PDA

View Full Version : Indoor cats and vaccinations

meep
10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
A bit of a controversial issue, but I wanted to see what people's opinions were.

If you have indoor only cats, with no other pets that go outside, is it feasible to not give them their booster vaccinations every year?

I'm not asking because I flat-out won't get mine done, I of course have the well-fare and safety of my two boys at the fore-front of my mind. I'm just curious what people's opninions are on the issue.

When we first got our two about 2 1/2 months ago, they had just had all jabs done up to date by the CPL. The CP lady who brought them round to ours said that if they hated the vets, as lots of cats do, but as they are so big and very strong, with very sharp claws, it took about 2 hours to get them both done. Minsky was first, kicked up a huge fuss, and even the vet, the CP lady and two nurses couldn't hold him down. And him being wound up got Darcy all in a tizz. As a CP lady, she has taken a lot of cats to get injections at the vet before, but she said it was one of her worst experiences of it!

So she suggested that as their indoor cats, and as it caused them so much stress before, that maybe getting them done less frequently wouldn't be a bad thing. Which got me thinking, which is why I've gotten round to posting this now.

So - any thoughts or comments?

Note: this is by no way me giving an indication that I won't take my two to get any boosters done when time comes. I am not commiting to a viewpoint on this, but would like to hear other's opinions.

angieh
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I know that there is quite a debate currently about immunisations generally and I have to say that although I used to have Merlin and Smudge done regularly when they were small, I stopped having the vaccine many years ago. Having said that, I do remember the dreadful cat flu outbreaks that happened every few years in 50's and 60's. I don't think any vaccines were available then and my aunt's cat population were usually cut in half at least by those horrible outbreaks. Very distressing for her and horrible for the poor cats concerned. Then there is feline distemper and HIV too to consider.

This site seems to be a reasonable introduction to the pros and cons - I am sure that you will be able to research further. Of couse, if you ever want to put Darcy and Minsky in a cattery for a holiday, you will have to keep their immunisation records up to date.

http://www.avma.org/vafstf/rbbroch.asp

Please give both your boys a cuddle from me!

meep
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reply angie, very informative and well said!

I have heard snippets of the debate over immunisations etc. My mum is quite against giving animals any injections etc. they don't need, so I do have that influence from childhood but I am also concerned of the boys safety. I would, of course, get them up to date if they were ever to be put in a cattery or made outdoor cats.

I just thought it might not be wholly necessary as they are indoor only, we have no other pets either indoor or outdoor, and so the only way I can think of them contracting something is by picking it up off of us. But I have no other friends with cats who I go and visit, apart from Sophie at home with my dad, and if I've washed my hands and clothes I can't see how they would contract anything?

Again this is just speculation, as I'm sure it's not that simple!

meep
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh, this also applies to worming / fleaing. The CP lady also suggested that worming and fleaing every 3 months isn't as essential either, and perhaps only do it once a year.

calismum
10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Misty was a house cat - her choice - never went out. We had three dogs at the time so I opted to worm her annually. Only had to deflea her twice as one of the dogs picked fleas up a couple of times.

Gave her the first injections and her first booster. After that never gave her another.

angieh is right about the cattery tho'.

We were in the process of selling and moving house a few years back. I (hang my head in shame) forgot to get the dog her booster. Suddenly remembered and went off to my vet in a panic, 17 months had passed. He said not to worry, they wouldn't even begin to think of it as a risk under 18months.

Do believe there is immunity built up over a period of time.

CM

alexgirl73
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
My cats had their first vacs done and haven't had any since. I dont personally feel it is necessary to give them it. They are house cats, dont use catteries. And I always wash my hands after touching CP cats.

dandysmom
10-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Mine have always been house cats; have never taken them for shots after their original immunizations. Also, I don't worm, and have only used Frontline the one time I had a flea invasion. Don't use catteries. It's a personal decision; I've been happy with my plan and the cats have been in excellent health and long-lived ......

Elvisisboss
11-09-2008, 02:38 AM
my kitten is a indoor kitten and he had his first injections and im not sure i will give his boosters.

with my older cat i was only 14 when i got him i didnt know about injections etc and he had his first & possible 2nd and we were never told to come back in and his never had any since and his 11and he goes out vets checks every 6 weeks never been told anything other then bar his allergies (only started 3/4years ago) and his tum (started age about 6 months) his healthy!

my kitten, we are unsure whether we are going to do the annual boosters, the vet was Very pushy about it saying we can bring it in on our shoes/clothes etc!

There is 2 cats ive seen living near here both outdoor cats, one birman-never leave his front doorstep his quite far from us, id sat 150ft away.

and 1 cross cat, always sits in her front lawn about 50ft from us. no other cats other than them that i have seen in 3years here! and i very rarely go out due to illness, so cant see me bringing anything in.

i will still worm every 3/6 months and possible flea every 6 months, cant see fleas getting in here if he doesnt go out??

im alot stricter when i had my doggy, injections & boosters are 100% and flea & worm every 3 months as obviously he went out everyday!

guess ill see nearer the time, but for now i think its a no from me! x

dandysmom
11-09-2008, 02:48 AM
There has been some discussion in the news here about cats developing cancer at the site if their injections. Makes one think......

Elvisisboss
11-09-2008, 03:17 AM
oh dear really??

thats awful, as long as they are fed right and looked after, i mean you still cant stop whats in there genes, i always think if someone is going to get ill animal or not, you arent going to stop it, i was born with my illness, nothing i did could have prevented it!

just have to do the best we can to be healthy & see what happens really.

nothing i could have done to prevent my cats tum being ill it just 'happened' we do all we can to have him have a comfortable life to live with it, but he will still have it. injections/remedies or not.

meep
11-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for all your replies everyone! Very much appreciated.

It is really interesting to know that quite a lot of indoor cat owners don't get their cats vaccinated; I am of this mind-set as well. Unless we use a cattery or they become outdoor cats, I also feel that there will be no need to get my two vaccinated. Partly due to their huge distate for needles and injections, but also because I am sceptical of all these vaccinations they are given, and with reports such as DM mentioned of them doing more harm than good, my two are safe indoors with no contact to outside world or cats...

dandysmom
11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's a link to injection site sarcoma. Very informative, especially the last paragraph .......

http://www.avma.org/vafstf/ownbroch.asp

calismum
12-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Interesting site DM. Really makes you think.

CM

dandysmom
12-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Coincidentally I just happen to be reading a cat book by Dr. Michael W. Fox, a well known vet here in the States, and quote from him in the Vaccinations section:

"Adult cats need periodic booster shots; your vet will keep a record.Too many indoor cats who are never allowed to roam the neighborhood (nor should they, I believe) are given unnecessary vaccinations, because the risks far exceed the chances of exposure to infected cats."