PDA

View Full Version : Cat with different sized kidneys - help

serenbren
04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I took my 9 year old cat to the vet the other day for her vaccinations, and he said she had different sized kidneys and suspects kidney disease. This is a massive shock as I took her to a different vet only a week before to be microchipped and after a thorough check-up was told she was in great health.

This vet wants me to get blood and urine tests costing 200 pounds, plus an ultrasound costing 425 pounds. I simply dont have that kind of money, and even if I did, these are just the tests!

I'm so worried about putting her through a blood and urine test anyway as she's been through so much stress lately. We've moved house twice in the last month and she also reacted so badly to those jabs that I nearly rushed her to the emergency vet she was so fragile and listless (she seems to be on the mend now, thank god).

Can anyone advise me on whether different sized kidneys are always a sign something's seriously wrong? Also, if she does have kidney problems, what can be done for her that wont make her miserable? I'm wondering whether it's worth asking the vet if we can try her on antibiotics before any tests, since I'm guessing that's what they'd give her anyway.

She's always been such a healthy cat, and she hasnt shown any signs of illness except from the reaction to those jabs and conjunctivitis which appeared on Sat and I put down to low immunity after a horrible journey across London and the stress of the moves.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Seren

yola
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi, although I don't have direct or relevant experience of this I'd like to welcome you to Catsey.

Does your vet suspect kidney disease or kidney failure? I suspect one can be treated with ABs but kidney failure is a whole different ball game and needs careful medication and diet management.

I have to say the prices you've been quoted seem a bit extreme, I've had various urine tests and also full sets of bloods done for my persians and it came in just above £100 :shock: I've also had major surgery on one of them which came to about the cost you're being quoted for an ultrasound!

Are you able to seek a second opinion at this stage prior to shelling out for tests?

serenbren
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Yola,

Maybe I should seek a second opinion. It's another cost and stressful vet visit for her but may be worth it.

He did say suspected renal disease, rather than failure. But she's such a fit cat I'm wary of putting her through all of these tests when I wont be able to afford treatment and might make her ill in the process!

Seren

meep
04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Seren, welcome to Catsey! And sorry to hear of this upsetting time for you :(

My wee one, Chaska, was diagnosed with 'kidney problems' and the vet was very vague on what was actually wrong. It was only after doing a lot of research that I discovered more about chronic renal failure.

This second vet you went to does seem to have a good grasp of you cats condition and has given a good run down of what's needed.

I can't comment on different sized kidneys but I can give you a run-down of what we had to do for Chaska after she was diagnosed.

Basically she had to be put on prescription food only, which was quite expensive, and give her a pill with her food once a day. She was a rare case where she didn't get better, and lost a lot of weight, but many members on here have had cats with kidney problems who with the right care and treatement can live long happy lives.

Elaine has experience and can give lots of good advice on this, i'm sure she'll be along soon!

Try not to worry too much, you are being sensible about all of this it seems.

Out of curiosity, is your cat insured?

serenbren
04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. No, she's not insured. Before this visit I was about to get Post Office Pet Insurance as they cover older cats. Now I'm not sure if I should as I think an illness for which symptoms appeared before or within 14 days of signing up won't be covered anyway.

Do you know if the urine test will hurt her? I read that it's an injection directly into the bladder. I'm so worried that if she wasnt ill before I'll make her ill with all this if I do find the cash...!

Seren

Elaine
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Seren
I think this vet has pound signs for pupils personally. £200 for bloods and unrine is way pricey. I also think that all three tests a bit unecessary. A urine test, aprox £20 up here, will tell how concentrated the urine is.
A full blood panel, again only going by prices up here are about £80 -£100, will tell you how well the kidneys are functioning, some vets will only test the urea and creatinine which are the main ones to check but a full blood panel is worth doing so that you can see the state of play all round.
The blood panel is the one to go for as it will tell you exactly whats going on, an ultra sound as well will only confirm it tbh, so pretty much throwing money at the vet for no good reason.
Are there many vets in your area? Personally, I'd call round a few and ask for a second opinion.
Will give you several links so that you ask questions etc.
http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm#which_tests
http://www.felinecrf.org/what_is_crf.htm
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488
If you need any help with anything just shout;)
Wishing you and your cat a wrong diagnosis and all the love in the world xxx

Elaine
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.darwinvets.com/cats/kidneydiseaseincats.htm

Just out of curiousity, did this vet say whether the kidney in question was abnormally small or abnormally large?

Is your cat drinking more? Urinating more? Vomiting?

serenbren
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Elaine,

I have to say I'm pretty bowled over by the support I've got here so far, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. He just said that the kidneys are different sizes, she doesn't like her abdomen being 'palpated' and she's lost 10% of her weight since they last weighed her (about 3 years ago, since I moved out of and then back to the area). However as my fltmate pointed out, the weight difference he stated was actually not anything like 10% but much less.

Aside from the reaction to her jabs she's been eating well, vomited once in recent memory, and she never seems to drink so must get her hydration from food as the vet said she's not dehydrated. She's not urinating more either, just normal.

On the whole she's full of beans, has a shiny coat and has a healthy appetite, so I have trouble seeing her as having renal disease.

She's due to have her follow up jabs in 3 weeks, do you think I should arrange for her to be tested before or after these?

Poor little dab, she must wonder what I'm trying to do to her!

Thanks so much,
Seren

Elaine
04-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Hmmm, I would probably call another vet and ask thier advice and possibly get a second opinion before going ahead with a blood test, I know it may be stressful for her but a blood test would probably be more stressful.
The reason I say this is because if she doesnt like having her abdomen palpated, it could be possible that the vet has made an error by not being able to feel the kidneys properly.
If the second opinion reckons there is something abnormal they may be able to do the blood test there and then rather than making another appointment. Make sure you ask as many questions as you feel necessary, from what they charge to what they recomend the best course of action would be.
Some vets are not very forthcoming with info unless asked. If at all possible get some one to go with you and take notes of what they say, reason being, if they do diagnose renal difficulties, it helps to know exactly what was said before asking for advice and info and please take note of the blood count if they do one.
Like i said before, if you need anything at all just shout;)

Elaine
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diagnostics/palpation.htm