PDA

View Full Version : Anaphylactic Shock *prayers needed*

Tink
20-09-2008, 02:09 AM
it was supposed to be a normal vet visit.
just gonna check baby bear's eye (other thread posted yesterday) and do his vaccinations since he was due in two weeks anyway and i'd already planned on going there.
i was paying at the counter and i hear labored breathing coming from the carrier. i snatched it up and he was frothing at the mouth and gagging and gasping. the tech ran him back to the vet. i sat and wrung my hands for what felt like forever..the tech said the doctor was still trying to stabilize him and they were giving him oxygen. i tried so hard to tell myself it was fine and tried to read the magazines but i just couldn't concentrate and wondered why it was taking them so long if they just were going to give him an allergy shot for the reaction to vaccinations. thirty minutes went by and i was starting to lose it. finally the vet came out holding him and sat next to me. blood was just coming and coming out of his little bottom and he was still gagging but for the most part he was in stable condition. she said it was the worst case of Anaphylactic shock that she'd seen and advised to never vaccinate him again, it's just not worth the risk.
she asked me where i live and i told her thirty minutes away. the closest emergency vet is about that far too. she said she was very worried to send him home because if he started having trouble breathing again i might not have that long to get him treated. she is a wonderful woman with ferrets of her own and offered to bring him home with her tonight where she would have the tools handy to bring him out of it if he went into shock again. i agreed. she will call me tonight and tomorrow morning for updates. god willing if he is fine she is going to meet me at a halfway point tomorrow so i can bring him home. i'm glad of this as i would be a wreck the whole night and not feel capable of treating him if things should go bad or even of getting him to the doctor in time. it could go bad very quickly if his breathing gets weak again.
i tried to act casual but once i got in the car i just lost it and bawled. it was so scary. when she came out with him he was limp and his eyes were barely open and she had blood and vomit all over her and his whole bottom fur was covered in blood.
my big fear is something will happen after she goes to sleep tonight and he'll be dead in the morning.
he just has to be okay. none of us could have known. but i just feel horrible. and his brother will be sleeping alone tonight.
i just can't believe it.

dandysmom
20-09-2008, 02:48 AM
OMG, Tink, how horrible for you! Prayers coming, and please do let us know tomorrow how the little guy is. As you say, no one could have known. Bless that vet for offering to take him home and monitor him; your house does feel empty tonight without him, doesn't it? (((hugs)))

Tink
20-09-2008, 02:55 AM
OMG, Tink, how horrible for you! Prayers coming, and please do let us know tomorrow how the little guy is. As you say, no one could have known. Bless that vet for offering to take him home and monitor him; your house does feel empty tonight without him, doesn't it? (((hugs)))

very much so! it doesn't feel like home anymore. and his poor brother monkey is confused and wondering what happened after mommy took him away in that carrier.:cry:

Tink
20-09-2008, 04:27 AM
i forgot to mention they had to give him two allergy shots and epinephrine (adrenalin).
the vet just called and said he is home with her now and that he is just sleeping it off it seems and she will call me in the morning to let me know if i can have him back yet.

Elaine
20-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Poor baby, I hope he recovers well, have everything crossed xxx

calismum
20-09-2008, 09:07 AM
oh tink - I do hope he is ok when the vet calls you. What a lovely, kind vet tho' to take him home.

You could never have known something like that would happen.

Do let us all know how things go.

CM

alexgirl73
20-09-2008, 10:25 AM
everything crossed for him x

angieh
20-09-2008, 10:30 AM
What a terrible shock for you Tink - poor baby bear. What a lovely vet you took him to, someone who knows about ferrets quite apart from her vet knowledge. He couldn't be in safer hands. Also, he got treatment as soon as he started going into shock - so hopefully he has the best chance of pulling through. Healing vibes for him and for you too.

Do let us know how he gets on.

PoshPuss
20-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Hope to hear some good news from you soon Tink.

Mags
20-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Poor baby bear, what an awful shock for you Tink...it sounds like he is in the best place now, with a vet who really knows ferrets.

Loads of healing vibes being sent to the little guy and hugs for you....

Moli
20-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Poor little man,. healing vibes coming for him...Hope he is better tomorrow....x

yola
20-09-2008, 05:31 PM
How truly terrifying, but thank heaven the vet is knowledgable about ferrets and you were still at the practice to enable her to react quickly to save him. I know he's not out of the woods yet, but hopefully there's been no lasting damage done and the symptoms will wear off as the vaccine leaves his system and the drugs take effect. Big hugs for you all.

Phoenix
20-09-2008, 07:58 PM
That must have been very scary! Thank heavens he was at the vets and got treatment straight away!

Tink
20-09-2008, 09:30 PM
thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. i'm happy to report baby bear is home now. the vet called me a few hours ago and she was on her way to a personal appointment one town over and described her vehicle so i could just grab him from the backseat without looking for her first. she must have given him a bath for me as all the blood is off his white fur and he smells like shampoo. she is so nice.
after a thorough sniffdown on everyone's part he gobbled up some kibble and had a nice plate of soup. then him and his brother settled down for a bonding nap. i had to put some ferretone on him and the conditioning spray i usually use so monkey would stop being out of sorts about the way he smelled. he seemed to accept that and now they are back to normal again. i will definitely be watching his potties for blood though as he hasn't gone to the bathroom yet and i'm thinking they might be off at first.
this house just wasn't a home without baby bear in it. monkey and i were restless all night. the only place i was able to fall asleep was their room so i stayed in there with the phone next to me on high volume. things are returning to normal, thank goodness although i am watching him like a hawk.

angieh
20-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Good news Tink! How's his eye by the way???

I think your vet is tops!

Tink
20-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Good news Tink! How's his eye by the way???

I think your vet is tops!

it was just a small hemmhorage that is already almost healed and no antibiotics needed.
i agree, this vet is so wonderful. i just found her last month and i am so grateful. we live in a very small town and i almost had to drive over an hour away for a ferret vet before i found her.

dandysmom
20-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm so relieved it came out all right, Tink! Very stressful for you. And what a lovely woman that vet is!

pinklizzy
20-09-2008, 10:17 PM
So glad to hear that Bear has recovered, poor baby!
What a distressing experience for you both.

Mags
21-09-2008, 10:16 AM
So pleased to hear baby bear has recovered, Tink....:D

Tink
22-09-2008, 03:44 AM
update: he slept all day yesterday only to wake to chow down on nearly two bowls of food by himself (he never eats that much in one sitting). today he played for the first time since friday morning (a ferret is just not a ferret if it's not playing..LOL). but now he's really worn out. other thing..someone has not used the litter box at all since he came home...and seems to be relieving himself right where your foot would drop when you enter a doorway (to multiple rooms). i thinks he's uhm..."expressing his feelings".

angieh
22-09-2008, 01:01 PM
...... perhaps Tink! I am so glad he's better, but I wouldn't let him get away with inappropriate poo-ing! That's a habit he could easily get into.