PDA

View Full Version : water fountain problem

tilli121
22-09-2008, 05:41 PM
i have a cat it water fountain and although the water has only ever run down over half the dome, not all of it, my cats have been very happy with it. my problem is although i have only had it since february the inside of the dome is looking a little green...... its not that i don't change the filters either, so far i have had about 7-8 filter changes, does any one know why this has happened and can i do anything to clean it or does it seem that i need to buy a new one?:?

Moli
22-09-2008, 05:45 PM
The white bit that fits into the top of the dome unscrews with the yellow bit underneath and it will come apart for cleaning...I wash my filters a couple of times before changing them...
you can also take the pump apart to unclog it....and wash it through....

yola
22-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Hmm. I gave up on my domed one quite quickly because I could never get it back together again OR get the water to flow evenly so I eventually just stopped using it :roll:

The one that poured water out of the spout down the shute was much better (IMO). Anyways, the cats are back to water bowls and aren't finding it a problem as 2 bowls are drained about every 18 hours!!

Moli
22-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I am forever filling it up, both dogs and cats use it, and although I have 4 other water bowls, they all use that one..May invest in a dog fountain...

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I find if you rub the bit that doesn't have water on it (quite hard) it usually covers. Sure I read this somewhere?

Mine is not green in inside. I've tried to take it apart but failed.

Sometimes wish there were better instructions with these things.

CM

Moli
22-09-2008, 06:42 PM
If you unscrew the top bit and the yellow bit underneath it should come apart, sometimes its difficult to start it turning, but will loosen if you keep trying...

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Right - I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Thanks CM

tilli121
22-09-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks everyone...i now have a clean water pupming through although i still can't get the water to flow over more than half of the dome, very annoying!!!!!
i thought the dome should come apart but it looked glued and didn't want to try taking it apart for fear of breaking it....

tilli121
22-09-2008, 06:51 PM
hi calismum,
i read in the instuctions when i first bought the fountain the bit about rubbing the dome but no matter how hard i try it doesn't work, also like you i had tried to take it apart, i unscrewed the coloured bit underneath and took the top bit off but never tried doing the 2 things together! doh! this time i took the top screw part off then unscrewd the coloured part underneath as far as i could then when i tried twisting the dome itself it just came apart in my hands really easily. i was quite surprised at what had happened actually. felt rather silly that i hadn't managed to do it before!!!!

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Try rubbing it with a cloth - I was amazed at how hard I had to do it. It does work - eventually - honest. Like you I thought the bottom was glued. WIll try it in morning as I am planning to have a 'gut the kitchen' day.

CM

Elaine
22-09-2008, 07:16 PM
They are quite fiddly to clean which is why i was thinking of changing to a fresh flow one instead. The cats love their water fountain but I too have only ever managed to get it to flow over half the dome:? :lol:

Moli
22-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Mine flows over all the globe, queer, wonder why yours doesn't....

yola
22-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Mine flows over all the globe, queer, wonder why yours doesn't....

I found it was to do with how flat the floor was. Mine slopes slightly so I had to wedge it up a bit to make it flow over the whole sphere. Which was also a bit of a pain :roll:

calismum
23-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Hurrah - have managed to dismantle the darned thing. CLeaned it out properly, inserted new filter and got the water flowing all over the dome.

Alfie says thankyou!

CM