PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for the Best, My buddy Big

Chunti
20-08-2008, 04:16 AM
I wanted to start by saying im a 31 year old guy who has never blogged before about anything. I was on google searching for cat recovery after removing a tumor and came across this site. About 12 years ago i had gotten into some trouble and ended up moving in with my mom who i had not spoken to in about 5 years. When i moved in she had two cats named Big and Geets. I was not the hugest fan of cats at the time but still liked them since i do like all animals. Both the cats were pretty skittish around people they did not know and my mom said it would probably take a little while for them to come out. But that very first night i was laying in my bedroom upset about the way my life was going and i saw the door open just a crack and a little head peak through, it was the male cat named Big who was about 5 at the time. He came into the room and looked at me for a bit before he decided to come and lay down by me. I knew right then that me and him were going to be buddies. For a couple of years from that point on i was going through some tough times where it seemed like he was my only friend...whether it was us wrestling around or just hanging out it seemed he understood and was there for me. Fast Fwd to last weekend...I live with my gf now but still have my room at my moms house and still end up staying there a fair amount and going there to see my buddy Big. Hes been getting older and is not as spry as he used to be. On Sunday my mom told me that he was having trouble walking and collapsed a couple of times. She immediately brought him to the emergency Vets office. The vet told her he needed to run some tests and figure out what the problem was. Unfortunately i was away and not able to see him until today which is Tuesday. They ended up finding out that he had a tumor. My mom asked me what i think she should do...the vet said that he could remove it and that Big could possibly prolong his life. At first I did not know if this was going to be too much for him considering hes now 17 years old. I then thought about how much he has done for me and how much my mom cares for him and decided no matter what the cost he deserves a shot to make it through this. So i went to the vet today to give them a check and to see Big. Ive been through many tough and sad times in my life but for some reason this one really has had an affect on me i did not expect. I walked into where they had him resting in a cage...(a nice one, plenty big). He was laying down sleeping tired from the tests and what not im sure. I walked up to him and sat down on the floor letting him know i was there. He immediately looked up at me and with the limited energy he had stood up and came to the front of the cage where i could pet and talk to him. He started purring and i started petting him under his chin which he loves. I told him he was gonna have to be tough and make it through this hard time in his life as he once did for me those years ago. Like i said ive dealt with a lot...including deaths in my family, but for some reason this was one of the saddest feelings i have ever had. He put his paw through the cage on my face...looking at me as if he was saying why am i in here, please take me home. Right then i felt tears run down my face. So i sat there just trying to comfort him telling him it was gonna be ok. After about 15 mins he laid back down and just looked at me. I told him i loved him and to be strong. I eventually had to leave and it was heartbreaking leaving him there all by himself. I cant stop thinking about how he kept looking at me and how there was nothing i could do. He gets his surgery tomorrow and hopefully it all goes well and he comes through it. So anyone reading this, please put good thoughts out there for him, I just want to see my buddy Big again.

yola
20-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi, thank you for telling us your heartbreaking experience. I think it's the fact that you are totally helpless and unable to do anything for Big which is causing you this pain. But hey - you've come to the right place because we have all, to greater or lesser extents experienced some of the pain you are feeling.

I will have everything crossed for your dear cat in the hope that he makes a full recovery and gets to spend many more happy years with you and your Mum.

Darky
20-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I empathise with you a lot - my best feline friend died as a result of an inoperable tumour last year and it was the most painful thing that I have experienced.

I'm so glad that you've had a cat touch your life, it's amazing how they can effect us in so many ways. Your caring for Big is so wonderfully obvious, I hope both him and you the best of luck.

Elaine
20-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Dear lord, that broke my heart:cry:
I wish both you and Big all the very best and will be thinking of him and sending strong healing vibes for a full recovery. xxx
All my love and best wishes.

meep
20-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Chunti, I'm so sorry to hear of your distress at being seperated from Big and his being at the vet's. I do hope he pulls through ok, and the two of you get lots more happy times together. From your post you really tell you love that boy; me and my boys send lots of good wishes and hugs to you both x x

angieh
20-08-2008, 02:32 PM
That's a really heartwarming story Chunti. I am sending "get well" vibes for Big - do so hope the operation goes well. Please let us know how he gets on. (((HUGS))) for you too at this very stressful time.

HappyKatz
20-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you for sharing that story - it was very sweet :) Cats are good companions.
Unlimited get well vibes for your buddy Big - hope his operation goes good & hope he heals quickly... Please keep us all updated on how Big is doing :cat3

angieh
20-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I am really sorry and hope for the best for Big.

(was this originally a duplicate post?)

calismum
20-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Hope it all works out for him.

alexgirl73
20-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Such a moving story. Fingers crossed here and sending lots of healing vibes for Big ((hugs))

Chunti
21-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words and positive thoughts. I think it really made a difference considering Big made it through his surgery. He will still be in the hospital for 3 more days in intensive care but he made it through the hardest part already. I cant wait to go see him tomorrow and cheer him up. Ill keep ya posted on his recovery. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated!

dandysmom
21-08-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm so happy Big came thru his surgery, and hope he's on the road to recovery. Healing vibes coming, please keep us posted! And welcome to the Forum!

PoshPuss
21-08-2008, 08:47 AM
So glad Big made it thru surgery :)
Now sending healing vibes to the Big man,and good wishes to you both.

yola
21-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Continued thoughts of strength for dear Big and hugs to you and yours. Hopefully he'll get better quickly now and be back home soon.

angieh
21-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Good news! Healing vibes aplenty being sent Big's way.

Elaine
21-08-2008, 04:50 PM
So very pleased to read that Big came through his surgery ok. Still keeping him in my thoughts for a speedy recovery xxx
Thanx for keep us posted;)

Moli
21-08-2008, 07:16 PM
So releived to hear Big came through the surgery, He sounds like one very special boy.....Please keep us posted about his recovery....

Chunti
22-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Its Friday and unfortunately Big has taken a turn for the worse. They had to do a second blood transfusion and hes not recovering as quickly as he should be. When i went to see him today he was just lying down and only picked up his head when i first talked to him. He looks like he's just had enough...being in a strange place and having all this stuff done to him. I was supposed to be taking him home tomorrow but thats not gonna happen. If he does not start making a comeback my mom and I decided that we are just gonna bring him home and let him live out the rest of his days in peace. Hes gone through so much and for him not to pull through will be devastating. I tried to tell him that the worst part is over with and hes just gotta find the will to power through this. I really hope Big finds a way to make this happen. All the positive thoughts and healing vibes will be welcome. Thanks y'all, still hoping for the best!

dandysmom
22-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this; praying that he'll rally, get better and come home. What a sad time for you; get well vibes still coming. Do let us know what's happening .........

calismum
22-08-2008, 11:01 PM
fingers and toes crossed for him. Hope he is bit better tomorrow.

yola
22-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I do so hope Big rallies round and finds the strength to get through this. However, being a realist I think you do need to prepare yourself for the fact that being an elderly cat already weakened by illness he may, as you rightly identify, have had enough. I'm wishing with all my heart that's not the case though. Hugs.

farthing
22-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Hope he fights back, and if not you know you did all you could for him, you gave him every chance.

Chunti
24-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi y'all. Last time I talked to ya Big was on the ropes and almost down. Today is Sunday and somehow...someway...he has powered through and is back up! I brought him home today and he already has had a bite to eat which is a good sign. Other than that hes just been resting and chilling out. Im gonna have to bring him back to the vets this week to have some tests just to make sure everything is still going smoothly with his recovery. They have found out that the tumor was cancerous so in a few weeks when he is fully recovered he will have to start chemotherapy. Although this will be rough on him i will make sure im there with him every step of the way. Knowing that his last days will not be in the cage at the vets makes me feel much better. So from this point he is on borrowed time and i am very thankful for that. Im so happy he was not ready to cash his chips in just yet. I wanted to thank all of you that have been so concerned and sending out positive thoughts, I believe it really helped. It amazed me how many people cared about someone they have never met and probably will never meet. I guess this world we call home is not half bad after all and there are still good and caring people out there. Once again i want to say thank you to everyone. From here on out im just gonna enjoy the time i have with him, for however long that is. My buddy Big is one tough son of a gun, haha! Ill keep y'all posted periodically on how hes doing, thanks everyone! :D

Mags
24-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm so pleased to hear that Big has improved and you were able to bring him home today...:D He is very lucky to have someone like you who is devoted to him and who puts his needs first.

Make the most of your time left with him and please keep us updated with his progress.....

Healing and comforting vibes to both of you....

Moli
24-08-2008, 11:37 PM
So pleased to hear Big is home and doing well.....Pleased keep us posted on how he is doing....

dandysmom
24-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh Chunti, what wonderful news that Big rallied and is home with you now! sometimes the answer to prayers is "yes". isn't it? Do keep us posted of his progress. Yes, the support here is wonderful;it helped me so much when I lost my beautiful Patches. Please give him a gentle chin tickle from me, and a purr from Leia ....

yola
25-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Wonderful news!!! I'm delighted to be reading that :D

diskinc
25-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Big, it's amazing how deep they wiggle their way into our hearts :-)

angieh
25-08-2008, 01:42 PM
So glad to hear that you have been able to bring Big home with you - that's the best place for him. Do let us know how he gets on. Healing and comfort vibes to both of you.