PDA

View Full Version : Stress?

catrinsparkles
30-08-2008, 10:00 PM
My 12 year old cat Meka has weed in the bedroom twice recently. I know this can be a sign of stress and am going to put a litter tray in there for her to use, but i am not sure if it is stress or not.

She has recently been checked over by the vet, before she weed in the bedroom and was given a clean bill of health.

A little bit of background info.

I got her as a rescue in 2003, 6 months ago we got a puppy which i feel Meka has adapted too resonably well, even if I could not say that she likes the puppy or is the same as before we got the puppy. But she has rubbed up against her a couple of times and will stand still for the pup to sniff her tail sometimes.

We live in a one bedroomed ground floor flat but have made sure that there are areas that Meka can go, which the puppy can't get to e.g. a baby gate by the front door so Meka can come in and out, and get to the aring cupboard, where her food and water are.

She also has the bedroom as her space, and the door is kept on a latch which means it will open wide enough to let her in and out but not the puppy.

I have to pressume it is stress, but Meka also purrs as regularly as she used to, will chose to come into the rooms where the puppy is and chooses to sit on the floor, sofa with the puppy in the room. She will also come into the kitchen when the puppy is there.

I am trying to make sure that she has times when it is just me and her, and she comes to bed with me every night and has a least a half hour cuddle before she goes for an explore outside.

I am aware that she doesn't get to play as much as she used to before the puppy but she does have a cat flap and access to a safe garden.

What do other people think? Is the weeing stress? What else could I do to make life happier for her?

Should i move her food into the bedroom too so she can have more privacy?

yola
30-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi, I think you need to try various solutions to see which, if any will work. It does sound like Meka might be stressed in which case starting with a litter tray in the bedroom might be a good idea, as might additional stimulation by was of toys and things to climb on in and around 'her' areas. Be careful to changing too much in one go - moving her food might be to dramatic. Maybe put an additional bowl of food down rather than removing the original one?

I have a stressy cat who has occasional bouts of pooing and peeing where he shouldn't. The 3rd tray in the bedroom - where he spends most of his time - did the trick with us, as did feliway diffusers elsewhere.

catrinsparkles
30-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi, I think you need to try various solutions to see which, if any will work. It does sound like Meka might be stressed in which case starting with a litter tray in the bedroom might be a good idea, as might additional stimulation by was of toys and things to climb on in and around 'her' areas. Be careful to changing too much in one go - moving her food might be to dramatic. Maybe put an additional bowl of food down rather than removing the original one?

I have a stressy cat who has occasional bouts of pooing and peeing where he shouldn't. The 3rd tray in the bedroom - where he spends most of his time - did the trick with us, as did feliway diffusers elsewhere.

That's a good idea having an additional bowl in the bedroom. Hopefully she won't consider it too close to the litter tray. I could put the litter tray in one corner and the food and water in the other. The bedroom is big enough for a king size bed and room to walk around it so hopefully she won't think it is too close.

She's never been much of a climber but does like cotton buds and balls of paper so could give her those in the bedroom. I think i should also make the effort to put pup in the kitchen and play with Meka in the bedroom ..... she was never a great player, so five minutes would suit her.

She has a huge cat scratching post in the lounge (which leads into the bedroom) and comes out regularly throughout the day to use it whether the pup is there or not!

Seems odd saying pup, Tonks is 8 months and three stone! not much of a pup any more!

dandysmom
31-08-2008, 01:59 AM
The above all sound like good ideas to lower her stress level; and have you considered a Feliway plug-in ?

calismum
31-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Souns stress related. Next time at vet if still doing it I'd ask to get her bloods checked - just in case there is anything else.

I think the solutions offered above sound just right.

Have to ask - what kind of dog is it? Quite heavy for it's age so I assume a big one.

CM

catrinsparkles
31-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello!

Well i put a litter tray in the bedroom today and Meka was so pleased she did a celebratory poo as soon as i had put it down!

I also put some food and water up on a table we have in there. She loved that too. Technically i don't want her on tables but if she is happier with that then i will go with it......until we have a house and then she can have the whole of the upstairs free from Tonks!

Thank you all for you help!

I will consider a plug in thing as well.

Tonks is a staffordshire bull terrierish.....mummy had a little bit of labrador in her so she is a little bit taller than a full stafford.

She is very interested in what is going on in the bedroom but hasn't been let in to have a look. But Meka has been coming out of the bedroom and even sat on the sofa next to Tonks so seems to be happier already. I suppose now she know she has more options when it comes to toileting and eating.

yola
01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
That IS good news :D Possibly she just needs space to call her own that she can retreat to. Hopefully it'll also make her more sociable and tollerant of Tonks overall.

Please let us know if you have continued success . . .

catrinsparkles
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
That IS good news :D Possibly she just needs space to call her own that she can retreat to. Hopefully it'll also make her more sociable and tollerant of Tonks overall.

Please let us know if you have continued success . . .

Yes she is definately coming out of the bedroom more......and enjoyed nibbling away at her food through the night. I'm sure i will get used to the sound and sleep through it.

She had used the litter tray agian today. Unfortunately Tonks ram raided the bedroom door and ate the contents of the litter tray as soon as we got home. Meka just sat on the bed watching Tonks with an expression that said " you are the most disgusting thing i have ever seen!"

dandysmom
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Eeeek! I quite agree with her!

catrinsparkles
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh dear......things not as good as i had thought.

She is definately seeming perkier and is loving having food and water in two places. She has continued to poo in the litter trays, but i have seen no wee in them.

Last night i was reading my book in bed, and Meka was snuggled up next to me, she got down, had a nibble of food and some water, then i heard her weeing, but hadn't heard her moving litter.

She was weeing in the corner on the carpet less that a foot from her litter tray!!!! She was perfectly happy, Tonks was in the kitchen asleep, adn had been in there all evening, the door was shut so she couldn't come out and annoy Meka. Meka has been out the garden and had also been playing with cotton buds with me early, rolling roudn on the lounge floor.

So now i am not sure if it is stress. She looked like she just chose to wee there. Before i had washed the area with non bio washing liquid, but now i have read that it should be biological to get the smell out.

I have bought some oxywash stuff that is supposed to get rid of the smell completely. I have washed the whole of the carpet on that side of the room, but i think it still smells. I have put two litter trays in there now, and even put one right on the spot that i saw her wee on.

Any ideas of what i can do to stop her doing this ? Help!!!!

yola
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, putting the tray in the spot where she peed is a good idea. Alternatively stand something there or put something crinkly, like tin foil down. Make sure you fold the edges over as few times as they can be sharp! My Balie still likes to pee (and poo :evil: ) in a corner of our spare bedroom. I've stood a lamp there which helps to discourage him but the only certain thing is to keep the door shut!

When he was younger he used to pee by the front door. What stopped that was the removal of the carpet (which was on the cards anyway) and leaving a painted wooden floor there for a couple of years which broke the habit and he's left subsequent carpet there alone.

You just have to keep trying different things unti you find something that works. Don't yell at the cat - she's not being spiteful or malicious.

catrinsparkles
05-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, putting the tray in the spot where she peed is a good idea. Alternatively stand something there or put something crinkly, like tin foil down. Make sure you fold the edges over as few times as they can be sharp! My Balie still likes to pee (and poo :evil: ) in a corner of our spare bedroom. I've stood a lamp there which helps to discourage him but the only certain thing is to keep the door shut!

When he was younger he used to pee by the front door. What stopped that was the removal of the carpet (which was on the cards anyway) and leaving a painted wooden floor there for a couple of years which broke the habit and he's left subsequent carpet there alone.

You just have to keep trying different things unti you find something that works. Don't yell at the cat - she's not being spiteful or malicious.

No don't worry i would never yell at her, only ever use positive methods with her and my pup. I didn't do anything last night, i was shocked!!! I got kitchen roll and soaked up as much as i could. Carpet still wet at the moment but i have put the litter tray in the way to try to stop her.

Maybe we will have to pull the carpet up....don't really want to as i want to sell the place next year and it has the same carpet through out, but if the place starts smelling of cat wee i will may have no choice!

meep
05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hear the problem isn't resolved catrinsparkles!

One thing that pops to mind is a urinary tract infection. Cats are very good at disguising pain, and so even if she doesn't seem ill or in pain, she may have something similar to human cystitsis. If so, she'll associate the pain of peeing with peeing in the litter tray, so she'll pee elsewhere instead.

It might be worth taking her to the vet to get some tests done, or maybe calling up vet with your suspicions who might ask you to (somehow) get a urine sample!

I've read previous threads about similar problems where it wasn't a urinary tract infection, but a case of marking their territory through peeing. I can't remember advice given but if you do a search for similar topics or just browse this forum a bit further back you should find it :)

I hope the wee girl, and you, are both ok!

catrinsparkles
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope the wee girl, and you, are both ok!

Wee girl! Haha! That's about right at the moment!

That's an interesting theory. I think i will talk to the vets if it happens again this week.

How do you get a urine sample from a cat!! It's hard enough to get one from a dog! Luckily Meka doesn't seem bothered if you walk in on her mid pee or poo and just carries on regardless.

meep
05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Haha sorry, I didn't realise the pun! My scottish lingo coming out!

I honestly don't know how you get a pee sample! I've just heard that other members do so. It may not be needed, but it's good to know she doesn't stop if you walk in...

To be honest, it is a very common sign of a urinary tract infection if cats stop using the litter tray, quite normal. But calling the vet is always a good first port of call :)

Kay
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I would consider taking her to the vet for a blood test. She could possible have an infection such as cistitis or a problem with her kidneys, possibly due to age. She doesn't sound like she is overly stressed about Tonks to me in fact I would say the opposite. I thin she has adapted extremely well and you have helped this with your sensible approach.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

catrinsparkles
05-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I would consider taking her to the vet for a blood test. She could possible have an infection such as cistitis or a problem with her kidneys, possibly due to age. She doesn't sound like she is overly stressed about Tonks to me in fact I would say the opposite. I thin she has adapted extremely well and you have helped this with your sensible approach.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Thank you. I tried really hard as i didn't want getting a dog to be a problem for Meka. I know that she would rather Tonks didn't live here, but, i think she has adjusted quite well. She will be in the same room as her, on the same sofa, and both sit on the bed together on a sunday morning (although i have stopped letting Tonks in the bedroom now), but i can't ever see them snuggling up together like some dogs and cats do!

I will speak to the vets next week and let you know.

Kay
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Fingers crossed.

calismum
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Are you feeding her near the litter trays?

catrinsparkles
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Are you feeding her near the litter trays?

Her food was originally in the airing cupboard, and the litter trays are now in the bedroom.

I have put some food and water in the bedroom too and she is enjoying eating in there too. The litter trays are on the floor on one side of the bedroom and the food is on the other side, on a table. I pressume she doesn't mind them being there are she is eating from them and also pooing in the litter trays.

No wees in the litter trays yet, but no wees on the floor either, that i can see!

Have cleaned it all and spread foil all over where she was going. Have also put another litter tray where i saw her wee.

Will speak to the vet next week and keep you all posted.

catrinsparkles
08-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Another update!

No more wees on the floor and three wees in the litter trays!

Fingers crossed!

I am going to leave the foil on the floor for a while so she doesn't have the opportunity to go on the floor, and hopefully this will break the habbit!

calismum
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Hurrah!!!!

Finger and toes crossed.

CM

Mags
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Good news!! :D

catrinsparkles
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Hurrah!!!!

Finger and toes crossed.

CM

Oh yes, please keep everything possible crossed!

dandysmom
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Everything crossed here but my eyes!