PDA

View Full Version : Off to the Vets

Elaine
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Just a quickie, am off to the vets with Eva. She had the runs again last night and it had some blood in it, this morning I woke up to poo puddles which looked mucasy and jelly like, very dark in colour. She was also lip smacking.
Am very worried about her so please keep fingers crossed that its nothing serious.

yola
06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Elaine, everything crossed for Eva - you must be very worried :( I hope it's just something that's irritated her innards rather than anything more sinister. Hugs to you both.

angieh
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Thinking about Eva and you. Hope sincerely all is OK.

Donna
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Hope Eva gets better soon x

Jac
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Everything crossed here for you Elaine. Hope Eva is back to normal soon.

Mags
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Truly hope it's nothing serious Elaine, thinking of you both...... fingers crossed...

alexgirl73
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Everything crossed here too Elaine. ((hugs)) if she'll let you, to the Diva xx

Elaine
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Just back, vet was very thorough, I do like him. I took a sample with me yuk.
He is not overly worried at this stage, he said that i have probably made it worse by starving her, I told him that thats what I was always told from other vets to do. He says that its an old fashoined way but it is actually much better to give them good proteins such as chicken and fish, so I am now off to the super market. He has given me some Hills I/D and said that some B-vits would also be benficial. I should see an improvement in her tomorrow and even more so by monday, if not I have to call him and we will discuss where to go from here.
He could give her anti biotics but doesnt want to at this stage as that will upset her tummy a little more.
Thanx for your well wishes, the blood gave me quite a fright.

Mags
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank goodness the vet isn't overly worried with Eva at this stage, Elaine. Let's hope the chicken or fish will settle her poor tum quickly.

Hugs to you both...

Elaine
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I hope so Mags. Fortunately I do always keep a supply of B-vits as well as slippery elm bark, an old habit from the days of Winston.
Have added the B vits to her water and she has eaten some Hills I/D. The biggest problem is gonna be feeding her separately from Bernie, but I'll figure something out. Then again, I am sure he wont mind some chicken and fish either.

alexgirl73
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank goodness! I hope she's a lot better over the next few days Elaine. that girl does love to worry you doesn't she?

angieh
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Glad the vet isn't worried Elaine - hope you see an improvement in her very soon. ((((HUGS)))) for you and a reassuring purrrrrr to Eva from Merlin.

Tina
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Hope Eva's feeling better soon, Elaine! The Hills I/D is really good stuff, it was what Mouse was put on last week when she was ill and she's feeling much better now! Hope it works as well for Eva!

Mouse sends purr-y hugs and soft paw pats to Eva!

Tina

dandysmom
06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Just caught up with this, Elaine, so sorry poor Eva is under the weather. Hope shel'll be much better soon. Interesting to hear the vet's opinion about the starving; I always thought that was the thing to do ......

Elvisisboss
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
awww :( i hope she is feeling better soon *big hugs* to her, so horrible when they are ill :(

hope she enjoys her chicken later and lots of big hUgs x

Phoenix
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Hope Eva gets better soon! :(

Elaine
06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Just caught up with this, Elaine, so sorry poor Eva is under the weather. Hope shel'll be much better soon. Interesting to hear the vet's opinion about the starving; I always thought that was the thing to do ......

Me too, and its always what I have been advised to do by other vets but I do trust Andrews opinion.
She seems a little brighter in herself and we have put down puppy pads for any more accidents.
Thanx for every ones concern xxx

Moli
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Thank goodness they are not worried about Eva, must ahve given you a real fright seeing blood Elaine....Hopfully she will pick up now and return to normal....Hugsxx

calismum
06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Just read this - hope she is ok, what a worry for you. Keep us posted.

CM

sammy
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Really hope Eva feels better soon.........x

Elaine
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, Eva is enjoying her Hills I/D as well as her fish, just poaching some chicken for her. She has left a few poo puddles but they are firming up and there doesnt apear to be any blood in them.
She seems more like her normal self in attitude. Just about to get showered and dressed then give her a good groom. With her being so fluffy in the trouser leg dept, its not gonna be easy but I am sure that she will feel better for it.

Mags
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Pleased to hear Eva has improved a little today Elaine, her poor tum must have been so sore yesterday. Nothing like a bit of fuss from her Mum to make her feel better........good luck grooming around her trouser legs!:D

dandysmom
07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Glad to hear she's perking up a bit and eating well. Good luck grooming the trousers!

Moli
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Brilliant!to here she is much better....
Any chance of grooming Merlin & Leo's trousers for me!;)

Elaine
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Brilliant!to hesr she is much better....
Any chance of grooming Merlin & Leo's trousers for me!;)

Do they bite, hiss and growl?;)

Kazz
07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Hiya

Aw sorry Eva is poorly or has been, I've missed this been so busy.... hope she's a lot better.

Karen

Elaine
07-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Hiya

Aw sorry Eva is poorly or has been, I've missed this been so busy.... hope she's a lot better.

Karen

Thanx Karen, she'll be fine, just got a bit of a fright because of the blood. She is now getting fed up of fish and chicken, and crying at her buscuit bowl. Will see how she is tomorow before atempting to give her a wee handfull of buscuits though.

yola
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey Elaine . . . maybe Graham's been talking to her . . . ;)

Elaine
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
07-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Maybe she wants fish pie with a side of mushrooms.... :-D

angieh
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear that Eva is a bit better. Hope the trouser grooming goes well.

farthing
08-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Glad to hear she's feeling better, is your vet Andrew Stalker, if so, both he and Emma are very good.

Elaine
08-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear she's feeling better, is your vet Andrew Stalker, if so, both he and Emma are very good.

I dont know his last name but am guessing its the same person as there cannt be many Emma and Andrews in the same practice. It's Aurora Vet in Bankhead.
I have so much confidence in him, easy to talk to, doesnt talk vet jargon at you, patient and interested. He is very good with Eva and tries very hard not to put her under any undue stress, takes the time to try to keep her calm instead of rushing to get the job done and her out of the surgery.

No poo puddles at all this morning but she doesnt have the same gusto over her food as she had, maybe by tomorrow though she will be back to her normal self completely.

angieh
08-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I do hope so Elaine - can't bear to think of Eva with no gusto!

Elaine
09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Eva had a solid poo last night but this morning there was another poo puddle:roll: . Will carry on with the Hills I/D for now. Will give Andrew a call tomorow morning if she is no better.
In herself she is fine although has developed a great fear of carier bags:shock: Could just be that she is more sensitve than normal due to being under the weather.

meep
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Elaine, have just caught up with this thread now. So sorry to hear of your worrise with Eva over the weekend, but really glad to hear she seems to be on the mend a little. Your vet really does sound very good and thorough, and I'm sure with his expertise and you're care and love Eva will be back on track soon :)

Elaine
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Hmm, think I'll give him a call in the morning. Came back this evening to more poo puddles. Not completely runny but not solid either.

Elaine
10-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Waiting to call the vet as soon as it opens. Was woken up 3 times in the night by Eva scratching around and cleaning up poop. I eventually shut both cats out of the bedroom so as i could get some sleep. Feeling really guilty about that as i dont normally get upset with her but last night I could have just screamed and cried.
This morning G got up and woke me by complaining about the poo puddles. I got up and helped to clean it all.
I am begining to disagree with my vet Andrew on this one about feeding her when this happens but then again there may be some sort of bug hanging around her rather than her just upsetting herself, maybe an antibiotic is in order.
What ever it is, we have to get it sorted as me and G are feeling the stress of cleaning up the puddles which isnt going to do her any good.

yola
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh Elaine; I really feel for you both. Your last post sounds very depressed and despondent. I don't really know what to suggest . . . but I just want you to know I'm hoping things improve as it obviously is awful for you, but not too nice for Eva either :(

Elaine
10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Eva is going into the vets this afternoon. Nop more poo puddles but I didnt give her any breakfast, I know Andrew said not to do that but I have been cleaning up poo puddles for days now and i cannt take any more. It wouldnt be so bad if she were a normal cat who used a litter box. The house is wall to wall puppy pads and still she finds carpet to poop on instead, this morning it was the sofa too. I know she cannt help it and I feel terrible feeling the way i do right now about her.
The vet is talking about blood tests and fecal samples, why cann they just take her temp and givce her antibiotics? Now i am begining to doubt this vet also.

Elaine
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok just back from vets, had to take both Eva and Bernie as Bernie now has the runs too:(
They have both had a long lasting antibiotic injection, have got more B vits and some pro kolin.
I have decided to confine both to the kitchen when we are in bed and out at work to limit any further mess.
Off now to organise the kitchen for them.
Fingers crossed they will both dry up over night now.

dandysmom
10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear that, Elaine. Hope they both start improving soon.....

alexgirl73
10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
oh Elaine. I am so feeling for you chum, having been where you are. When Teddie was like this I was told to starve her for 24 hours, then introduce a little white fish and plain rice for the next, then slowly re introduce her normal food. But she was also given metronidazole for the suspected giardia. Is there any chance this could be the problem with Eva?

Elaine
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I dont know Alex tbh, I am not all that clued up on Guardia but there is definately something coz Bernie now has the runs, G isnt feeling to great and i havent been too hot either. For me, I was putting my sicky feeling down to the constant cleaning of poo and lack of sleep.

angieh
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I am so sorry Elaine. Poor you and poor cats - presumably it's a bug of some sort.

calismum
10-09-2008, 05:39 PM
How awful for you (all). Has this been a long running thing with her? Just a thought that I meant to post earlier, maybe not relevant now that bernie upset too.

I had a dog who was intolerant of animal protien. It resulted in runny poos then solid once on antibiotics or when I changed diet, then back to runny poos again.

She ended up being fed chicken/rice/pasta based diets. But avoided stronger feeds. - just a thought.

Hope it all turns out.

CM

Elaine
10-09-2008, 05:46 PM
How awful for you (all). Has this been a long running thing with her? Just a thought that I meant to post earlier, maybe not relevant now that bernie upset too.

I had a dog who was intolerant of animal protien. It resulted in runny poos then solid once on antibiotics or when I changed diet, then back to runny poos again.

She ended up being fed chicken/rice/pasta based diets. But avoided stronger feeds. - just a thought.

Hope it all turns out.

CM

Hi CM and thanx for your post, I dont think its a food intolerance tbh. Eva does sometimes get upset easily and when she gets upset she gets the runs. This time though I think its a bug rather than stress related.

calismum
10-09-2008, 05:50 PM
No worries - finger crossed the long acting antibiotics work.

CM

Mags
10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear Bernie has got this bug too....... must be awful for both you and G to cope with, not feeling too good yourselves....:(

Hope the ABs kick in and things improve soon....

Elaine
11-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Well the good news is that there was no poo puddles this morning:D but then again they didnt eat much yesterday. Just doing some chicken for them for this morning.
We put them both in the kitchen over night and there wasn't a peep out of them.
Fingers crossed that the AB's have done the trick and they will be right as rain again.

meep
11-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Elaine that's great news for this morning! But so sorry to hear that all four of you aren't feeling too great; it does sound like a bug, which is good news long term as it will pass!

You're so lucky you can lock them in a room at night and not hear a peep. If we so much as shut one door, even the bathroom door, they keep us up all night scratching and yowling at it :roll:

Hope you all start to feel better as the day goes on :)

Mags
11-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Good news that there has been an improvement overnight, Elaine........hopefully if will continue..:)

dandysmom
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I echo that!!!

Erin
11-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh mate I didnt realise you are all feeling naff,glad the kitties had a better night,hope you all feel much much better soon xxxx

farthing
11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear your not well, but glad the cats are a bit better.:D

angieh
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hope that dratted bug is on the way out! Feel better soon, all of you ............

cats' staff
11-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Smudge says get well to her twin, hope you all feel better soon. I find bio yoghurt can help with bad tummies, they seem to like it and it can help replenish good bacteria which antibiotics can reduce. It works for me too!