PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bulbs

calismum
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, it's the time of year to think about what bulbs to put in for next year.

This is only my 2nd year in this garden and I'm slowly building up different areas.

I have loads of snowdrops and daffs. Am thinking tulips and maybe a few iris.

Any other suggestions for hardy bulbs? What do you have in your garden.

CM

Kazz
08-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Tulips............you can get a stunning variety of colours and they can be in flower from Spring through to June

dandysmom
08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Lots of the little bulbs: species crocus, miniature daffodils, grape hyacinths, chionodoxa (stunning blue!), anemones (blanda and de Caen), all the varieties of Emperor tulips (red, yellow, white), Virginia bluebells, scilla ....

Am trying a new bulb this year: camassia...will post a link...another lovely blue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quamash

calismum
08-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Forgot about crocus and anemones. Must try and get some of these.

Never heard of chionodoxa or Emperor tulips. I'm off to google!

Favourite colours for the garden are pink, lilac, purples, creams and blues. Not so fond of oranges or reds but have a few bits here and there

dandysmom
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
You probably guessed I'm partial to blues and lavendars, but I have to have the blazing fiery red of an Emperor tulip after a long, cold, grey, bleak Winter!

calismum
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, I'm sold on the chionodoxa. Dobbies, which is a garden centre near me has them in blue, pink and white.

Also they have emporer tulips in a range of colours but I thought the cream was lovely.

Guess where I'm going at the weekend??

CM

dandysmom
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Happy shopping! Bet you end up with more than that, however....garden centres are toooooo tempting!

calismum
08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I just get so tempted by plants. We were at an agricultural show at the weekend and there, tucked in a corner, was a plant stall.

Bought two little black saxifaga for the alpine bed.
Yellow Echinacea
Pink Sidalcea
Blue Veronica gentianoides
Epimedium grandiflorum - not sure of the colour

and I only went to look!!

dandysmom
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
:smt005 Tell me about it!! I'm exactly the same.....