PDA

View Full Version : Beauty's weight

Phoenix
25-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll be weighing her tomorrow, but last time I weighed her she was 2kg. Is that about the right weight for her size?

(Reason for asking is when she first came to us she was certaintly underweight, practically a skeleton! :cry: and I don't want that to be repeated)

dandysmom
25-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Patches, my tortie, was always a rather skinny cat although she ate well. I could never fatten her up a bit, she only weighed 8 1/2 pounds. I don't know metric, not sure what that is in kgs.....

Phoenix
25-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Patches, my tortie, was always a rather skinny cat although she ate well. I could never fatten her up a bit, she only weighed 8 1/2 pounds. I don't know metric, not sure what that is in kgs.....

I weighed her in kgs because it was a choice of that or stones, also the prescription food said the weight in kgs.

Mags
25-08-2008, 09:09 PM

8.7lbs is 3.9kg, Eileen :)

dandysmom
25-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Mags! Beauty does sound a bit light; but she looks like a small cat in her pics....

meep
26-08-2008, 09:34 AM
To be honest, as long as her weight is maintained and she's got energy etc. then it should be ok. I'm aware that she has other medical compliations, but if when the vet last weighed her and he was happy at her being at that weight, as long as she maintains it she should be ok. She does look like a petite wee girl :)

Elaine
26-08-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-media/images/modules/advice/Cat_weights.pdf

Sounds really under weight to me. Did the vet make any comment about her weight? I know it can be very difficult to get CRF cats to eat and maintain a healthy weight, so I am in no way criticising.
Is she getting any other meds other than the prescription diet? Can i ask again what her latest blood values are?
How is she in herself?

meep
26-08-2008, 09:47 AM
According to that link, my two aren't even overweight they're obese :shock: But that's if their moggies. If they're 'Bengal' (which I'm now largely convinced they have a large amount of in their genes) they're normal weight.

I would agree with Mags though; seek a vets opinion, especially with Beauty's CRF.

Elaine
26-08-2008, 09:53 AM
According to that link, my two aren't even overweight they're obese :shock: But that's if their moggies. If they're 'Bengal' (which I'm not largely convinced they have a large amount of in their genes) they're normal weight.

I would agree with Mags though; seek a vets opinion, especially with Beauty's CRF.

My Eva too:lol:
It is a bit general but 2 kilos does sound very light for an adult cat, the biggest concern being that she is CRF.
I would definately be calling the vet for advice and info as well as finding out more about CRF.

meep
26-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I just worked it out there, 2 kilos is 4 pounds :shock: That is very very light. My wee girl, Chaska, had CRF and was a 'runt' of her litter (much smaller than Beauty all over) but I think she at the least weighed 4 pounds.

I would take her to the vet RCR :) It's the best way to get a sure answer.

yola
26-08-2008, 10:41 AM
2KG? That does sound exceptionally light! My Darcy who was a tiny little thing weighed just over 3KG and he was light as a feather even though he ate like a horse!

I know CRF can cause dramatic weight loss, but I would also recommend a vet re-check as Beauty seems very underweight. Has there been an overall downward trend in her weight or has she been stable at 2KG for some time?

Phoenix
26-08-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-media/images/modules/advice/Cat_weights.pdf

Sounds really under weight to me. Did the vet make any comment about her weight? I know it can be very difficult to get CRF cats to eat and maintain a healthy weight, so I am in no way criticising.
Is she getting any other meds other than the prescription diet? Can i ask again what her latest blood values are?
How is she in herself?

She WAS having the Katalax, but we've stopped giving it to her, grooming her really well instead. She won't take the Katalax now so we can't get it in her I think she's bored with it now)

She's purr-fectly her normal self, but a little more lazy in herself (there again her arthritis gets really bad sometimes so she can't get up stairs any more - she either half drags herself upstairs or I carry her up)

2KG? That does sound exceptionally light! My Darcy who was a tiny little thing weighed just over 3KG and he was light as a feather even though he ate like a horse!

I know CRF can cause dramatic weight loss, but I would also recommend a vet re-check as Beauty seems very underweight. Has there been an overall downward trend in her weight or has she been stable at 2KG for some time?

Well, her just having her prescription food makes her weight going down a little, so we are supplementing her diet with senior food (wet and dry, what she will eat), chicken, turkey and tuna.

The vet didn't say anything, we told him what she weighs (weighed her at home)

Mags
26-08-2008, 06:10 PM
You mentioned yesterday that you were weighing Beauty today, what was today's reading? :?

Phoenix
26-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Going to weigh her now ...

Phoenix
26-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Just weighed her, but either the scales are wrong or she's lost weight - it came up as 1kg this time? :?

(well, 4kg but the cage we weighed her in weighs 3kg - 4 - 3 = 1)

calismum
26-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I've never had a cat where I've had to worry about their weight so I'm sure it must be a real worry for you.

I usually go by the covering over their ribs. If I have to poke - too fat, if I can feel every bump then too thin. Not sure how best to put weight on them tho'. Are one of the science diets perhaps for weight gain?

I do hope all is well and you can get in improvement in the weight. Would your vet not have said if he thought it was an issue?

CM

Mags
26-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Just weighed her, but either the scales are wrong or she's lost weight - it came up as 1kg this time? :?

(well, 4kg but the cage we weighed her in weighs 3kg - 4 - 3 = 1)
I really think you should get your vet to weigh her, it is worrying if she has lost more weight..:?

dandysmom
26-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I've never had a cat where I've had to worry about their weight so I'm sure it must be a real worry for you.

I usually go by the covering over their ribs. If I have to poke - too fat, if I can feel every bump then too thin. Not sure how best to put weight on them tho'. Are one of the science diets perhaps for weight gain?

I do hope all is well and you can get in improvement in the weight. Would your vet not have said if he thought it was an issue?

CM

Leia has ribs????? :shock: :-D

calismum
26-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Leia has ribs????? :shock: :-D

LOL - Well, I'm sure she must have! Perhaps she keeps them hidden from you?

CM

dandysmom
26-08-2008, 08:39 PM
LOL - Well, I'm sure she must have! Perhaps she keeps them hidden from you?

CM

:-D I remember she did have some many years ago; have not felt them lately....a well padded puss!! 14 pounds .....

Elaine
26-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.
Can I ask again what her last blood values are/were?

lethargy should not be over looked when a cat has compromised organs or any other illness.
She may well have other things going on as the CRF, such as anemia, dehydration, both of which are life threatening and need to be treated.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?

Elaine
26-08-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#weight_loss
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm

http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

meep
27-08-2008, 09:39 AM
:-D I remember she did have some many years ago; have not felt them lately....a well padded puss!! 14 pounds .....

Exactly the same as my Minsky ;) And Darcy's one pound lighter, to be honest I can see the different between the two of them but I think Minsky is just of a stalkier build :roll:

I agree with Elaine, and all others, who have voiced concern. I've nevr heard of an adult cat weighing 1 kg. The vet may have overlooked it, and in previous threads we have discussed the pros and cons of vets; but I would take her back and insist they weigh her on their scales (much more accurate, just as the doctors are) and look into the reason behind her low weight.

My wee one, Chaska, had CRF and when she was diagnosed I looked up a lot about it. CRF can lead to other problems such an anemia due to the build up of toxins in the cats system, as the kidneys can't flush them all away. So the lethargy thing would also be a warning bell in my head.

Also I've alwys been told that cats hide pain and injury very well, and often don't show signs of being ill or uncomfortable a good while into developing whatever they have. A routine vet check can do no harm, but not having one may do the opposite...

Good luck RCR! Let us know how she gets on:)

Phoenix
27-08-2008, 07:09 PM
There doesn't appear to be a problem with her appetite at all (judging by the fact she'll have breakfast twice, then have lunch, then dinner twice sometimes, then supper, then she'll want a bedtime treat (which she gets) and she has a little food down for if she gets hungry before breakfast time.

I've just weighed her again, and it looks like the scales were "off" yesterday (not quite on zero). It came up as 2 and a half kg today (taking off the weight of the cage)

Mags
27-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Just a thought RCR, when was she last wormed? :?

Phoenix
27-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Just a thought RCR, when was she last wormed? :?

We wormed her earlier this month. (the second I think)

Mags
27-08-2008, 08:34 PM
There doesn't appear to be a problem with her appetite at all (judging by the fact she'll have breakfast twice, then have lunch, then dinner twice sometimes, then supper, then she'll want a bedtime treat (which she gets) and she has a little food down for if she gets hungry before breakfast time.

I've just weighed her again, and it looks like the scales were "off" yesterday (not quite on zero). It came up as 2 and a half kg today (taking off the weight of the cage)

Ok, we can rule out worms if she was wormed this month. She is certainly eating plenty but for some reason she's not putting on weight.:?

Can I suggest you take her to you vet's practice and ask the vet nurse to weigh her on the proper pet scales....... that would be more accurate than the way you are weighing her at the moment.

Elaine
27-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.

lethargy should not be over looked when a cat has compromised organs or any other illness.
She may well have other things going on as the CRF, such as anemia, dehydration, both of which are life threatening and need to be treated.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?

reposted;)
Why do you keep ignoring me? Have i upset you? I have only ever wanted to help you understand the whole CRf thing in order for you to help Beauty.

Moli
27-08-2008, 10:19 PM
[quote=Elaine;502053]I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?[/quote

Very sound advice Elaine...:)

meep
28-08-2008, 02:50 PM
RCR, it is good to know that Beauty may be 2kg and not 1kg, but 2kg is still very light. You created this thread and posted about Beauty's weight in the first place, as you were showing concern at her very light weight. There have been very many good recommedations, the main one being seek a vet's advice (and insist they consider her weight rather than just bypass it), and then you insist she's ok as the scales were wrong and she's now 2.5kg. I don't at all mean to sound harsh, it's very hard to convey a tone of voice through text! But the reason you created this thread is because you were concerned about Beauty's weight, so perhaps you know yourself that you should be taking her to the vets?

My wee one, Chaska, was eating all her prescription meals and had a healthy apetitite but never put weight back on after she lost it. She went downhill very quickly with CRF, but it sounds like Beauty has general good health at the moment and could do for a while yet, so I would really strongly recommend taking her to the vets and getting looked at, as when CRF suddenly increases its effect on the cat, as it did with Chaska, it can happen very quickly and can be very upsetting to see.

dandysmom
28-08-2008, 04:12 PM
RCR, I do agree with the others that a visit to the vet is in order, if only to ease your mind.

Phoenix
28-08-2008, 07:36 PM
reposted;)
Why do you keep ignoring me? Have i upset you? I have only ever wanted to help you understand the whole CRf thing in order for you to help Beauty.

I'm not ignoring you!

I don't really know her blood values!

I'll phone the vets tomorrow to get an appointment for Beauty to have her weighed. I don't know when the appointment will be, because the vets here does get quite busy (there's two vets here, one has a bad reputation so unless I can't manage any other way I won't be using the other vets)

yola
28-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I do think another vet visit might be best; they don't seem to be keeping you very well informed about Beauty's condition. Also the fact that they don't seem over-concerned about her weight does worry me a bit.

Are you able to descretly seek a 2nd opinion just to put your own mind at ease? She should be having regular blood tests to make sure she is stable.

Phoenix
28-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I do think another vet visit might be best; they don't seem to be keeping you very well informed about Beauty's condition. Also the fact that they don't seem over-concerned about her weight does worry me a bit.

Are you able to descretly seek a 2nd opinion just to put your own mind at ease? She should be having regular blood tests to make sure she is stable.

Like I said, I'm reluctant to use the other vets for a second opinion, they have a really bad reputation!

To get a second opinion I'd have to either take Beauty to the vets with the bad reputation OR take her to a vets a few miles away (which would stress her out)

Elaine
28-08-2008, 09:29 PM
What about calling the other vet and sounding them out for yourself, ask how knowledgable they are on CRF cats and what treatments can you expect from them etc.
On another note, it is quite a good idea to take note or ask for copies of the blood values as and when they are done. This way you can keep an eye on how the CRF is progressing.
I would also be questioning current vet on the various treatments available for Beauty and what would be suitable for her.
Extra B vitamins are very good for CRf cats, these can do no harm as they are water soluble, so any excess will simply be flushed from her system as excess waste.

calismum
28-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I found this website v helpful when I went through trying to live with a CRF cat.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

CM

Elaine
28-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I found this website v helpful when I went through trying to live with a CRF cat.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

CM

An excellent site, it was more like a bible for me when i was caring for Winston and I still refer to it now.

yola
28-08-2008, 10:34 PM
RCR - you have received some excellent advice here from people who have experienced what you are going through first hand. I've not had a CRF cat, only an FIV one. But a good friend had an elderly CRF cat an she knew in minute detail his blood levels, weight, what he did and didn't eat, how much he slept etc etc.

The ball is in your court; you can seek a 2nd opinion from a 'bad' vet. What makes them so bad? If they were so awful surely they would no longer be trading?

Or, if they really are not worth considering maybe a brief bout of stress for Beauty would be worth it to make the trip to a reputable vet in order to get some kind of definitive diagnosis. Because it sounds to me that your vet is either not bothered enough to investigate her condition fully or they are not keeping you, as her owner, fully informed of all their findings. Either action/inaction is not good enough.

I think you must take control over what is happening with Beauty. You are the closest one to her and you need to arm yourself with as much information in order to help her, as is possible. You must politely insist that the vet carries out the relevant blood tests AND shares the findings with you. If they refuse to do so then I'd suggest they are the bad vet and you should try another.

Phoenix
29-08-2008, 07:10 PM
RCR - you have received some excellent advice here from people who have experienced what you are going through first hand. I've not had a CRF cat, only an FIV one. But a good friend had an elderly CRF cat an she knew in minute detail his blood levels, weight, what he did and didn't eat, how much he slept etc etc.

The ball is in your court; you can seek a 2nd opinion from a 'bad' vet. What makes them so bad? If they were so awful surely they would no longer be trading?

Or, if they really are not worth considering maybe a brief bout of stress for Beauty would be worth it to make the trip to a reputable vet in order to get some kind of definitive diagnosis. Because it sounds to me that your vet is either not bothered enough to investigate her condition fully or they are not keeping you, as her owner, fully informed of all their findings. Either action/inaction is not good enough.

I think you must take control over what is happening with Beauty. You are the closest one to her and you need to arm yourself with as much information in order to help her, as is possible. You must politely insist that the vet carries out the relevant blood tests AND shares the findings with you. If they refuse to do so then I'd suggest they are the bad vet and you should try another.

The other vet is "bad" according to people who have had dealings with him because apparently they mis-diagose things, e.g. someone I know took a cat in, (can't go into details) but that vet diagnosed one thing, took him for a second opinion and the other et said it was something completely different!
Other person took their rabbit in when rabbit wasn't eating, the "bad" vet trimmed rabbits teeth back, but that made things worse and rabbit died!

When Beauty goes in next I'll ask for a copy of all their findings and I'll leep you all informed.

Phoenix
29-08-2008, 07:12 PM
What about calling the other vet and sounding them out for yourself, ask how knowledgable they are on CRF cats and what treatments can you expect from them etc.
On another note, it is quite a good idea to take note or ask for copies of the blood values as and when they are done. This way you can keep an eye on how the CRF is progressing.
I would also be questioning current vet on the various treatments available for Beauty and what would be suitable for her.
Extra B vitamins are very good for CRf cats, these can do no harm as they are water soluble, so any excess will simply be flushed from her system as excess waste.

If she'll take them! We've tried adding things to her food (e.g. vet advised cod liver oil for her arthritis) but anything added to her food she won't touch!

Thanks for the advice though! :)

Elaine
29-08-2008, 07:18 PM
So when next is she going to the vets? Have you made an appointment to talk about her weight etc?
With out wanting to sound cheeky, you really do need to be more pro active about Beauties CRF. Its all fine and well seeking advice and info on cat forums but it serves no purpose for Beauty if you dont follow these things up with a vet.

Phoenix
29-08-2008, 07:20 PM
So when next is she going to the vets? Have you made an appointment to talk about her weight etc?
With out wanting to sound cheeky, you really do need to be more pro active about Beauties CRF. Its all fine and well seeking advice and info on cat forums but it serves no purpose for Beauty if you dont follow these things up with a vet.

I've got her an appointment for Monday.