PDA

View Full Version : Eye test and glasses?

Kazz
23-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Hiya all.

After taking Mom and Dad for their glasses today I think I may get my eyes tested never had them tested previously.

PoshPuss
23-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I've worn specs/ contacts since I was 11 Kazz, I remeber my mother taking me to an optician for the first time. No-one knew how bad my eyes were, I'd always compensated. Mam choked up, I put on my specs and I told her that I could see that she had freckles! ahhhh, :D

yola
23-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh PP - that's so touching :)

It's amazing how you don't notice your eyesight deteriorating. I fought glasses for a long time, and gave in at about 22. Then switched to contacts when I was about 30. It was as if someone had given the world a really good wash - everything was brilliantly clear :-D If you do need glasses/contacts you will SO notice the difference!

Kazz
23-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Well I'll book tomorrow and then see just wondering actually if I do need them not noticed but then I imagine it would be gradual the decline....so worth checking I think.

Kazz
23-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I've worn specs/ contacts since I was 11 Kazz, I remeber my mother taking me to an optician for the first time. No-one knew how bad my eyes were, I'd always compensated. Mam choked up, I put on my specs and I told her that I could see that she had freckles! ahhhh, :D

Thats like my nephew Lew he had his first pair at 5 and looked like Milky Bar kid still does.:-D

smudgley
23-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Kazz - you are just like me :oops: I've never had an eye test & with my Dad having Glaucoma & my Mom having pressure on her eyes, I really should. :roll: I am even entitled to a free eye test through work, so I don't need to pay for it, but still never manage to get it done.
I will do it next week. :cool:

Kazz
23-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Thats what is sad here too Kel I am entitled to free from work................*holds head in shame*

dandysmom
23-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I was six when I got glasses. I was a bright kid and read long before school, parents
didn't understand why I did poorly in first grade. Turn out I was so nearsighted I couldn't read what was on the blackboard...just blurry. I couldn't believe how incredibly sharp everything was after getting glasses...for the first time I realized that trees actually had leaves, not just a green blur up above......I see my eye doctor annually, appoinment on November 4th. Go for it, Kazz! And you too, Smudgley!

Kazz
23-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Eileen do you get free eye tests etc in the USA...everyone over 60 here gets them and under 19's

angieh
23-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I had my first pair of specs aged 7! I looked like a young version of Edna Everage - glasses in the late 50's were horrid! I've tried contact lenses X3 times, with not much luck (hated getting them out) so I'm still with the specs!

Yes Kazz - you MUST get your eyes tested! There are all sorts of magazines that give you vouchers for free eye tests. Look out for one - or PM me and I'll look out for them too! And you too, Smudgley. Sight is SO VALUABLE.

dandysmom
23-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Eileen do you get free eye tests etc in the USA...everyone over 60 here gets them and under 19's

I wish!!! No,unfortunately, but Medicare (program for seniors) pays 80% of the allowable charge and my medigap insurance covers the difference. All I pay is the $100.00 deductible per year. Would have cost thousands for both cataract surgeries.

dinahsmum
24-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes- get a test.
You'll probably be amazed at the sharpness of sight even very low power specs will give back. It's a sad fact of life that our eyes deteriorate over time.

I'm really pleased with my 'wear all the time, day and night, for a month, then throw away' lenses. Much easier than fiddling around with either daily disposables or specs, but everyone choses what's best for themselves.

One drawback of having the lenses in constantly - the wrinkles are there as soon as you wake and look in the mirror. With daily lenses you have beautiful smooth skin until you put them in! :)

calismum
24-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I've had glasses for last 5 years. Couldn't believe the difference. Now have varifocals as I need for both sight and reading.

Also had contacts for while but never quite got on with them. May try again at some point.

If you do need them you will find everything looks brighter and clearer.

Go get them checked.

CM

dandysmom
24-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes- get a test.
You'll probably be amazed at the sharpness of sight even very low power specs will give back. It's a sad fact of life that our eyes deteriorate over time.

I'm really pleased with my 'wear all the time, day and night, for a month, then throw away' lenses. Much easier than fiddling around with either daily disposables or specs, but everyone choses what's best for themselves.

One drawback of having the lenses in constantly - the wrinkles are there as soon as you wake and look in the mirror. With daily lenses you have beautiful smooth skin until you put them in! :)

That made me really laugh: I had been using a new face cream that I thought was absolutely wonderful at removing my wrinkles, recommended it to all my friends....after I had cataract surgery and my vision was sharp again, guess what? Yep, those wrinkles were still there! :shock: The staff in my eye doctors office got a good laugh at that one...:roll: