PDA

View Full Version : Dash to the Vet with Alfie

calismum
17-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Last couple of days I've thought that Alfie felt a bit thin. Even tho' he is eating fine. Put it down to stress of having Kinsi.

However, last night I noticed his breathing was really laboured and his tummy was swollen.

He's been to the vet who has done blood tests. He said the swollen tummy was fluid. He also said his heart is racing.

First diagnosis is virus or FIP. Obviously need to wait for results (Fri or Sat) but I'm really worried about my lovely boy:(

Keeping fingers crossed. Googled FIP and wish I hadn't.

CM

Mags
17-09-2008, 07:28 PM
So sorry to hear Alfie is unwell CM...... fingers crossed and healing vibes to him....(((hugs)))

pinklizzy
17-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh CM, So sorry to hear Alfie's unwell. I hope the results come back ok, are they sending a fluid sample?
Love and hugs,
Lizx

calismum
17-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Thankyou Mags and pinklizzy.

Didn't take fluid sample. Has given him medication to reduce fluid and antibiotics.

May take fluid after blood tests back.

CM

Moli
17-09-2008, 07:39 PM
So sorry to read this CM, sending healing vibes to him.....x

farthing
17-09-2008, 07:44 PM
So sorry to hear about Alfie, having been in a similar situation recently I know how shocked and helpless you must feel.
From what I found out when Triger was ill, it is quite hard to diagnose FIP, most cats carry the virus and only a few develop FIP. My vets told my that if 2 particular elements of a blood sample are raised it implies FIP, however I was told FIV can give similar symptoms but the bloods are different. Saying that, initally they thougth it might be his heart or kidneys.
I truely feel for you and hope it is something the vets can treat, let us know how Alfie gets on.

HappyKatz
17-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Hope Alfie is going to be alright *crossing fingers & paws for him*

calismum
Thankyou Moli and farthing. He is quite bright and is letting Kinsi play with him so it is v hard to think he could be so unwell.

CM

Kazz
Hope all goes well...........being diagnosed is a good thing (although may not seem so) but it does mean you know what you are dealing with and then how best to help him...........sure all will go well. Take care Karen

calismum
17-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks HappyKatz.

CM

calismum
17-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Hope all goes well...........being diagnosed s a good thing means you know what you are dealing with and then how best to help him...........sure all will go well. Take care Karen

Yes, that is the positive - thanks for your support.

CM

angieh
17-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Will be sending healing vibes a-plenty for Alfie and calming ones for you calismum. Do hope his condition can be managed.

calismum
17-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you angieh.

Elaine
18-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Fingers crossed its a virus and not FIP, sending all my love and best wishes to both you and Alfie xxx

calismum
18-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Elaine

calismum
21-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Got 1st set of blood results back. Very slight liver and kidney damage but within normal range so no big shock there. Won't get FIP results until wednesday. The diuretics are helping and he is a bit brighter. Went out today for a wee while. That is his first time since lasrt Tuesday.

Breathing still quite heavy and heart belting along.

I am just so concerned for him. (and Kinsi if it is FIP)

Just thought i'd keep you all up to date.

CM

dandysmom
21-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh CM, fingers crossed that the FIP results will be negative; good that he's a bit brighter and had a wee excursion outside. Thanks for the update, (((hugs))) to all! Or chin-tickles...

Moli
21-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Everything crossed for the results to be negative......x

calismum
21-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks Dm - I'm really quite upset about it, trying to do an ostrich sometimes. If i'm very honest he is obviously unwell and just not at all himself. Beating myself up because I thought he was off colour and in a huff due to the new kitten. All the time he was unwell.

Vet said it would have been building up for a while and as he is so quiet and laid back it would not have been obvious.

Gave him your chin tickle - he sends you a face rub!

CM

calismum
21-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks Moli

angieh
21-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Very sorry for you and Alfie. Healing vibes from Merlin and me.

Elaine
22-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Fingers crossed for a negative FIP result and for a healthy recovery xxx
Hugs to you and Alfie xxx

PoshPuss
22-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Here's hoping Alfie has good news and that it's not serious.
Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery.

yola
22-09-2008, 10:13 AM
So sorry that I've not seen this before :( What a shock for you. I went through this worry when I had a cat diagnosed with FIV and whilst it was a terrible shock, it let me a) prepare for the inevitable :( and b) tailor diet, lifestyle etc to best suit his condition. He carried on for 2 1/2 years after diagnosis - and as he was an old ex-stray

Whatever happens, please don't blame yourself - as you know, cats are great at hiding any symptoms of feeling unwell.

calismum
22-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Thankyou all. Your support really does make a difference.

CM

pinklizzy
22-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Fingers crossed for a negative result on wednesday, I'll be thinking of you all. x

calismum
22-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you PL

Moli
22-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Everything crossed here for You and Alfie.....give him a huge snuggle from me...x

calismum
25-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Update - Got his results today. It is not FIP. (phew)

Vet wanted to see him again so we went tonight. He thinks it must be a heart condition, perhaps brought on by a virus.

Basically he is retaining fluid, his heart is racing and his breathing is laboured. He has lost so much weight.

He is now on three different tablets. Diuretic, heart pills and digitalis.

Vet is v worried about the racing heart so he hopes the digitalis will slow that down.

He has to go back in 10 days.

Thank you all for the support and kind thoughts, really helped.

CM and Alfie

dandysmom
25-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh CM. so relieved it's not FIP! Fingers crossed that the medications help with the heart problem; medicine is so much more advanced than the days when a friends cat had heart problems! Gentle cuddle to Alfie, bless him; sounds as if he's in good hands .

Mags
25-09-2008, 09:31 PM
So pleased to hear that it's not FIP, CM ........let's hope the medication gets everything under control for Alfie.

Continued healing vibes to Alfie and a comforting hug to you.....

Moli
25-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I too am relieved its not FIP! hopfully the medication will help him, and get him back to normal....Big snuggle from me too...x

Kim
25-09-2008, 09:43 PM
So pleased it's not FIP. Hope he's soon feeling better. :)

yola
25-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Good news there! Let's hope the medication can help stabilise Alfie. Big hugs.

farthing
25-09-2008, 10:58 PM
So glad to hear its not FIP, hopefully they can control the heart condition, as others have said, medicine has moved on so much these days they will be able to control it. Best of luck, I know how worrying this time is but keep your chin up, at least you have an idea of what is wrong.

pinklizzy
26-09-2008, 07:44 AM
So glad the FIP came back negative! Hopefully the heart meds and diuretics start to help reduce the fluid and regulate his heart soon.
Lots of love to you both.
Lx

PoshPuss
26-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Sending good vibes for Alfie, hope he recovers soon. :)

angieh
27-09-2008, 11:12 PM
That's good news for Alfie. Do so hope that the meds can control whatever is wrong. Has the vet checked thyroid levels?

calismum
29-09-2008, 11:31 AM
That's good news for Alfie. Do so hope that the meds can control whatever is wrong. Has the vet checked thyroid levels?

Vet has said he initially though about this but his symptoms don't match.

There has been a big difference in last 2 days. he even played with us and Kinsi for a wee while last night.

candyshandy
29-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Thats good news CM - hopefully he will get back to his normal self soon.

xxxx

angieh
29-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I am glad it is not thyroid related CS - that's how I lost my lovely little Smudge.

Hope he keeps improving.

calismum
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Update - was at vet again tonight for his checkup. All the fluid in his abdomen has now gone. We've to keep him on the diuretics for a while yet tho'.

Breathing is a bit better, heart still a bit fast though that could have been stress related as a dog in the waiting room got free from its owner and ran round and round the room barking its head off.

So he is still on the two heart tablets. Managed to feel his internal organs now that the fluid is gone. Said liver feels a little enlarged but not to worry about that.

To take him back in fortnight.

Appetite is much improved and he is, at last, putting on a little bit weight over his spine. Still very boney round his pelvis and ribs.

Thanks all for the support.

CM and Alfie

Moli
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Pleased to read he is improving.......

dandysmom
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Very pleased at the news, CM! Please give Alfie a chin-tickle from me.

Mags
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Good news CM.....a big Catsey cuddle for him :D

angieh
08-10-2008, 10:51 PM
That's such good news calismum. Please give Alfie a gentle cuddle from me. He is a good boy.

yola
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Excellent news! All steps in the right direction; towards a full recovery. Hugs to you and a gentle cuddle to Alfie.

PoshPuss
09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear Afie is getting better CM :D

Elaine
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
So pleased to read about Alfies health improvements, long may they continue xxxx;)

calismum
20-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Update - not much more news. Vet tonight, heart still a bit fast, fluid all gone.

No idea what is actually wrong. He is so thin, can feel his pelvis and every bump in his spine - and he has put on a litle weight.

Took more bloods tonight so I asked him to test for thyroid even tho' he said it is highly unlikely.

He is eating very well but just not putting the flesh on.

Anyone got ideas for a 'help Alfie put on more weight diet'? He is not a fussy boy and will try most things.

To phone vet on Saturday for blood results.

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Maybe oily fish, like sardines? Lots of calories in fats. Some cheese for treats, more calories there. I know there are weight-loss foods for cats; are there any for weight gain? Or, how about kitten food..that's richer than adult food!

calismum
20-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe oily fish, like sardines? Lots of calories in fats. Some cheese for treats, more calories there. I know there are weight-loss foods for cats; are there any for weight gain? Or, how about kitten food..that's richer than adult food!

Thanks for that reply DM, I admit to feeling a bit down tonight, just so worried about my boy but not wanting to post all over the place about him. Just couldn't think what to do next. So your response and ideas very welcomed.

He is quite interested in Kinsi's kitten food so I could give him that, he also loves cheese so I could grate some on his food for a while. Will get sardines tomorrow.

Why is it that I give that advice to others but can't think about it for my own?:oops:

CM

Mags
20-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I hope he'll enjoy DM's suggestions and starts to build up some weight CM...... let us know how he gets on with his new 'diet'! :D

dandysmom
20-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for that reply DM, I admit to feeling a bit down tonight, just so worried about my boy but not wanting to post all over the place about him. Just couldn't think what to do next. So your response and ideas very welcomed.

He is quite interested in Kinsi's kitten food so I could give him that, he also loves cheese so I could grate some on his food for a while. Will get sardines tomorrow.

Why is it that I give that advice to others but can't think about it for my own?:oops:

CM

You're too close and too emotionally involved. It's easier for me to sit here and offer suggestions because I'm not looking at my dearly loved cat who's so skinny...I'd be exactly the same if it were me!

Natalie
21-10-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm sad to read about your worries with your Alfie.

Sending you lots of positive vibes and hope he gets his appetite back as soon as.

Think you could do with some hugs too

Hugs

farthing
24-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Hope all goes well for Alfie tomorrow, if it is his thyroid you should see weight going back on once he goes on his medication. The vets didn't think Samson had an overactive thyroid, but when I eventually got it tested his levels were nearly at 200, when they should be between 10-55. I would also suggest putting a bit of oil in his food, it is a good way to add calories without him having to take in anymore bulk.

calismum
25-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Hope all goes well for Alfie tomorrow, if it is his thyroid you should see weight going back on once he goes on his medication. The vets didn't think Samson had an overactive thyroid, but when I eventually got it tested his levels were nearly at 200, when they should be between 10-55. I would also suggest putting a bit of oil in his food, it is a good way to add calories without him having to take in anymore bulk.

Thanks farthing, I'll do that. The vet is not convinced it is thyroid as he's only 5yrs. I know nothing about it so just need to wait and see what he says tomorrow.

Thanks for your good wishes.

CM

angieh
25-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I have bought some salmon oil for Merlin - I've just got to work out the dosage for his weight and see how he takes to it. He loves anything salmony. I'll let you know how he takes to it - maybe something to consider for Alfie?

Best wishes to you and healing vibes for Alfie.

I know how you feel - it really gives me pleasure when Merlin eats his food with gusto and I feel quite anxious and depressed when he doesn't want to eat.

dinahsmum
25-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I do hope he picks up soon. I like DMs suggestions for getting a bit of weight on him. I think I'd just try to get him in the habit of nibbling at any time, either 'real food' or treats.

farthing
25-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't know Alfie was so young, hyperthyroid does tend to be an old cats' disease, however it doesn't rule him out.
The thyroid controls the body's metabolism, so when the thyroxine levels are increased all the body's functions are speeded up. This can cause kidney failure ( if untreated long term), racing heart, high blood pressure, excessive weight loss with increased appetite and unsettled behaviour. It can be treated in 3 different ways- medication, which requires blood tests until the right levels are reached and then 6 monthly to yearly blood tests to monitor. Some tablets need to be given twice daily and some once daily.
Radiotherapy can be used to kill off the thyroid cell, but your cat must go to a vet school and be there for a few months.
Thyroidectomy, where, usually half the thyroid is removed, although your cat has to be stabilised first with medication and it can be a risky op, as the parathyroid lies beside the thyroid and removal of this can be quite dangerous.
However, I have 4 hyperthyroid cats and when given their tablets religiously, are all very well.

Now, I wriiten all this and it probably isn't a thyroid problem at all.

yola
25-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Any news on the results CM???

calismum
25-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Spoke to vet today. Thyroid results came back negative. Thank goodness as he is young, but Farthing, thank you so much for taking the time to post the info.

I asked them to do a full blood screen for me and he tested his urine too (that was fun trying to get a sample!!)

Liver and kidney function are both normal, nothing extraordinary showing up at all.

Nothing showing in his urine either.

End result is he has a heart condition caused or brought on by ???????????????? on checking his notes there has been no indication of racing or abnormality at his annual health checks.

Plan is to finish the diuretics and hope the fluid doesn't come back: Finish the heart tablets and see how he does: Keep him on digitalis for life.

He has gained 2 pounds since last weighed so that is good. I think he has a bit more energy now which is also really good.

Basically I have a lovely cat with a heart condition which we will just have to monitor and live with.

Can I just say thank you all so much for the time you have all taken to support me thru all this and for the great advice you have given.

Alfie sends big purrs and chin bumps to everyone.

CM x

dandysmom
26-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Good news, CM, especially the weight gain! Thank Alfie for the chin bump and give him a chin-tickle from me.... (and maybe a little extra treat!)

Tina
26-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Spoke to vet today. Thyroid results came back negative. Thank goodness as he is young, but Farthing, thank you so much for taking the time to post the info.

I asked them to do a full blood screen for me and he tested his urine too (that was fun trying to get a sample!!)

Liver and kidney function are both normal, nothing extraordinary showing up at all.

Nothing showing in his urine either.

End result is he has a heart condition caused or brought on by ???????????????? on checking his notes there has been no indication of racing or abnormality at his annual health checks.

Plan is to finish the diuretics and hope the fluid doesn't come back: Finish the heart tablets and see how he does: Keep him on digitalis for life.

He has gained 2 pounds since last weighed so that is good. I think he has a bit more energy now which is also really good.

Basically I have a lovely cat with a heart condition which we will just have to monitor and live with.

Can I just say thank you all so much for the time you have all taken to support me thru all this and for the great advice you have given.

Alfie sends big purrs and chin bumps to everyone.

CM x

Hi CM

Only just got to read this, haven't been on the forums for awhile. Glad to hear Alfie's doing better!

Hugs and purrs from me, Miw, and Mousie

Mags
26-10-2008, 11:30 AM
That's good news CM, especially with a weight gain too...:D

Elaine
26-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Very pleased to hear that Alfie is doing well, even if the heart condition is unexplained.
Love and hugs to you both xxx

angieh
26-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Glad Alfie has put on a bit of weight and also that his b & u tests are clear. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me and ((((HUGS)))) for you too!

Moli
27-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Pleased to read he has put on some weight CM...and the tests are all clear......You must be so relieved....x

calismum
27-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Pleased to read he has put on some weight CM...and the tests are all clear......You must be so relieved....x

Certainly am. Now his heart has slowed to a normal rate his metabolism is obviously settling downand so he is putting some weight on. He is not so tired and lethargic so looks better.

Best sign is he is starting to wash himself again. So I assume he feels better in himself too.

It is such a relief to stroke his back and not feel every notch in his spine and the shape of his pelvis.

Thanks

CM

yola
27-10-2008, 09:28 AM
As you say, I think it's just something you will all have to learn to live with and watch for warning signs. You can then jump on the symptoms and get them back under control. I hope Alfie continues to bounce back :D

Kazz
27-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Thats great news you know what you are dealing with I often think its the unknown where our cats ae concerned that scares us the most.

And it will keep your old grey cells working learning what is best for you and him, and it will strengthen an already solid bond between you.

Elaine
27-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Thats great news you know what you are dealing with I often think its the unknown where our cats ae concerned that scares us the most.

And it will keep your old grey cells working learning what is best for you and him, and it will strengthen an already solid bond between you.

Here here, very wise words from an insane woman;)
I agree wholeheartedly.