PDA

View Full Version : baby bear got hurt!

Tink
18-09-2008, 11:54 PM
so i knew it was bound to happen sooner or later that i'd have to see how i handled my first injury with one of my ferrets. seems more likely than not that i'd encounter it one day, even if i was careful. a ferret is very good at finding trouble when he wants to..
i'm waiting for more information. i'll say at this point everything seems fine (as in not an emergency) so i won't keep you in suspense.
me, well my stomach is in the biggest bunch of knots ever.
so baby bear and monkey were let out a bit ago..our eight year old saint bernard mix who wouldn't hurt a fly was lounging leisurely so i decided to just keep her inside with them (she's an old, epileptic dog with arthritis..she's submitted to a kitten before..LOL).
baby bear and monkey thought it a grand game to sneak up on her as she was sleeping in the hall. they must have startled her pretty good as i heard some scuffle and the dog limping slowly away. thought nothing of it as my skittish boy monkey just strolled along behind her and he runs at anything. then baby bear came out. i looked at him "just in case" (i'm always paranoid) and he was squinting one of his eyes. then i noticed the blood. not a lot. it wasn't pouring out or anything. but when he blinked the whole rim had it on there (i guess i'd describe it looking like "blood eyeliner") and it seemed to happen a few times when he blinked.
i am so very doting over baby bear because he's a deafie and one of my fears is he'll lose is vision due to something i neglected to ferretproof. i know deafies are perfectly happy creatures and am sure he doesn't give a hoot about it but i have always babied him since he was my first ferret and was also an only ferret for awhile before monkey and thus received alot of doting and worrying over.
i called his regular vet (a wonderful, extremely knowledagle woman who has her own ferrets and has worked in ferret shelters) and got a voicemail. in my panic i started to call vets all over the county and no one was very helpful. there was one that said they'd see him but for a high price and declined my request that part of it be paid with a hold check till my payday (i only have forty bucks to my name at the moment and his daddy is at work and hard to get a hold of). they said payment in full as of today or no treatment at all so i had to say forget it. finally his regular doctor's office called me back..
at this point the bleeding had stopped and he was playing roughly with his brother. his eye looked a bit "shiny" and i scruffed him to get a better look and compare the good eye and the injured eye. i can see that the affected eye is red and irritated on the inner corner when i pull the skin up (at the whites of his eyes).
i told the tech what was going on and that though it didn't seem an emergency i am very paranoid and am thinking i'll at least need eye drops or something to prevent infection. my best guess is he got a dog paw at an unfortunate angle because there are no scratches or marks ANYWHERE...only irritation in the eye.
she said she was going to consult with the doctor and have her call me back. he has an appointment coming up on october 6th for his vaccinations anyway so it might just be okay to prescribe some preventative for the moment, especially since it's stopped bleeding and just appears irritated.
so i'm waiting for a call back. i keep picking him up and looking at him and he is just wiggling to go play. poor thing, he must wonder why i keep scruffing him and staring into his face..LOL.
i'm trying to laugh but my stomach is so tight..i know it could have been a lot worse..i am just a nervous wreck when it comes to my kids.
sorry for the letter, i'm trying to distract myself from staring at the phone.

calismum
19-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh tink, poor wee thing. What about bathing it with some mild saline solution. That will help infection and help reduce swelling. Sounds like he just got a swipe but I understand what you mean about deafies and their vision.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Let us know how he gets on.

CM

Tink
19-09-2008, 12:11 AM
thank you. i feel so useless just sitting here staring at him..like i should be doing something..LOL.
well they close in about an hour so it shouldn't be long now...if she needs to see him in person i do hope they'll work with me if the cost gets too high. i will have to figure out something as i couldn't live with putting his sight in jeopardy...so i'm worried about that too. but whatever he needs, i will find a way...

Tink
19-09-2008, 03:16 AM
UPDATE:the doctor called back and said she'd feel a lot better if i brought him in tomorrow to have it examined and then she could prescribe meds. i told her my finances are tight and she told me she'd okay a hold check for the rest of the bill *sighs in relief*
guess he won't be waiting till the sixth to visit her (vax are due)..maybe i could get out of another exam fee on that date if he's gonna be seen tomorrow...LOL.
he has some white mucous in the inner corner now with some redness that looks like a spot of blood on his eye..i imagine the eye is trying to clean itself or something..just looks like eye gook when they wake up (except the blood part of course)..but better safe than sorry.

Grete
19-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I think it is the best thing to get it checked out, just to be on the safe side. Poor little thing, hope everything is OK and his eye is just irritated.

*hugs*

Mags
19-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Poor baby bear :(....... it must have really frightened you Tink. At least if he's playing well with monkey he can't be in too much pain.

Hopefully it is just a scratch that will heal quickly but you are wise to get it looked at ........ let us know how it goes.

Tink
19-09-2008, 04:42 PM
they had an opening for four pm today, i called when they opened. now that is seven hours from now...i am so impatient and hate waiting..LOL.
last night he took a nap and when he woke up some gook was making it hard to open his eye. my poor baby...