PDA

View Full Version : What SHOULD I have done?

angieh
15-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I am asking this question in case the same thing happens again .......

I was coming home in the car with OH and MIL early afternoon today and just around the corner from my home I saw an Afghan hound run into the road. We live in a semi rural location on narrow lanes, but obviously it is still dangerous, both for the dog and drivers. I got out of the car and went to see if the dog was wearing any identification. By this time the animal had gone back to sitting on some grass up by the gate of a bungalow set back off the road - so safe for the dog. A lovely friendly creature, looking well cared for, with a pink studded collar, but no tags. Then the dog belonging to the bungalow came out - a lovely red setter, also friendly - but the gate was locked, there was additional fencing on the top and no way I could see for the dog to have escaped from that bungalow. Neither could I get in to go and ask the householder if the Afghan belonged there. Both dogs seemed happy to be together.

I am afraid I had to leave the Afghan there and come home myself and did nothing further. Short of doing a house to house, I could not think of what else to do. I feel I have not done all I should to ensure that dog's safety.

pinklizzy
15-09-2008, 10:06 PM
It's always a difficult situation, the only thing I would've suggested would be taking the dog to the nearest vets to scan for a chip?

angieh
17-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Wouldn't that open a person up to being accused of dog-napping? Especially if the dog was actually resident in the immediate area!