PDA

View Full Version : spaying

niki71uk
19-09-2008, 05:04 PM
do u think getting my female kitten spayed will help her not to dominate over my other cat who is male? she is nearly 6 mnths he is 14yrs old

angieh
19-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I would be seriously considering getting her spayed soon anyway Niki. I assume that your male cat has been neutered too? It may help the situation.

yola
19-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I would almost definitely say yes. As a matter of course you should consider having her spayed anyway - makes for a much happier cat and fewer unwanted kittens! Good luck :D

How badly is she bullying your older cat?

niki71uk
19-09-2008, 07:04 PM
ive had her since she was 6 wks old,she jumps on him n generally annoys him,but on occasion they do sniff each other with no problem

yola
19-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I have 3 cats of different ages; 11.5 years to 1.5 years!

Apart from the occasional spat, they get along really well - but they've all been 'done'. At worse, they ignore each other - sometimes all 3 will have a major love-in; licking each other's heads and ears like mad.

Netuering really does calm them down incredibly; your two may never really get on but they should certainly tollerate each other - attacking will hopefully be a thing of the past.

dandysmom
19-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree it might help with the dominance/bullying, but she should be spayed anyway for her own health,

Tina
20-09-2008, 12:54 AM
I would definately have her spayed, she'll be much calmer as well! We had our older cat (Miw) spayed at 5 months and she was far more loving and cuddly after it was done. We haven't had our younger cat (Mouse) spayed as she's been too ill for surgery......and when she's feeling well like lately she's a wild thing, and constantly trying to dominate Miw. Have your kitty spayed, it's healthier for her and it should make a big difference to how she interacts with your other cat.

Tina

Elaine
20-09-2008, 07:47 AM
I agree with what others have said about the importance of spaying her and I hate to sound like a party pooper but it might not stop her from bullying the other cat. It certainly never stopped my Eva from bullying dear old Winston, but he would slap her into place when he had had enough.