PDA

View Full Version : Smelly cat!!!!Help

Juli
19-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone, haven't been on for ages, moved house and bt couldn't get their act together regarding broadband!!!!! Any way Echo has a slight problem regarding a very smelly bottom!! It's clean and she's not got runny poo's but her bottom stinks, if she sits on me i can smell it on my clothes and everything, any suggestions, do i bathe her rear end or is there a special spray i can put on her, poor thing is starting to get a complex coz we stand up whenever we see her so she doesn't sit on us!Bless her!

calismum
19-08-2008, 05:36 PM
no idea if I'm talking mince here but this happened to my dog and she had an infection in her anal gland - never heard of cats with this problem but . . . . . . ?

Juli
19-08-2008, 08:32 PM
oh thanks, could get it checked out

angieh
19-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I definitely would Juli - poor Echo! and poor you not wanting to give her a lovely cuddle!

dandysmom
19-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Juli, that suggestion about anal glands does sound likely. Here's a link that might be helpful......

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm

yola
20-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes, I'd concur with the anal gland theory. I've heard this can result in an uncomfortable and smelly rear end. Maybe the vet can check it out? Poor Echo :(

farthing
20-08-2008, 08:30 PM
A couple of my cats have had anal gland problems, it is more common in older cats, both are arthritic so maybe that has something to do with it. The vet sqeezed the glands and they were fine, although Spice needed them done a few weeks later. The vet showed me how to do it and if she seems a bit whiffy I give them a squeeze, no problems since. It is best to get them seen to though as an infection can set in.