PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Merlin for Winter!

angieh
17-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I am thinking about what I could do to help Merlin beat the cold weather. He feels the cold so, being an elderly and thin cat. After having a word with Kazz, I thought I would ask Catsey members generally about what food supplements I could give him to aid his immune system and, hopefully, help him store a bit of extra to give him a better chance of beating the cold.

Any suggestions would be welcome - I have already earmarked Elvisisboss' salmon oil, which I am sure Merlin will love as he is very fond of salmon.

Tina
18-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Hiya Angie

We get a product called Nurish-Um (made by M&C) that is a great vitamin supplement and can be given to Merlin every day. It comes in a tube and is a yeast-flavoured paste and you can usually get it at Pets at Home and many smaller pet supply stores. Merlin may not like it, depends on his tastes really, our Miw loves it, but Mousie won't touch it.

For those cats with hairball problems (like Miw) M&C also do a product called Defurr-Um which is great!

Salmon Oil sounds good......will have to look for that!

Tina

Elaine
18-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Salmon oil and such like probably wont do any harm, what about some cozy beds in cozy spots for him to retreat to, perhaps a radiator bed.

meep
18-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm afraid I can't offer much advice Angie, on cat supplements, but I just wanted to give lots of cuddles to Merlin which I hope would keep him a bit warmer for a wee while :)

I'm sure he'll be snug as a bug in a rug soon enough.

Kazz
18-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Hiya Angie since our chat I have made a few enquiries and come up with this......... Geriatri-UM meant for elderly cats.

angieh
18-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Just googled that Kazz -

http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/products/health_mandc_geriat_tabs.htm

Seems really good value - I think I will give it a try, together with the salmon oil and, as you have suggested, extra bits of fatty meat and skin as treats. He already has the vegetable oil that bacon has been cooked in - only a small amount and there is never anything left. I think that's what he's looking for when he goes scavenging in the dishwasher!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/005.jpg

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Elaine, I would love to get Merlin a radiator bed, but I am not sure he would be able to get up and into it - but may give it a go. He does not have his own bed, as from a kitten he always changed position nearly every night and was not a predictable little puss. He now always sleeps with us. When I go to the Petfood Warehouse I look at the lovely looking little beds and wish he would have one - but he does have his own fleece at the bottom of our bed.

Elaine
18-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe a radiator bed wouldnt suit, I remember getting one for Winston but he found it a bit unstable under foot, he did however just love his mikki cat snoozer.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=316&pf_id=5105
On colder days i would slip a heat pad into it for him and he just loved that.

angieh
18-09-2008, 08:58 PM
That is just the cat's pyjamas! What a lovely bed - got to get that!

Elaine
18-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Eva and Bernie love them too, so quite a hit with 3 cats of differing personalities, cannt be a bad selling point can it?:D

Kazz
18-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I found myself putting "cat steps" around the house....so they could get onto the bed the sofa etc just noxes upturned.

And another point I started to raise their food dishes slightly too to help their digestion....found an argos catalogue was just the right height..........;)

Elaine
18-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I found myself putting "cat steps" around the house....so they could get onto the bed the sofa etc just noxes upturned.

And another point I started to raise their food dishes slightly too to help their digestion....found an argos catalogue was just the right height..........;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I did the same and used phone directories etc.

Kazz
18-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Elaine did I mention this to you before.....I knew I'd mentioned it to someone.....could have been you or Janey...

Another thing I found useful (amazing how all this comes back) was making sure they (Cleo mainly) went outside even for a stroll in the garden ....some of you may recall Cleo's nightly stroll in the winter.....;) ...up the garden I found it gave her an appitite being a brief walk outside each day as she wanted to do this less and less as she got older especialy after Oscar was PTS :( but the fresh air helped her appitite.

Kept her "mind alive" as much as anything.....

angieh
18-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Merlin does still go out in the garden in warm weather - but not as regularly perhaps as he should. I may try tempting him out for a little walk every day when its dry. I agree that is probably a good thing.

He is still able to jump up onto our bed at the moment or onto a chair. He does not try for anything higher I'm glad to say.

Raising his food bowl is a good suggestion and I will try that too.

(Sadly, I think that simplyK9.co.uk has gone - the lovely bed that Elaine mentioned was on that site too, along with the Geriatri-UM, but I could not order and tried to send them a comment - the URL was not found)

dandysmom
18-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Angie, when Misty was quite old and arthritic, and the jump to the bed was a bit too much for her, I brought a footstool upstairs to make it easier for her.

calismum
19-09-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=900134&pf_id=PD5105A

Seems to be in stock - my cats love this.

I used to use heat pads on v cold nights.

Friend with oldie bought a knitted 'jumper' for a v small dog and her cat wore this on cold nights, he didn't seem to mind.

Going to give her the link for the food. SHe also feeds him little and often.

CM

angieh
19-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, that is just so cute calismum! It is the same bed that Elaine recommended. I am ordering it today!

(I have ordered the Kronch salmon oil and the Geriatri-UM tablets today already today.) I am hoping that Merlin will love the salmon oil and we will have to get used to popping the other pill in his mouth - hope it is not too large!

Thanks everyone again for your supportive and thoughtful comments. Next on the list is to raise his food bowl a bit and take him for walks around the garden. He is fast asleep on MIL's lap atm, so I won't wake him up. I quite often take him for walks around the house, cuddled up in my arms - we visit all the windows to see what's going on.

dinahsmum
22-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Angie - I know this is posted in food & nutrition, so this isn't really on topic, but have you got a 'Snugglesafe' microwave heated 'hot water bottle'? They are fab. When Tizzie was growing older and frailer I found it excellent for making sure she was warm overnight. They hold their heat well over 12 hours, so you can cook it just before you go to bed and the house cools down and it will keep Merlin cosy till you're up and the house is warm again.

angieh
22-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your thought, dinahsmum - yes I have a snugglesafe - bought it before last winter and it was well used. His favourite place last year was by the kickheater in the kitchen and I used to put the snugglesafe there wrapped up in a towel. The only thing I have against it is that it is so hard - wish they made a gel-type one.

angieh
22-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I've had an email from pet planet! The bed and some other things I ordered for Merlin have been shipped!

I saw a thermal "cushion" advertised, that looked just like the one that Eileen bought for Leia. It was half price and I ordered that too!

No emails yet about the salmon oil or the Geriatri-UM tablets - hope they come ASAP!

Elaine
22-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Dear old Merlin is gonna be as snug as a bug in a rug this winter:D Cuddles to the old gent xxx

dandysmom
22-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I've had an email from pet planet! The bed and some other things I ordered for Merlin have been shipped!

I saw a thermal "cushion" advertised, that looked just like the one that Eileen bought for Leia. It was half price and I ordered that too!

No emails yet about the salmon oil or the Geriatri-UM tablets - hope they come ASAP!

Wonderful; I do hope he loves it as much as she does. One of the best things I've ever bought for her. And it's washable, too! :D

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:22 PM
What a lucky and deservedly spoilt boy.

CM

furriefriend
15-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Love the idea of a heat pad ! ours have a radiator bed or at least bentley does and Lotus prefers to sleep under the duvet with my son or me if he is not at home.Trouble is if you lay on her she is not a happy cattie then. Cat tunnel is great idea