PDA

View Full Version : War was declared on fleas today!

angieh
20-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I gave Merlin his Capstar tablet last night. We have to be careful so that I can put his Frontline Spot-on after MIL has gone to bed. Otherwise, he will be on her lap and she will have stroked it off! Wonder whether that was why he got the fleas in the first place ...... we shall never really know.

Although I was prepared, it was quite harrowing watching him jumping and scratching as the fleas started to die - oh yes, there were quite a few, although not an infestation. After an hour or so, it had all calmed down and we all went to bed. Poor old Merlin must have been exhausted. He settled down on his fleece at the bottom of our bed and slept calmly and soundly all night, hardly even stirring. I have been using those sticky fluff rollers every day on the bed to make sure to get rid of any eggs and flea dirt and this morning picked up about 6 dead adult fleas - not that many.

I have blitzed the house with the vacuum cleaner and Acclaim and intend to give him his Frontline tonight. Poor cat seems just so tired and relaxed today. He hasn't eaten much and has been sleeping in warm sunny spots on the floor - he stayed away from warmth before presumably because it made those fleas hop. Horrid things - I hate them. And if the vet had acted when I first took him to the surgery, or if the Capstar tablets had been available earlier, he wouldn't have had to go through all this. I do feel guilty, if not totally responsible.

Now, here's the important question - would anyone know whether it is safe to use Frontline 24 hours after Capstar? I can't find any information about this on the net.

Mags
20-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Good to know you and Merlin won the flea war Angie :lol: As for using Fronline 24 hours after ......I've looked and can't find any information on the time span between application either.

To be on the safe side for Merlin's sake I would be inclined to phone your vet and get professional advice..

dandysmom
20-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I Googled with no joy; yes, ask the vet. Poor old dear, he must feel sooo much better with those awful things not hopping about on him! Please give him a nice chin-tickle for me.

alexgirl73
20-09-2008, 09:05 PM
oooh feel all itchy now lol. Glad poor Merlins feeling better now, bloody horrible things fleas.

angieh
20-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I have been looking at Capstar and Frontline product information. Neither have any contraindications for use with any other medication. My concern obviously is that although the Capstar has worked wonderfully well, it only kills adult fleas. Frontline (if it works properly) kills eggs and will help prevent reinfestation, coupled with my vacuuming and flea-spraying efforts.

Capstar can be used at the same time as Program, but Program and Frontline are 2 different insecticides!

(Of course, my local vet surgery is closed at the weekend!)

dandysmom
20-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I have been looking at Capstar and Frontline product information. Neither have any contraindications for use with any other medication. My concern obviously is that although the Capstar has worked wonderfully well, it only kills adult fleas. Frontline (if it works properly) kills eggs and will help prevent reinfestation, coupled with my vacuuming and flea-spraying efforts.

Capstar can be used at the same time as Program, but Program and Frontline are 2 different insecticides!

(Of course, my local vet surgery is closed at the weekend!)

Isn't that always the way!?? Have you thought about PMing PinkLizzie; quite possible she might know......?

angieh
20-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Liz has PM'd me! What a sweetheart she is - all OK according to her vet drug book, so I am going to go ahead with the Frontline tonight.

dandysmom
20-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Wonderful! That's what I love about Catsey...people so willing to share knowledge and help! Thumbs up for Liz!

angieh
21-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Not sure whether the Capstar tablet disagreed with Merlin a bit yesterday, or whether it was just that he got a bit worked up about fleas and things .... but he couldn't keep his favourite salmon Felix supermeat down last night, so he had a fillet of white fish poached in a bit of milk, and kept that down fine. I am not blaming the Capstar - horrible to say but I'd almost rather his tummy is a bit upset but at least he is not going mad with scratching.

Today, I have put him on Sensitivity S/O Chicken or Duck with Rice. He has had 3 pouches today so far - no problem. He is obviously a hungry boy - will not touch this food if all is well with his tummy. Glad I had a box in stock of these sachets.

Kazz
21-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Glad all is going well.

Elaine
21-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Poor old Merlin, glad you got it all sorted for him though, have to say this thread has left me scratching a little;)

dandysmom
21-09-2008, 09:08 PM
:smt005 ..........

calismum
21-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Like a few others that have read this, I am now a bit itchy.

Can't stand fleas - always seem to think they are just so much work. As for how it makes the poor animal feel, know how bad it is if just one bites at your ankles.

|I'll bet he feels a whole lot better now.

CM

smudgley
21-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I

Now, here's the important question - would anyone know whether it is safe to use Frontline 24 hours after Capstar? I can't find any information about this on the net.

Yes it is. Capstar can be used with regular ectoparasite control and frontline can be given 24 hours after capstar.

We use both at work.

angieh
21-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and help. Merlin has actually eaten nearly 4 sachets of the Sensitivity Control food today and has cuddled down again for another sleep - I am not going to be long following him to bed. It is so relaxing seeing him sleeping soundly and not waking me up because of the b***** fleas! I am aware that some may have escaped the net, so will continue to be vigilant.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of Frontline Spot-on seeming not to work as it should this year.

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:19 PM
When Kinsi came to us she had fleas and I frontlined Alfie and the dogs.

All fleas gone and stayed away. Plan to do the cats again in 2 weeks. Friend also has done hers as dogs had picked up a dead rabbit and had fleas.

Neither of us has had any problems.

In what way had you experienced it not working?

CM

Moli
22-09-2008, 06:26 PM
So pleased to read Merlin is more comfortable now....

Mags
22-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and help. Merlin has actually eaten nearly 4 sachets of the Sensitivity Control food today and has cuddled down again for another sleep - I am not going to be long following him to bed. It is so relaxing seeing him sleeping soundly and not waking me up because of the b***** fleas! I am aware that some may have escaped the net, so will continue to be vigilant.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of Frontline Spot-on seeming not to work as it should this year.

I changed to Advocate Spot on from Frontline back in the summer as the vet said there had been a lot of negative feedback about Frontline Spot on not doing it's job properly. I have no problems at all now.

angieh
22-09-2008, 10:42 PM
When Kinsi came to us she had fleas and I frontlined Alfie and the dogs.

All fleas gone and stayed away. Plan to do the cats again in 2 weeks. Friend also has done hers as dogs had picked up a dead rabbit and had fleas.

Neither of us has had any problems.

In what way had you experienced it not working?

CM

[/B]I changed to Advocate Spot on from Frontline back in the summer as the vet said there had been a lot of negative feedback about Frontline Spot on not doing it's job properly. I have no problems at all now.

It does seem in some areas that Frontline Spot-On just doesn't kill the fleas that are on the animals any more. Some vets, such as Mags', are more open to there being a problem than others - mine for example!

It is very annoying especially as you can now buy Frontline Spot-On without prescription! I'm not sure about Advocate.

calismum
23-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Hadn't heard this - might have chat to my vet when I go back for Kinsi's 2nd injection.

CM

kado
23-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Frontline doesnt work that well on Guinness as he is too big for it. I use the spray but not the spot on. I think i might try the Capstar and then the frontline now.

jane

farthing
23-09-2008, 07:21 PM
[/B]I changed to Advocate Spot on from Frontline back in the summer as the vet said there had been a lot of negative feedback about Frontline Spot on not doing it's job properly. I have no problems at all now.

I've heard the same thing, although I still use frontline regularly. I guess they will eventually build up a resistance though.

angieh
23-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I am not sure how manufacturers monitor how effective their product is - and I suspect most of their feedback would be through recognised veterinary sources - so, if you find that Frontline Spot-On no longer works on your animals, you should let your vet know!

The fact that it does not work on larger cats I think is already known and they recommend using the spray instead.