PDA

View Full Version : Wasp Sting

diskinc
23-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I think Lily has been swatting wasps and gotten stung on her foot.

Earlier this morning I saw her running about doing her usual fly chasing and then a few minutes later she was holding up her left paw. She is now walking fine on it but it has swollen up quite a bit.

The vets are now closed for the weekend. Do you think I should see how she gets on as the swelling should go down naturally or take her to the emergency vets? She was at the vet last night and had a long lasting antibiotic for some sneezing so that should see off any infection.

angieh
23-08-2008, 02:56 PM
A tricky one discinc! Personally, I would probably phone the emergency vet and ask for advice - seeing that Lily has just had an antibiotic, he/she may advise that it is safe just to keep an eye on her, especially if she is actually walking on her foot.

dandysmom
23-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Probably wise to check with the vet, but I wouldn't worry too much. I've never heard of a bee/wasp sting getting infected. Painful, yes, but as she didn't go into anaphylactic shock, should be fine. Mine got stung occasionally and nothing more than swelling and tenderness.

Steph
23-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Any problems would have shown up by the time I am posting this-so fingers crosed.

A salt water bathe of the stung area would do no harm

calismum
23-08-2008, 10:26 PM
when my dog got stung vet said try some piriton.

diskinc
24-08-2008, 11:50 AM
The good news is that the swelling has gone down and she is walking normally. The bad news is that i don't think she's learnt her lesson :-(

angieh
24-08-2008, 12:01 PM
That's really good news diskinc. Do cats ever learn what's not good for them? A buzzy insect is far too tempting.

dandysmom
24-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Sultan learned; so did Su-ling! Regular flies good, buzzing things BAD!

Steph
24-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Now it`s over I can post one of my fears-A cat swallowing a bee/wasp.

I know the rules-ice into the throat to reduce swelling and off to the vet asap.

But that`s easier said than done with a cat starting to choke and scared

angieh
24-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Has that happened to you Steph?

diskinc
25-08-2008, 12:38 PM
That is my real fear as well, especially if it happens when you aren't in to get immediate care. :-(