PDA

View Full Version : food

lynda1980
19-09-2008, 04:51 PM
my wee cat has stopped eating her cat food and only eating biscuits. Since she is doing this, i have bought her Iams, is it ok just to give her biscuits or does she need more.

angieh
19-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Many makers of cat biscuit would say that eating only dry food is fine. The warning I would give is that IMO eating dry only may cause urinary problems. Some cats do seem to prefer it and I know that it is hard to get cats to either eat "wet" food or to drink sufficient water.

dandysmom
19-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I too am concerned that dry food as a complete diet may result in urinary tract problems (cystitis). Many cats tend not to get enough water (they are originally desert animals). Have you tried her on various brands of wet food to see if one will strike her fancy?

How old is she?

lynda1980
23-09-2008, 09:01 AM
She is nearly 3. She does drink alot of water but only from the tap in the bathroom sink.

She has started eating a half a pouch a day now so hopefully thats her back to normal.:D :p :D

Elaine
23-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I have one who eats mostly dry food but I am very slowly turning this around, my concerns are not only urinary tract infections but kidney disease is becoming all too common place and is now being diagnosed in younger cats.
I would personally keep trying to persuade her to eat wet food and maybe even add a little water to the wet and the dry too. I have been doing this with Eva and she is gradually eating more wet food these days.

dandysmom
23-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I have one who eats mostly dry food but I am very slowly turning this around, my concerns are not only urinary tract infections but kidney disease is becoming all too common place and is now being diagnosed in younger cats.
I would personally keep trying to persuade her to eat wet food and maybe even add a little water to the wet and the dry too. I have been doing this with Eva and she is gradually eating more wet food these days.

I agree with adding a bit of water to the wet...have been doing it with Leia who really does prefer dry, and she's had no recurrance of her cystitis. She seems to enjoy the extra "gravy".....

angieh
23-09-2008, 05:08 PM
I also add extra water to Merlin's wet food. Usually it's previously boiled water and still warm.