PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my cat for two weeks

pleasehelp
29-08-2008, 03:50 PM
hiya guys, its me again - remember? I found a little stray last year and adopted him

it was the best thing I ever did - I called him Frankie - he is hilarious. Never stops talking - has a different tone of voice depending on what he wants. The one I like best is the real pitiful sorrowful one if I don't play with him when he wants - the pitch gets higher and higher until it nearly brings tears to your eyes. He is hilarious.

Anyway, I am going away for two weeks - Frankie is both an indoor and outdoor cat - he can take off overnight sometimes but always makes appearances for his food and for cuddles and stays in sometimes when it rains.
:(
I am going to leave him by himself with the kitchen window open and the shed open. My neighbour will come in each evening to feed and water Frankie and make sure he is okay. He will have a bed in the shed and another bed in the kitchen. He does have a friend who I call (whitey bulger - a lovely white cat), who visits nearly every day and they play in the garden. However whitey bulger is the only cat that he lets into the garden - everyone else is a no-no.

Do you think that Frankie will be okay for the two weeks. Any suggestions. I would hate to come home and find he left us.

angieh
29-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm afraid that will be a risk, especially as he was a stray. You have made arrangements for him to be fed by your neighbour, so that's an incentive for him to come back to eat - you could leave a couple of tee shirts with your "smell" on them in each of his beds. That's really all I can think of.

I do hope all goes well.

kado
29-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I agree with Angeih. I hope it he will come back he sounds that he likes it with you. I also hope it goes well

dandysmom
29-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd worry about that also. Is there any chance of a friend housesitting? Or perhaps a cattery?

calismum
29-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Agree with what said above. Emphasis on leaving something personal with your scent on it. Is he quite familiar with the neighbour? Maybe need to make sure a new person won't worry him. Also is he used to coming and going thru' the window? If not I'd start that as his only means in and out right away.

Do hope it works out ok.

CM

meep
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
When I was a kid, we used to leave our cats by themselves for a week if we went on holiday; we had someone come and feed them twice a day. They were indoor / outdoor cats, and were always quite independent, but they never disappeared or didn't come back. When we came home after a week they looked at us a bit funny like 'who are you again?' but soon warmed to us!

I think when we went away for two weeks we put them into a cattery. But can't remember. Your cat sounds very independent but also sounds like he loves human company. Can your friend who feeds him also play with him for half an hour a day? I think if I had to leave my two alone the thing that would get to them the most is lack of play-time and human company.

Good luck!

pleasehelp
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks guys

He is very familiar with the area and knows all the neighbours. I left him last November for two weeks with only the shed left ajar and neighbours coming in to feed him and he was waiting for us when we came home.

He has friends, walks into the neighbours house - the kids play with him up the street.

I am going to leave the kitchen window open and have his feed inside the kitchen, but will also put a bed in the shed for him.

I just hope no other cats will follow him in and fight him for territory. He's well able to fight his corner tho.

we have him coming in and going out the window at the moment, but he still prefers the doors LOL - have another couple of weeks so should be okay.

Mags
01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Just a thought - are you sure it's safe to leave a kitchen window open when you go away for two weeks? :? An open downstairs window can be a great temptation to some undesirables....:?

calismum
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Good thought Mags - please make sure the house is safe!

dandysmom
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Whoops, I missed that one completely! Good observation, Mags! Open invitation to burglars ......