PDA

View Full Version : Litter Training

calismum
21-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Just been told that I'll be getting my kitten when it is just 7weeks old.

Big long story but mum hasn't been able to litter train them and the chances are she won't be trained when she comes to me.

At the moment Alfie has a tray in the hall.

Question, do I buy a number of small litter trays and place them around the house, do I try to guide her to the one big tray?

It would be hard to try and confine her to one room as the kids just never shut doors behind them reliably.

Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

CM

calismum
23-08-2008, 08:49 AM
No one got any experience of this problem? :( I thought perhaps some of the multi cat owners or folks that have bred a litter might have some hints and tips.:)

Thanks

kitty cat
23-08-2008, 10:31 AM
hi calismum i found that one litter tray in the livingroom worked put him in it after he ate and then he done his buisness never had to show him again only reason it was in the living room was so i could keep an eye on it as my dogs liked to sniff about it

calismum
23-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks Kitty Cat, I think I'll buy a couple of extra trays and have one in the living room and one somewhere else. Then it'll be a case of trying to anticipate when she needs.

All the cats/kittens i've had in the past have been trained but I understand from the person who's looking after mum and babes that mum is not using tray and kittens just eat it!

CM

angieh
23-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I think I have read generally that it's best to have one tray per cat and one extra. When I had 2 cats, they were still young enough to go outside, so I only ever had one big tray in the conservatory during cold weather which seemed to work fine. The cats I have known have never had any trouble with using a litter tray - even when we were having major work done inside the house this time last year and Merlin's tray was moved several times, he always found it.

I think with a kitten, Kitty Cat's advise is fine - just put the kitten in the tray after he/she has eaten and hopefully it will get the idea.

Sad that the mother is not using a tray - is she a feral?

calismum
23-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Summary is that she is a young cat who has had 3 litters one after the other. A work colleagues mother started to feed her as the owner was often out. The cat decided to have the kittens (4) in her house. The woman already has her own cat and dog and has been landed with this cat and kittens who she has had to confine to one room.

Mum is very thin and not using thetray so I don't know if it is becaude of the upset or because she's never used one or what.

Good news is that owner is ok about the local CP taking mum and one kitted to get speyed and homed together. Three kittens found homes.

They need to be given to their new homes this week so will only just be 7 weeks.

They all had fleas and worms etc. So first stop I think will be vet for health check. Just hope Alfie and Cali (my dog)loves her once she arrives.

CM