PDA

View Full Version : How many in rescues.

farthing
27-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody knows how many cats are in rescues. I know that there are over 30,000 rabbits in rescues and realised I didn't have a clue as to how many cats. Anybody with any information?

Moli
27-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Think Smudgley would be the best one to answer this.....

Mags
27-08-2008, 08:58 PM
What a good question!

I have no idea how many cats there are in recues but here's a directory of Rescues in the UK and by the length of the list, I dread to think how many there are..:(

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/cats.html

pinklizzy
27-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Battersea has room for over 100 cats and most pens are usually full :(

alexgirl73
27-08-2008, 09:47 PM
well CP alone rehomes around 55,000 cats a year over the country!!

kado
28-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Alone in hull this summer 58 healthy kittens where pts. I was horrified,

angieh
28-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh kado - that's very upsetting.

kado
28-08-2008, 04:41 PM
My local shoppkeeper told me about it knowning how i feel about cats. It was the rspca that did it. There inspectors even had to foster kittens in there own homes as well.

jane

dandysmom
28-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Whatever the number is, it's far too many! When, oh when will people get the message to spay and neuter.... :(

calismum
28-08-2008, 10:18 PM
There are so many ignorant people out there.

My new kitten will be female. She is only 6 weeks old and two people have already asked me if I'll be letting her have a litter!

What amazed me was the responses I got when I said no.
1 - Why not, it costs £100 to buy a moggy, look at the money you could make!!
2 - "It's people like you who have caused a huge shortage of kittens"

Can you believe it.

CM

alexgirl73
28-08-2008, 10:24 PM
There are so many ignorant people out there.

My new kitten will be female. She is only 6 weeks old and two people have already asked me if I'll be letting her have a litter!

What amazed me was the responses I got when I said no.
1 - Why not, it costs £100 to buy a moggy, look at the money you could make!!
2 - "It's people like you who have caused a huge shortage of kittens"

Can you believe it.

CM

Oh I can quite believe it:twisted: There are still so many ignorant people out there who think it is 'inhumane' to spey a female cat before she has kittens:roll:

RSPCA are too quick to put kittens and cats down, which is one of the reasons I have no time for them Jane. In our branch this year we have only had to put 3 cats to sleep, due to extreme illness, not one kitten has been pts.

calismum
28-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh I can quite believe it:twisted: There are still so many ignorant people out there who think it is 'inhumane' to spey a female cat before she has kittens:roll:

Yes, thats why my new kittens mum has had 4 litters and she's only 4 years old. Thank goodness my friends mum took her in and persuaded her owner to give her up.

Luckily now she has been speyed and local CP will find her a new home.

dandysmom
28-08-2008, 10:55 PM
CM, those responses boggle the mind! How very very sad .....

calismum
28-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Just. I was speechless (well almost). I mean, apart from my first cat and the tiny kitten he brought home all my other cats have been rescues of one sort of another - and, I have never had to look very hard for them. In fact when I think about it most have found me. So how can people possibly think there is a shortage or just think about how much money can be made.

Sometimes I just get so disapointed in people