PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree Dog programme on BBC

alexgirl73
19-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Did anyone else watch this?:cry:

I was sitting stunned when I realised the extent of the problems within so many breeds of dogs, and how blind many breeders are to these problems. Also extrememly disgusted to hear that puppies who don't have the 'characteristics' of the breed as set down by the KC can be culled:shock: :shock:

I'm now wondering what the state of play is within the pedigree cat world:?

Moli
19-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I watched some of it, and am throughly disgusted as to what breeders will do.....That poor CKC....Its all down to making money again!!!!

calismum
19-08-2008, 10:30 PM
no - in my self preservation fashion I avoided it. I know some of the awful things people will do to dogs just to try and win a rosette or more. I find it hard to understand what people find acceptable. Seen on a programme years ago a breeder who stuck (with superglue) lead weights to the end of sheltie pups ears so they would sit right for the show ring.

Wonder how we would all get on if humans were treated that way - if you're not the right height, hair colour, eye coulour etc then culled or 'left in the kennel'. Anyway, going to stop now , this is in danger of becoming a rant - I just get so angry by it all.

CM

yola
19-08-2008, 10:37 PM
no - in my self preservation fashion I avoided it. I know some of the awful things people will do to dogs just to try and win a rosette or more. I find it hard to understand what people find acceptable. Seen on a programme years ago a breeder who stuck (with superglue) lead weights to the end of sheltie pups ears so they would sit right for the show ring.

Wonder how we would all get on if humans were treated that way - if you're not the right height, hair colour, eye coulour etc then culled or 'left in the kennel'. Anyway, going to stop now , this is in danger of becoming a rant - I just get so angry by it all.

CM

I agree wholeheartedly with your post CM . . . I didn't watch it for the same reasons :( . . .

But to follow on, I do believe that humans are in danger of becoming designated in a similar fashion . . . you either looks beautiful i.e., size 8 - US size zero - artificically tanned with straightened hair and shovel-like french manicures, or you are a non-person!! We are heading towards a crisis which presents an 'attractive' veneer as the acceptable with no room for those that don't conform to it.

alexgirl73
19-08-2008, 10:39 PM
very good point Yola. Scary isn't it? I am definitely a non person lol.

yola
19-08-2008, 10:41 PM
very good point Yola. Scary isn't it? I am definitely a non person lol.

Me too! I still have my goth tendencies at the sad old age of 43 :roll: I'll never fit a stereotype!

calismum
19-08-2008, 10:45 PM
you are so right Yola. And it did give me a laugh.

I am sitting in my kitchen trying to prepare a stew for tomorrow, I have a cat and three dogs trying to will some of it their way, my nails are all different lengths as I've been weeding all evening without gloves, my love of chocolate makes size 8 a distant memory.

Donna
19-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Its disgusting that us humans are putting pedigree animals through their miserable sad lives just so that "we" can have the "perfect looking animal". What about the cost of the health of this "perfect looking animal" ????

We are truly backward. I will NEVER buy a pedigree animal.

alexgirl73
19-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Its disgusting that us humans are putting pedigree animals through their miserable sad lives just so that "we" can have the "perfect looking animal". What about the cost of the health of this "perfect looking animal" ????

We are truly backward. I will NEVER buy a pedigree animal.

So very true!

When you saw that some of these dogs were passing out because of defects, couldn't walk properly, had operations so they could BREATHE :twisted: and this is supposed to be the perfect dog!!! Give me a good old mongrel anyday.

PoshPuss
20-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I just caught the end of the programme and what I saw turned my stomach :( Those poor dogs. Personally I don't find the flat faced dogs attractive and even though Posh is a persian, she has a good amount of 'nose bone' to be able to breath properly. The little peke was obviously in distress, panting and salivating. I noticed that they had to sit him on a cool block to prevent him passing out durng the photo shoot... that can't be right! The attitudes of the breeders said it all, it was the money they were intereted in. Good luck to the ladies who love the CKC dogs so much they exposed this awful problem and want action to prevent cruelty.

Phoenix
20-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I missed the first five minutes, but the whole program shocked me! I'll never get a pedigree ANYTHING, personally! (Not that I don't like pedigree cats, but in my opinion moggies, mongrels etc have as much right to be in loving homes and looked after well as pedigrees!

Going off the point now, so I'll shut up.

angieh
20-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I would always go for mixed breed. Something I remember from biology - hybrid vigour.

To breed for physical characteristics that can cause an animal pain or distress is IMO just pure wickedness.

Phoenix
20-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I would always go for mixed breed. Something I remember from biology - hybrid vigour.

To breed for physical characteristics that can cause an animal pain or distress is IMO just pure wickedness.

:twisted: people who breed just for looks! :shock: :(

fancyabrew
20-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I don’t think pedigree cats suffer to the same extent that dogs do. Cats tend to have lots of variants in colour etc (Brits certainly do) so aren’t as inbred as dogs. Chloe is a Brit, although we actually got her from the RSPCA rescue centre. And I would buy a Brit as they are pretty much the perfect cat, and from what I’ve read don’t really suffer from any genetic problems apart from a slightly higher incidence of gingivitis (which Chloe has) and cardiomyopathy, and are actually quite long living 14 -20

borderdawn
20-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I don’t think pedigree cats suffer to the same extent that dogs do. Cats tend to have lots of variants in colour etc (Brits certainly do) so aren’t as inbred as dogs. Chloe is a Brit, although we actually got her from the RSPCA rescue centre. And I would buy a Brit as they are pretty much the perfect cat, and from what I’ve read don’t really suffer from any genetic problems apart from a slightly higher incidence of gingivitis (which Chloe has) and cardiomyopathy, and are actually quite long living 14 -20
What about the way Siamese/oriental cats have changed? Some people refer to them as "alien" to the normal cat now! (not me personally either!) Scottish folds, Munchkins, cats bred to look like wild cats (Bengals) others bred to look like Tigers (Toygers) I could go on...

fancyabrew
20-08-2008, 06:03 PM
agreed there are some weird ones out there, but they don't suffer as much as dogs

Donna
20-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I think there are a lot of cat problems too if we are talking about pedigree.

MrsH
20-08-2008, 09:07 PM
As many of you know I have recently bought a pedigree puppy. I have done this because I like the breed, its size, its characteristics, its personality and yes, its looks too. I know what size he will grow to, which I couldn't guarantee with a cross-breed.

I was horrified at the poor dogs shown on this programme with their totally avoidable problems due to (mainly) careless breeding, greed and vanity. Some breeders simply close their minds to health problems in their breed and puppy farmers churn out pups by the crateful without paying attention to the health screening tests that are available for many breeds, as well as heavily inbreeding the animals they have in their premises.

DNA tests for some conditions in some breeds are available and caring breeders only breed from individual animals who are clear of these genetic conditions. The breeder of my Morgan has given me photocopies of test results for both his parents and by looking at his pedigree I can see whether or not he is inbred. All breeders and owners should be alert and do their homework well to avoid heartbreak.

Kim
20-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I didn't see the programme, but have heard plenty about it and am thoroughly disgusted at what breeders do to have the 'perfect' dog, with no thought or feeling for the poor dog. I have never agreed with some breeds such as the pug or peke, look as though they have real trouble breathing. I don't think all pedigrees have such problems though.

Yola, your post made me smile - I am definitely a 'non-person'!

borderdawn
20-08-2008, 10:31 PM
agreed there are some weird ones out there, but they don't suffer as much as dogs
I think they do, there are not as many breed of cat, but comparitively speaking they are affected too. There are certain breeds of cat that have been exaggerated to such an extent, that if breeders persist they will be in the same boat as dogs very soon, some already are, with breed specific diseases affecting them.

Kazz
21-08-2008, 06:19 PM
The problem occurs because "mankind" can and does interfere with nature from ...dog/cats/birds/fish.....to the way rivers flow....because we can we will...........with sadly not thought for the "downside"

borderdawn
21-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Yes Kazz I agree. I think in our cats and dogs, the US have an influence and now Europe. Im not saying we dont influence them too, but certainly some Siamese and Persian Cats are so badly exaggerated now than how they used to be, Persians suffering breathing and eye problems are relatively common, owning 2 such Cats, one still, (of a more normal type) its awful to see.

Dogs have taken overseas influence too. Afghans on the continent are dominating UK imports, they are shorter on the leg, have exaggerated hind quarters and their tails are held upright by themselves, despite the standard saying they should be dropped when at ease. its trends and fashions Im afraid.

meep
22-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I've always loved moggies and mutts. When I was little and desperately wanted a dog, the only 'pedigree' dog I wanted was a Border Terrier, because they are such lovely wee darlings and look more 'standard mutt-dog like' than a lot of other pedigrees. All the mutt dogs I've met and known have been incredibly healthy and long-living; not to say that ALL pedigree dogs aren't healthy, but it makes genetic sense to mix up the genes and you'll get a healthier animal.

They don't allow inbreeding in humans by law; so why with animals?

Kazz
22-08-2008, 12:30 PM
There is a family by me who have a bulldog pup.....is about 5 months old now and can hardly walk...in my opinion...and you can actually hear him coming before they turn the corner....I myself love bulldogs, from ones I have met previously but all have been able to walk/run/play/etc without this excessive noise poor lad he can't be happy his eyes tel you he wants to run and play but his body just will not permit it.

borderdawn
22-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I've always loved moggies and mutts. When I was little and desperately wanted a dog, the only 'pedigree' dog I wanted was a Border Terrier, because they are such lovely wee darlings and look more 'standard mutt-dog like' than a lot of other pedigrees. All the mutt dogs I've met and known have been incredibly healthy and long-living; not to say that ALL pedigree dogs aren't healthy, but it makes genetic sense to mix up the genes and you'll get a healthier animal.

They don't allow inbreeding in humans by law; so why with animals?

Mutt like!!!! :shock: :shock: Orey is horrified he "thinks" he is a dude!!! :-D

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7927/img24178pou4.jpg

meep
22-08-2008, 02:49 PM
HE is a TOTAL dude!! What a gorgeous photo!!

Sorry Orey, didn't mean to cause offence. I did infact mean that as a compliment to all border terriers ;) I just mean they look very authentically 'dog like' and aren't all fussy and fancy like toy breeds and such like.

I just love their little fuzzy faces and soft velvet black ears!

angieh
22-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Me too! A friend of mine has one and she is so lovely - getting a bit long in the tooth and grey around the whiskers, but a smashing little dog - who things she's a big dog. She gets on so well with the two cats and mothered them as kits.

borderdawn
22-08-2008, 07:29 PM
HE is a TOTAL dude!! What a gorgeous photo!!

Sorry Orey, didn't mean to cause offence. I did infact mean that as a compliment to all border terriers ;) I just mean they look very authentically 'dog like' and aren't all fussy and fancy like toy breeds and such like.

I just love their little fuzzy faces and soft velvet black ears!
I know what you meant really :D One of the reasons I chose them was their non exaggerated normal dog look.

Thanks for the nice comments, he's embarassed now. :oops: