PDA

View Full Version : Not a bird brain!

dinahsmum
25-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Suprisingly the river is quite low now (it doesn't take much dry weather to run it down again - seems no time ago it was in full spate). We were walking to town and I noticed a swan, bottom feeding and remarked again how undignified a normally dignified creature looks when it's head down, tail up in the water. Anyway, he stopped dabbling and returned to normal pose, sitting quietly atop the water. Then he started paddling, from foot to foot, so you could see him rocking. I looked again, and made my OH look, to ensure I wasn't seeing things, or mistaking the swan just riffling his feathers. You'll guess what he was doing, paddling and stirring up the bottom mud and then putting his head down hoovering up the tasty treats he had disturbed. He did this twice.
I've lived in the country nearly all my life, and count myself as quite observant, but I've never seen that before (I've seen blackbirds stamping to attract worms). Maybe it was because the river level was just right for it?
Anybody else seen it?

yola
25-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Not me, never - even though we have masses of swans on the Thames. I guess they can't touch the bottom with their feet in such a big/deep river??

What do swans eat? Would it be water-grubs living in the mud or what?

Mags
25-09-2008, 06:20 PM
How interesting, I've never seen that either........it just goes to show how much they use their grey matter too!:D

Moli
25-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I have seen gulls do it, but never a swan.....will have to take notice now when the river near us is that low...

dandysmom
25-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Very interesting! I've never seen that, as we don't have swans on the Potomac, unfortunately; such stately birds. But suspect it would be far too deep for that. I believe swans eat primarily aquatic vegetation.

angieh
27-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I've never seen that behaviour either - didn't think they were usually bottom feeders but aquatic veg as Eileen said above. I'll make a point of going down to one of the Bosham creeks at low tide and see what the swans are up to!

yola
28-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Bosham? Is that the pretty bay where the water comes right up over the roads in high tide? Nice pubs? ;)

I'm sure I've been there on one of our visits to Hayling . . . .