PDA

View Full Version : Last bit of colour....

Mags
22-09-2008, 03:06 PM
.............. before autumn and winter frosts arrive..:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSC07138.jpg

hanging cone with yellow, orange and white pansies......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSC07136.jpg

Moli
22-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Beautiful Mags, your garden always looks lovely! I have some baskets like that and was thinking of getting some pansies for them, but they do not last with the wind up here...!

dinahsmum
22-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I think my garden is lookiing as good (or bad) now as at any time this alleged summer.
I love some verbena I've recently planted. It's suffering a little as it atracts the butterflies, which in turn attracts Bentley! 7lbs of moggie launching itself on very tall stems tends to result in breakages.

Has anyone still got swallows? I saw ours last week but haven't seen them for a day or two. At least the weather was reasonable and they were able to get well fed before starting their long journey.

Moli
22-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I think my garden is lookiing as good (or bad) now as at any time this alleged summer.
I love some verbena I've recently planted. It's suffering a little as it atracts the butterflies, which in turn attracts Bentley! 7lbs of moggie launching itself on very tall stems tends to result in breakages.

Has anyone still got swallows? I saw ours last week but haven't seen them for a day or two. At least the weather was reasonable and they were able to get well fed before starting their long journey.
Saw the last of the swallows yesterday DM, but the pink footed geese are back, one lot go when the other arrives...:)

Elaine
22-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Very pretty Mags;)

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Lovely, Mags! When do you normally get a killing frost in Bristol? And I love the orange color of those geraniums; unusual, don't think I've seen that shade before. Do you take cuttings to overwinter them?

Mags
22-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Lovely, Mags! When do you normally get a killing frost in Bristol? And I love the orange color of those geraniums; unusual, don't think I've seen that shade before. Do you take cuttings to overwinter them?
Usually the frost starts to kill them off end of October into November Eileen. I used to take cuttings of the geraniums every year but find they are not expensive to buy as small plants and I just pot them on. I like the orangy colour too, not quite so heavy as the deep reds.

The pansies are hardy and will give a nice display for a few months and then they will start bushing out again for the Spring.

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Lovely. I was thinking of trying to plant up some winter baskets. Maybe different coloured foliage. Will have a look round.

Love the cone.

CM

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Usually the frost starts to kill them off end of October into November Eileen. I used to take cuttings of the geraniums every year but find they are not expensive to buy as small plants and I just pot them on. I like the orangy colour too, not quite so heavy as the deep reds.

The pansies are hardy and will give a nice display for a few months and then they will start bushing out again for the Spring.

Do you by any chance happen to know the name of that orange geranium? I'm quite taken with it and would like to see if I can find a source here.......

Wouldn't that be stunning in front of the blue ruellias? :D

Mags
22-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Do you by any chance happen to know the name of that orange geranium? I'm quite taken with it and would like to see if I can find a source here.......

Wouldn't that be stunning in front of the blue ruellias? :D
I'm afraid I don't know the proper name of it Eileen, I bought them as plug plants and they were just named Geraniums - Orange..:?

Moli
22-09-2008, 09:53 PM
There are quite a few orange ones DM...
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/annuals/geranium/orangeappeal

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 10:19 PM
There are quite a few orange ones DM...
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/annuals/geranium/orangeappeal

Thanks so much, Moli! I've saved that link, they are in Canada, so no problem ordering! I've never seen an orange one at my garden centre, and added them to the "must have" list. Also never grown them from seed, but going to try! :D

Moli
22-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks so much, Moli! I've saved that link, they are in Canada, so no problem ordering! I've never seen an orange one at my garden centre, and added them to the "must have" list. Also never grown them from seed, but going to try! :D
I did try, but they did not do very well....:?

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I'll never know unless I try; the ruellias I started from seed are looking well, although they're very small and will have to Winter indoors. Nothing ventured, nothing gained .... although now that I know the name, I might do a search for plants......

Moli
22-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I'll never know unless I try; the ruellias I started from seed are looking well, although they're very small and will have to Winter indoors. Nothing ventured, nothing gained .... although now that I know the name, I might do a search for plants......Somethings I just cannot grow, others are easy....:roll: sure you will do well with them DM...

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh, remember me last year about the lovely rex begonia that I posted a pic of, and said that begonias hated me and never did well. It died. :roll: :(

Moli
22-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Thats what I mean, somethings thrive others don't...I bought a dragon fruit from the supermarket and planted the seeds, I have load of little dragon plants now...yet my morning glory this year all died off....!

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't know the dragon fruit, Moli; when you
have time, post a pic, please......

it is funny how some plants simply don;t thrive: I have no problem with fussy orchids, and you know how well my amaryllis do, bur cannot grow common things like begonias and African violets......

Moli
22-09-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/dragon_fruit.htm
I have one that is quite big and is sending out side shoots the others a still quite small, will post some pictures tomorrow...

They look like Cactus, but the spines are soft...

Mags
22-09-2008, 11:18 PM
What a strange fruit, never heard or seen that before Moli......

Moli
22-09-2008, 11:21 PM
What a strange fruit, never heard or seen that before Moli......
Have a look in your supermarket Mags, most have them....;)

Mags
22-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll have a look but I can't even say I've heard the name before either....:?

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Oh wow that's a cactus! I grow night-lbooming cereus which is a type of cactus too, magnificent white flowers that are heavily scented and only last one night. Would like to have one of those,

PoshPuss
23-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Your garden is always a pleasure to look at Mags :D