PDA

View Full Version : Sore Ears

Irish Setter Mu
08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi there - I've just registered with Catsey, have been a member of Dogsey for a while and have just an introduction on my previous thread.

I wonder if any of you can help me with this please. Meg my fluffy tortoiseshell & white female has a sore area directly in front of each ear. I took her to the vets last Thursday and they think it is Harvest Mites. They have sprayed her with Frontline spray and given her a jab to help with the itching. Her ears still look really sore and I have bathed them a couple of times with salt water (when she will let me near her!). Was advised to wait a week to see how things went.

Have any of you had a similar problem? Thanks in advance, Karen

Mags
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Poor Meg, it must be so irritating for her..:(

There's some information here (http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=705http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=705) about Harvest Mites which may be helpful...

.......also you can get some itch relief gel called Viatop for cats and dogs which may help ease the itching for Meg. Maybe check with your vet first but I would think it was cheaper to buy it online....

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=705

Please let us know how she gets on......

calismum
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
my dog had these last year (worse in warm damp summers I'm told). Frontline spray was what I used. Was told to make sure the infested area was well covered as they need direct contact to kill them.

She was fine the next day by that time the itching had gone. Redone her 6 weeks later and had no other probs.

Hope it works for her.

CM

meep
09-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Our cat, Sophie, had these for a while. She'd scratched her ears so much she had no fur left on them for a while! We were given drops to put in her ears, as well as Frontline. It cleared up pretty quickly after that. Hopefully with coming of colder weather all the bugs will be depeleting in numbers soon too.

Good luck with clearing them up! And welcome to Catsey :)

Irish Setter Mu
09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Meg's ears don't look to be getting any better so I took her back to the vets tonight and she is going back again tomorrow morning as I have booked her in for sedation to have a number of matts removed - they are going to have a good look whilst she is sedated tomorrow.

Will let you know how I get on - but thanks for your replies so far.

Mags
09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Meg's ears don't look to be getting any better so I took her back to the vets tonight and she is going back again tomorrow morning as I have booked her in for sedation to have a number of matts removed - they are going to have a good look whilst she is sedated tomorrow.

Will let you know how I get on - but thanks for your replies so far.

Hope all goes well for Meg at the vets, she'll feel a lot better with those matts gone..

Fingers crossed that they can do something about her poor ears too...