PDA

View Full Version : Urine Question

Phoenix
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Basically, I spoke to the vets yesterday and they need a urine sample from Beauty this month. We have got two options:

The first option is to get some none clumping litter and get her to use her litter tray,
The second option is to drop Beauty in to the vets one morning and them try to get a urine sample from Beauty in a litter tray there.

Problem is, Beauty refuses point blank to use a litter tray. Full stop. She insists she uses the garden. Even if we keep her in overnight, she still won't!

Does anyone have any advice for me so I can get a urine sample from her please?

Mags
12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I wonder why Beauty won't use a litter tray, surely she used one when she was in Rescue..:?

Your only options are to leave her with the vet, although if she will use their tray she should be able to use yours (that's assuming you have one!)....or follow her out into the garden with a saucer or something similar and be at the ready if she starts scratching the soil. Sounds funny I know but a Catsey member has done this in the past..;)

Moli
12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I got special littler from the vets when I had to get a sample from Leo, I would ask your vet for some, the urine does not soak into the litter, making it simple to collect...

dandysmom
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I used the saucer trick when the vet wanted a sample. It was before the clumping litter days; I snuck up behind him while he was in the tray and caught enough to be useable .....

kado
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I was supposed too the same for guinness and simon but they wouldnt let us do it. The vet manliputated the bladder so they could go its undignifyed but the vet should be able to do it. It might stopped you getting stressed out and upsetting beauty.

jane

Phoenix
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I wonder why Beauty won't use a litter tray, surely she used one when she was in Rescue..:?

Your only options are to leave her with the vet, although if she will use their tray she should be able to use yours (that's assuming you have one!)....or follow her out into the garden with a saucer or something similar and be at the ready if she starts scratching the soil. Sounds funny I know but a Catsey member has done this in the past..;)

She must have used a tray in rescue! They had one for her and none of the cats have access to outdoors!

Yes, we have a litter tray for her, like I said since we started letting her out she's never used her tray! :?

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'll try, problem is, again, we don't know exactly where she goes in the garden (if you get my meaning), she probably goes in a difficult-for-people-to-access spot in the garden. Worth trying though!

Edited to say: I've just thought of this, maybe because she was so long in the rescue it put her off using litter trays! (I don't know if that's possible, but it was a sudden thought I had just now) She was in rescue for three months.

Phoenix
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
She used her tray last night but the litter wasn't suitable. I've got some special litter from the vets and I've got two weeks to get a sample from her. The vet said to bring her in after the two weeks if she hasn't "performed".

It could be that she's frightened to use the litter tray for some reason, it's one she can get in easily and we've got it in a place where she won't normally be disturbed (she's usually nervous of people walking around too close to her, unless they belong to her)

yola
03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
You can get some special litter from the vet, I used it when Balie was being tested for urine crystals. However if Beauty won't use the tray that's all a bit academic.

What about keeping her in for a prolonged period of time until she HAS to use the tray? Ok, she won't like it but it means you don't have to follow her around the neighbourhood with a dish :shock:

I think your theory about her hating litter trays because of the rescue association could well be correct . . .

Phoenix
03-10-2008, 08:07 PM
You can get some special litter from the vet, I used it when Balie was being tested for urine crystals. However if Beauty won't use the tray that's all a bit academic.

What about keeping her in for a prolonged period of time until she HAS to use the tray? Ok, she won't like it but it means you don't have to follow her around the neighbourhood with a dish :shock:

I think your theory about her hating litter trays because of the rescue association could well be correct . . .

I've got some special litter, it's in the tray now! Just a case of getting Beauty to stop shooting away from the tray! :shock:

dandysmom
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Little problem there! Maybe keeping her in till she goes would work, but it's sure to stress her...yet you really can't follow her around the neighborhood all day with a saucer....

Phoenix
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Little problem there! Maybe keeping her in till she goes would work, but it's sure to stress her...yet you really can't follow her around the neighborhood all day with a saucer....

It might work, but she's a regular houdini when it comes to if we're trying to keep her in ...