PDA

View Full Version : cat and kitten fighting

niki71uk
21-08-2008, 07:56 AM
my 2 still aint getting on,they now get physical,with the older one biting and hissing and kicking the younger one

do i stop them or let them get on with it????

the kitten cass is now 5 mnths old

toby the older one is 14yrs

im sure its an attention thing,ive caught them a few times when ive been out n come back,sitting together on the window sill no hassel

any ideas???

calismum
21-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Cats 'fighting' can sound and look much worse than it actually is. It could be a case of him trying to get your attention. Is Toby still fit and healthy? Cass could be trying to become dominant cat?

It sounds like older cat trying to ensure current status is maintained. Maybe younger is not as accepting of that as she should be. Especially as you've caught them being ok together.

If there are no real injuries involved I'd probably leave them to get on with it.

If they are really hurting each other I can't help, any fights I've had have been either pecking order or over food and fortunately have been a lot of noise and grabbing but no puncture or deep scratches.

Hope it works out ok.

jemce
15-11-2008, 11:38 AM
:smt058
There is not much you can really do, it can take your cat days or weeks to accept the new kitten or it would probably never do, it depends on the cat character, there should not be a big age difference between your cat and the new one and that will make it easier, and should not yell at your oldest cat that will make it made and harder to accept the kitten.
Don't worry & try to do good.

Tina
16-11-2008, 01:27 AM
We went through the same thing with our 4 year old cat when we brought home our younger one last summer. We introduced them slowly, over a period of days as suggested, but the older cat still took a strong dislike to the wee one. Eventually, they calmed down a fair bit and now live reasonably peacefully together......though there are still "fights" about every other day or so, either because the wee one is tormenting the older one when she's trying to sleep, or because the older one decides she doesn't like the way the wee onee has looked at her LOL.

As long as kitten isn't actually being injured, I think you need to leave them to get this sorted out themselves. Sounds like the older cat is trying to make sure kitty knows he's boss, and kitty is trying to find a higher status in the pecking order.......she'll eventually stand up to him and show him she can't be bullied and then things should calm down somewhat.

It may also be attention seeking somewhat if you have actually seen them sitting together quietly.......our two rarely ever sit together, and last month was the very first time in the year and a bit since we got the kitten that I actually found them SLEEPING together very close (like 2 feet apart LOL!) on the same bed!

Perserverance.......they'll work it out themselves, just keep an eye open for wounds.

Elaine
16-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I tend to agree with Calismum that if there are no real injuries, let them get on with it. These spats do look and sound so much worse than they perhaps are.
If Bernie so much as chases Eva, you'd think there was a war on with the noise she makes and he hasnt even touched her:shock: :lol: .
My two are around the same age and it took me 6 months to introduce Bernie into the house but we got there.;)

Elvisisboss
16-11-2008, 11:28 AM
oh dear it sounds awful :( well worse than i guess it is! guess it takes time?

hope everything goes well with my cats today!!