PDA

View Full Version : Can cats get colds?

Phoenix
17-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I think Beauty's got one! I picked her up about five minutes ago and she had a bit of a runny nose. I cleaned it up and so far there hasn't been anything else come out of her nose (the fluid that came out of her nose was like water, same colour and everything) :(

Phoenix
17-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Going to log off now to check on Beauty's runny nose ...

angieh
17-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry RCR not to respond as quickly as you would have liked. I am sure that cats can get colds - they certainly can get flu, as you will know. Merlin often has bouts of sneezing.

However if Beauty's nasal discharge is clear and watery I would say there is no need for immediate worry as she is not showing an infection. Keep an eye on her (as I know you always do) and if you suspect she has a temperature or her nasal discharge becomes anything other than clear and watery, then I would take her to the vet to be safe.

Kim
17-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I've often wondered this, so I did a search on google. This is what I found.

Cats do not get the human influenza virus (flu), but some are infected with upper respiratory viruses which some term "cat colds". These are generally distinct from the human rhinovirus, or cold virus. Sneezing, nasal (nose) and ocular (eye) discharge may be associated with upper respiratory infections (bacterial, virus, or fungal). These signs can also be due to allergies, foreign material stuck in the nose (dust bunnies etc.) or in Persian cats (a short-nosed breed) due to the altered conformation of the nasal cavity and tear ducts.

I hope Beauty's better soon.

dandysmom
17-09-2008, 10:25 PM
They can get allergies, which cause runny noses with nasty discharge, sneezing and general lassitude and loss of appetite. Dandy used to get an allergy as regular as clockwork every year...once in the Spring and again in late Autumn. Lasted abut 3-4 days and he was as right as rain afterwards; went on for 12 years. Worried me the first time, but got used to it after a few incidences. Hope it's nothing serious with Beauty.....

Phoenix
18-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I only had to clean her up once, after that there was no other discharge. She was perfectly her usual self anyway!( and still is now!)

Tink
19-09-2008, 12:09 AM
it sounds good so far..tigger has one now but his i have to clean his nose off two to three times a day and the snot is GREEN. he's on baytril for it. i'd just keep an eye on it. doesn't sound like too much yet..could really just be an allergy but it is always good to take note of everything. i hope nothing progresses and it was just an "off moment".

calismum
19-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Pepper used to get runny noses quite often. Always clear and never caused any probs.

Hope it turns out to be the same thing.

CM

stitch_too
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Flossie often has a runny nose, too. usually clear liquid, so i avoid her head, when i fuss her!