PDA

View Full Version : Buyers online beware.

farthing
13-09-2008, 12:56 PM
We have just had to cancel our credit card, because we have discovered it isn't secure at all. It a long story but bare with me.
At the end of last month we kept getting a waring from microsoft saying we needed to update security, and we couldn't get rid of it, it came up every time we switched on the computer and would reappear every 10 mins or so. Finally we relented and bought it for £34.
We got a conformation e-mail saying we have bought it, plus additional software for $145 (£87 ish). We tried to stop it using the contact on the e-mail, they all go nowhere. We called our credit card company who said if we have no proof we ordered something for £34, they had to honour the £87. This then meant any company could ask for any amount of money and the company would honour it, what if this dud security company asked for more money- they would have to pay it, even if we said to stop it as we had no proof of purchase. We cancelled our credit card over the phone, again no proof we've done it, so we have had to ask for an e-mail to be sent incase they accept any more claims.
We contacted trading standards, again they can do nothing as it is an american company, so it looks like we have lost that money and our old security system has deleted this new one.

So if you get anything on you computer from microsoft, mentioning spyware-shop. 15 or e-safeBill ignore it, they even have the cheek to say if you dispute it , it may affect you credit rating.
BE WARNED !!!!!!!

PoshPuss
13-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that Farthing but I'm so sorry you got stung :(
They can sound so credible, these ads, and what's more to play on your peace of mind is just despicable. Now it's left you more insecure than ever!
I'm always wary of buying online, I was duped on Ebay once. Now I only go to trusted sites like Amazon, Play.com. Even then I get the jitters about hackers etc :shock:

EmmaG
13-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I think people should be very aware that they should not purchase anything over the internet that they not originally wanted to purchase.

Far too many scammers out there.

Sorry to hear that you lost your money

dandysmom
13-09-2008, 04:33 PM
What a distressing experience, farthing! I'm always wary of that sort of thing; get a e-mail supposedly from Bank of America (I have a credit card there) occasionally telling me I need to update my info; a scam, of course and just delete it. Re that insistent message from "Microsoft"...does your computer have a "Block Sender" or Blacklist" in your e-mail? I find it very handy for that sort of message.....

Thanks for the alert; we can never be too careful on line.

calismum
13-09-2008, 05:18 PM
oh farthing that's rotton. It is just so easy to be taken in by some of these professional spammers. I think, like us all, you are so paranoid about keeping spyware etc. up to date these folk just target where they can.

Thanks for the heads up.

CM

angieh
13-09-2008, 06:04 PM
That's horrible and happens all too often to people. There are websites that give alerts of current scams - I'll post a link later.

We buy a lot online and at the beginning of last week had our card payment rejected. I phoned the card customer services and got a load of old twaddle spouted at me! Had to cancel the card and get a new one issued. That arrived yesterday and I phoned the line number to validate it this afternoon. A while later we tried using it to buy something else and it was refused again! Finally got through to the card fraud service and they said as it was an "unusual payment" they had stopped the card! Explained we are doing a lot of home improvement atm and they reinstated it and we made our purchase. I am glad that the card company are vigilant on our behalf but it is frustrating when that happens, especially so soon after it had happend before. I've got the Fraud branch's direct line number now in case it happens again!

I am getting worried about identify theft too.

Phoenix
13-09-2008, 07:40 PM
So sorry to hear you got stung by scammers, farthing. Thanks for the warning!

Kay
14-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the warning. There are so many of these type of scams about nowadays. So sorry you got caught by it.