or more recently, against me or a cushion near me on the couch. It's not like the fast-paced, mad humping of a dog, but much slower and controlled...

Yola, that did make me laugh :lol: Poor Minsky wishing he was a randy old puss! :lol: :lol: :lol: It doesn't bother me too much, although if I have friends round and he starts up I would push him away as it is quite distracting! I was just so puzzled by it. Like I said, at first I thought he was treating my bed like the litter tray, with his pawing and squatting, but finally realised what the poor boys doing.

I will just try to ignore it, although it was so distracting yesterday when all I could see over the top of my book was his bum wiggling in my face :roll: I just don't want to confuse him or contradict his instincts.

Darcy doesn't seem phased by it at all, so I don't think it's harmful if he's being territorial. Although I have noticed he only does it when Darcy is asleep somewhere else.

angieh
30-09-2008, 01:00 PM
That was only the first reference I picked out meep. You may be able to find others with remedies that may help. I googled "feline sexualised behaviour".

Good luck.

meep
30-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks Angie - I'll have a wee search myself tonight; best not get carried away searching now or I'll never get work done :roll:

yola
30-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, meep, and your boss might get a bit 'concerned' if they register you having searched 'feline sexual behaviour' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

meep
30-09-2008, 03:24 PM
:lol: They may well Yola! They know I have cats but not as much about them as all you do! I know I'm on here a lot, but I find I don't work productively unless I have something to distract myself with every half hour or so. If I was tied to a computer with no internet access I'd probably get a lot less done in a day; strange I know :roll:

yola
30-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Me too!!! I tend to have Catsey open all day and just flick fowards and back in order to give myself a breather from the slog of writing; at the moment about removal companies!!!!

meep
30-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Creative writing in any capacity is intense! A lot of my marketing work is copy based, right now I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for content for our magazie, and in need of light relief! Catsey is perfect for that :)

Good luck with the removal company copy! :? :)

angieh
30-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Off topic I know - but how do you two write about stuff that you may not find at all interesting????? I'm fine writing about stuff I like or know about, but I'm hopeless otherwise!

meep
30-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Angie, yes and no. Some of the stuff I write does spark a curiosity, but it's not my passion. My passion would be English Literature; I could happily spend hours upon hours researching and writing an English Lit essay at Uni and not feel as though it were work, whereas the copy I write here, even though interesting, is somewhat of a chore.

I'm writing for a student audience, and of student events, which makes it a bit easier as I can relate - but I get so sick of using the same buzz words over and over! The market is saturated with companies similar to us putting on similar events with similar marketing literature.

yola
30-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I know meep does it for her employer, but I just think about the invoice at the end of the job!!! Well, most of the time. If I'm interested in the subject I make a point of finding out about it and that research process is very interesting.:-D

meep
30-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree with Yola, I enjoy the research part. But sometimes it gets a bit monotonous, as I stay in the same sector. Yola, do you branch out to differnet subject areas?

dandysmom
30-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Yola, that was very interesting about Fifi backing up and juddering her tail....Misty used to do that; I had no idea it was a sexualized behavior! The things I've learned on Catsey....:shock: