PDA

View Full Version : Winter Petunia

calismum
29-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Found this today - anyone heard anything about them?

http://www.gardeningdirect.com/Wintunia%20NEW/AF260,default,pd.html

Think I might try and find some reviews. Our garden is so exposed and windy in winter I never quite believe that fully winter hardy applies to me:lol:

CM

angieh
29-09-2008, 08:14 PM
That's really a new one CM! Quite expensive atm - I'd wait to see if they were still offered for sale next year!!!

dandysmom
29-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Interesting plant; never heard of it before. I'm inclined to agree with Angie on this.

If you want winter flowering, have you thought of hellebores? I'm not sure how they react to wind, will do a Google. Mine have gotten larger and larger every year and are a joy in the gloomy dark days. But our Winters aren't terribly severe here.

calismum
29-09-2008, 09:50 PM
We are about 500 feet above sea level on an exposed hill so we get strong winds, heavy frosts and quite bad wind chill. Snow is deep but not as big a problem.

Never thought about hellebores DM as you know I'm trying to build up the garden from just lawn. I have about third of acre and am trying to make different 'rooms' or areas. Will do a google and see if I can get any info on how they might survive.

If not I may buy one in spring to let it acclimatise over the summer and autumn.

Thanks for the idea.

CM