PDA

View Full Version : Do cats feel sympathy?

Rosie
27-08-2008, 02:30 PM
NO they don't!:)

My poor Holly dog was very sick over the weekend with a gastric virtus. As she improved slightly I tried feeding her on chicken and bits of other meats to try and get her appetite going.

Rosie and Alfie just sat their waiting/hoping she couldn't manage it so they could scavange leftovers. I also have to remove her bowl from the floor at mealtimes because if she doesn't eat everything they will finish it off (cats like dog food just as much as dogs love cat food).

It used to be the other way round Holly would try and steal their food!

angieh
27-08-2008, 02:33 PM
They are all really opportunists at heart Rosie! Hope Holly is much better soon.

meep
27-08-2008, 02:59 PM
hehehe that's a very cute story of Rosie and Alfie, but sorry to hear about your wee pup. Hope he's better soon.

Maybe cats dont feel sympathy toward other animals, especially when food is involved (!) but i think they are very sensitive to emotions. One night me and OH had a fight (they are very rare) and I went through to bedroom and lay on the bed crying. Darcy walked through a bit tentatively, and jumped up beside me, curled up in the crook of my stomach / lap (I was lying on my side) and started purring.

maybe he was just being affectionate and selflishly looking for attention at a coincidental time, but it was very comforting and made me feel a bit better. (me and OH made up very soon after too :) )

dandysmom
27-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree they can and do sense our feelings; many times I've been comforted by a cat when I was either ill or feeling very down. I really don't think it's coincidental.