PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Thatcher

Kazz
28-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the fact her daughter Carol Thatcher has written a book and spoken of her mothers altzheimer's/dementia.....Is it wrong or is it right. I think she as right as by publicising it/speaking of it in public this case a book as it brings the condition into the light out of the shadows....the more we speak of it the more we come to "understand" the strain that accompanies it to their loved ones..... the ones who care for them.Agree or not?

yola
28-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't have any problem with this being discussed in a book. I'm sure Carol Thatcher would have received her mother's permission to discuss this openly and if she said it's OK then that is all that matters.

It IS good to bring issues of the elderly out into the open as they often suffer from conditions that are chronically underfunded in terms of research and lots of misconceptions about them abound.

angieh
28-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree that it's right and proper to discuss this horrible condition that seemingly is on the increase. It can strike anyone. My MIL by virtue of her age (87) is senile but does not have Alzheimer's, which if I understand it correctly is pre-senile dementia - any insight/help this book may provide is welcome IMO.

dandysmom
28-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have no problems with it. President Reagan's descent into Alzheimers was well documented, and it does bring the awful disease more to public awareness, hopefully increasing funding for research.

alexgirl73
28-08-2008, 08:07 PM
As my gran is suffering from this horrible condition, I full know the suffering it causes to those afflicted and their families. I'm all for it being brought into the public eye by any means possible, in the hope that it attracts more funding for research.

Kim
28-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Dementia or Alzheimers are terrible conditions and the more that is known about them the better. I wasn't aware that Margaret Thatcher had Alzheimers though.

I used to work in a day centre with clients with these conditions, it really was heartbreaking and very hard work, I don't know how families cope. :(

Angie, you are nearly right! Senile means old age and exhibiting a loss of cognitive abilities, due to old age. Dementia is is the progressive decline in cognitive function, due to damge or disease of the brain, beyond what would be expected from normal ageing, and the 2 most common causes of degenerative (non-reversible) dementia are Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia (loss of brain function due to a series of small strokes).

Not showing off, but I remember learning this when I worked in the Day Centre, as it formed part of my training. ;)

calismum
28-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I think that it is a good thing that people in the media spotlight help to raise awareness of diseases etc. that would benefit from funding/volunteers/research etc.

Terry Pratchett was on breakfast tv a few months ago, he has been diagnosed with dementia and it was so sad to hear him talk because he still has insight to his condition. He was giving lots of examples of how it already is affecting his life.

The positive side of the apearances he has been doing is the increase in donations for research.

So I guess my view is that, if it is done sensitively and not for personal gain then I have no problem with Carol T writing a book about her mothers illness. Many people will buy the book because of who the subject is.

CathyW
03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
my step mother had Alzheimers. its a wicked condition. mum just didnt understand what was happening to her. she kept escaping from her residential home, when her and her friend was brought back by the police. they where telling passerbys that they where out jogging.
my dad had no choice to have some one else look after her. he was 10 yrs older than her.
she went down hill with in 3 yrs. i used to go to the home every sat. used to take her milky bar. she loved it.
my MIL has had tests, shes 6 points below the level (what ever that means) she gets forgetfull. but as i say to her its not altszeimers as she knows theres some thing wrong.
as for carol thatcher and her book. why not, if it will help others who are caring for a elderly person with the condition. well i wish i had some info when my step mum was ill.

Darky
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
My Mother is trained in caring for people with Dementia and works on the Dementia and Alzheimers side of a care home, so I've learnt quite a lot about it in the past year or so.

I definitely think that it should be more widely known about, for it can effect so many people and it is truly devastating.