PDA

View Full Version : Oral medicine (kaogel)

waffles
23-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi there!

I've been given Kaogel by my vet to give to Sooty and Tab. Tab is generally pretty good about taking it, but Sooty is an absolute nightmare. We have to squirt it into her mouth with a syringe, and she growls, hisses, bites, scratches, attacks the syringe... XD She gets really, really annoyed at my mum and I when we try to give it to her.

Does anyone know if we can mix this stuff with food to make it easier to get down her throat? Or do you have any tips for making the whole process easier? :)

Thanks!

Grete
23-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Not familiar with the product but depending on the amount, could you put it on a paw? They will usually lick it off if it's any way palatable.

As for on food, I have no idea but it might be a better option than repeated stress of syringing it into the mouth or would it be rendered ineffective?

Hope you get it resolved :)

calismum
23-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Perhaps your vet would advise if it is ok to mix with food. If not I'd try it on a paw as suggested above.

waffles
23-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried squirting a bit on her paw, and she completely ignored it. Then I tried a little bit on some tuna, and she ignored that as well. I guess I'll have to continue battling with her to get it down her throat. D:

kado
24-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Have you tried wrapping her up tight in a towel. I have to give some medicine to a friends cat a couple of times and as i was by myself its the only way i could do it. At the moment i have too give guinness 2 capusels a day which he is not very happy about. He is so huge he cant fight it either its just getting him to swallow it that what he doesnt like doing.

jane