PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's health

angieh
29-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I am getting concerned again about Merlin's general health. As most of you will already know, he is 22 years old and is getting more frail by the day.

I suppose the change came about after I gave him the Capstar tablet - he had a day of up-chucking his food and only being able to keep down a bit of milk. Luckily, I had some sensitivity food and put him on that, which he ate well and was no longer sick. Then I was unwell and he had to rely on OH feeding him - OH said that he was eating ordinary food OK, but when I was up and about again on Saturday Merlin again vomited his ordinary food, but managed to eat and retain some white fish which I cooked for him. Yesterday, however he wouldn't touch his normal cat food, or the white fish, but went crazy over some raw beef mince (prev. frozen) and throughout the day, managed to eat quite a lot in several smallish portions and ate this with relish and asked for more! I do love to see him enjoying food. Today he won't touch anything and, at the moment, is fast asleep with MIL.

He has been pooing, but small hard lumps - nothing like his normal motions.

I do think that I will have to take him to see the vet -

The thing is .................. he has lost a lot more weight, as elderly cats do, especially around his hindquarters and therefore is less able to keep himself warm in the cold weather to come. OK - so I've got loads of ways of keeping him warm, cozy bed, thermal cushion, snugglesafe, kickheater in the kitchen, logburner in the lounge or just cuddling anyone who happens to be sitting down.

I don't want to try desperately to keep him going, when it would be kinder to ask the vet to pts. I think I've probably asked this question before, but ...... what do you think????

calismum
29-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh angieh what a hard question.

I think only you really know the answer to that one.

My personal view is that if one of my animals no longer is enjoying life, and are not able to do things they should - like grooming and being pain free, and there is no real prospect of it improving then I think that we have a wonderful gift that we can give to them.

Many years ago I had a discussion with my vet who told me that, in his view, it was a privilege that we have and can give to our most treasured friends. I have never forgotton that and for the many, many animal friends I have shared that time with, I know I did the right thing for them. But it is as hard each time as if it were the first and I can still cry when I think of any of them.

I know personally when I start to ask other people what they think that the thought is in my own head.

Yes, I would talk to your vet and get his view. Maybe a virus or a little off colour, maybe teeth problems, maybe lots of things, at the end of the day you have to do what you think is right for him.

I wish you all the best and hope that a good solution is found for both of you. (see - you've got me crying big drops over the keyboard now as I'm remembering all my lovely boys and girls over the years)

CM

yola
29-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I think CM has summed up so well what I was about to say. The essence of which is (a) you know you cat the best so only you can make that deterioration assessment, potentially with help from your vet and (b) you need to consider his quality of life above all.

I think you will know when Merlin's had enough. I also think that this dialogue is you preparing yourself for the inevitable and maybe 'thinking out loud' in order to help straighten things in your own mind.

Having said that, he has come round before and probably will do again. I do wish him continued health for a long time to come.

Mags
29-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Angie.... CM and Yola have both put my thoughts into words, you and Merlin have reached the stage where you need your vet's guidance and help. You know dear Merlin is getting older and weaker and you are at the stage where you are picking up on every little difference in his health and behaviour.

He is obviously not in any pain or you would not be asking our advice, you would know immediately what lay ahead.

Maybe the Capstar tablet upset his delicate system slightly........I would suggest you let you vet have a look at him and tell him exactly what you have told us above.

I wish you and Merlin all the best and send gentle, comforting vibes to you both.....((((hugs)))) x

dinahsmum
29-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Angie - what a sad and difficult time for you. Somehow it's easier to tell yourself that a frail oldie is enjoying their life, with whatever restictions it sufers, when the sun is shining. Add cold, unpleasant conditions outside, etc and the world seems a gloomier place and our oldies predicament seems less rosy.
Calismum has said what I would have said. Don't let your love for Merlin prevent you making that awful awful decision. If it's any help, I think the decision is worse than the action, which comes as the most enormous relief. Then you beat yourself up because you are feeling relieved :roll: .
There's no easy way out - this is the absolute downside of the joy and privilege of having a pet. Their lives are shorter than ours - we will witness their passing.

I hope Merlin is blooming with today's sun and that this is merely another small hiatus on his steady and dignified decline. Maybe he will see this winter through, and live to feel the spring sun warm his bones again. Wouldn't that be lovely?

I wish you strength in your situation. Fingers crossed for a good resolution, and if not, I hope you get the insight to know when it is that time. You will I am sure. You love Merlin and only want the best for him. If Merlin could speak to you he would tell you that he doesn't want to make you unhappy. So try not to be unhappy, however things go.
Hilary x

PoshPuss
29-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Angie, I can only concur with what the other ladies have said here. You know best. I just want to give you strength to cope with this dilemma so you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :-)

Elaine
29-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh Angie, I cannt add anything else to what the others have already said. I remember when dear old winston was slipping away, becoming more and more frail. Its not an easy time for you right now as it will always be in your mind but remember, you are Merlins advocate, you know him better than any one else, be guided by your vet and your love of whats best for him.
Wishing you both all my love and best wishes xxx

dandysmom
29-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I cannot add one word to the wisdom that's already been spoken so eloquently. You and Merlin are in my prayers, Angie.......

angieh
29-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. Things you have said make me realise how well you understand Merlin and me.

Moli
29-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I am so sorry to read this Angie, cannot add anything else, but thought and hugs with you and Merlin....xxx

Kazz
29-09-2008, 06:51 PM
My thoughts for what they are worth are simply this; Better a day to early than even a second to late. And their is no greater gift you can give to Merlin than to make the descision when the time is right. And sometimes as has been said the descision is harder than the action.My thoughts are with you. It is not easy but if it were easy....you would not be the person you are; a human who is loved by a cat.....which is kinda special I think.

Phoenix
29-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I can't really add anything more than what everyone else has said, apart from let yourself be guided by the vet. Best wishes from both Beauty and I!

meep
30-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I think all the best advice has already been given, and I agree with all that's been said. In my heart, I would love for it to be an 'off-spell' for dear Merlin, and that he will perk up and see it through the winter for another Spring. That is my hope and wish for both of you. But I do think what is most important is both of your happiness. If he gets weaker, it would break your heart to see him suffering, but if you consider letting him go it will hurt so much but you know he won't be in any pain and neither will you be watching him in pain.

It's such a tough decision to make, and I agree with Yola that perhaps you are preparing yourself for what is to come. Out of a deep respect and love for my boys,I would be thinking the same thoughts as yourself, and would ultimately make the same decision. I will hope and pray for Merlin, I do hope he perks up a little. All my love, hugs for you and the biggest purrs, prrps, and head-butts from Darcy and Minsky for Uncle Merlin x x

angieh
30-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your sensitive and thoughtful comments and suggestions.

I have an appointment to see the vet at 11.40 today - I will give Merlin every chance of course, but will rely on the vet's advice to a large degree at this point. I am prepared for the decision if the vet thinks that way too.

I'll let you know how things go of course.

meep
30-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Good luck Angie and Merlin! Thinking of you.

angieh
30-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Please will you all take a long deep breathe with me? Now count, one, two, three .............. and ................ out......

It's Merlin's teeth that are the problem and he has an infection in his mouth. His glands under his jaw are inflamed and he has had a long acting antibiotic and a pain killing injection. He is home and is now tucking into his food. OH thinks he is also a bit of a con artist!

That bowl of food is now empty by the way. I have got a coffee with a slug of rum in it!

yola
30-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh Angie. I am SO pleased that it's something as minor as a tooth infection. Of course it's probably very uncomfortable for the old boy but it is easily treatable and the fact he's eating again is a very positive sign.

Enjoy that rum . . . if I wasn't in the office I'd be joining you!!

dinahsmum
30-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh!
My finger was quite shakey on the mouse, as I expected bad news - and now I am all smiley smiley. :lol: Like that!
Hooray. I am so pleased for you.
So, get loads of food into him whilst he's in the mood

meep
30-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I never thought I'd be so happy to hear of a tooth infection! That's fantastic news Angie! Although not for poor Merlin and his sore mouth, but hopefully he'll be pain-free soon enough and back to his normal self :) What a good boy for eating all his food.

Enjoy that rum coffee ;)

Samz5
30-09-2008, 02:02 PM
So glad its all turned out ok for you :)

dandysmom
30-09-2008, 04:16 PM
What a relief! I'm sure we were all bracing ourselves for the worst...please give the dear boy a gentle cuddle from me and Leia!

angieh
30-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh, and I forgot to say earlier with the relief of it all -

Merlin has put on a small amount of weight since he last saw the vet. Not much, but at least he has not lost any more.

I have a follow up appointment on Thursday. Sorry - Merlin has the appointment, not me.

(He's already demolished a second bowl of food!)

dinahsmum
30-09-2008, 04:35 PM
More good news!
It's OK - we don't mind a drip feed of good news :)

Slightly off topic. I know we often laugh at ourselves and the way we fuss over our fur babies but, if you stop to think, we normally actually care for them, as in look after them, for a much longer period than any real child. I thought of this as we went through Min's decline. They have an early freedom, which we don't give human 2 year olds of course, but they never reach the same level of independence. Therefore they are our babies, and long-lasting babies.
No wonder the prospect of losing them crunches our hearts ....

dandysmom
30-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Beautifully put; I'd never looked at it that way, but you are so right.....

angieh
30-09-2008, 04:55 PM
You are absolutely right Hilary! I had never actually thought of it like that. I've had my baby for 22 years - ever such a long time!!!!

Kazz
30-09-2008, 05:56 PM
That H is a perfect description.....No wonder the prospect of losing them crunches our hearts

PoshPuss
30-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Phew! nice to have a happy post!
Yep, they are our babies coz they depend on us so and give us unconditional love. No teenage tantrums from them, no spiteful words. True innocence ( mostly ;) )

random
30-09-2008, 07:02 PM
So glad to hear he is ok, Anakin sends uncle Merlin gentle snuggles. x

angieh
30-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks PP and Random - Uncle Merlin sends nose nuzzles to his dear nephew. Auntie Angie sends chin tickles and a big cuddle. Anakin must be getting quite big now - is he due for "le chop" soon?

pinklizzy
30-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I've just read through this thread, I'm so glad to hear it's good news. Lots of gentle hugs to Merlin.
xxx

Elaine
30-09-2008, 08:30 PM
So very pleased to read the good news Angie:D

Moli
30-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Cannot say how pleased I am to read this Angie......you must be so relieved, as must poor Merlin, nothing worse than toothache....bug snuggle for him from me....xx

calismum
30-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Angieh - I am so pleased for both of you. I am glad that it turned out to be something that was able to be treated and he has put on a little weight.

Alfie, Kinsi and me send him purrs and chin tickles.

CM

Mags
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm so, so pleased at your news Angie.....I have been offline most of the day but I've been thinking of you both. Poor Merlin with his infected tooth, that's the best news I could wish to hear (if you know what I mean!):D