PDA

View Full Version : What is a cloche??

alexgirl73
18-08-2008, 07:06 PM
:?

I have bought some lettuce seeds (tom thumb) and some spring onions which says I can plant now to grow over the winter under a cloche. Only problem is I have no idea what one of these is:oops: :lol: Can someone point me in the right direction please.

MrsH
18-08-2008, 07:11 PM
It's a see-through cover to protect young plants from the cold. Proper, glass ones are expensive to buy but you can get polythene/plastic frames at the garden centre or make your own.

alexgirl73
18-08-2008, 07:14 PM
ahhh!! Thank you :D I am a complete novice at this veggie growing business. I have one solitary tomato plant growing in my little patch (with one tomato ripening lol) but didn't want to leave it empty until next spring, hence buying these seeds. I will have a look in Wyevale tomorrow.

Steph
18-08-2008, 07:29 PM
On making cloches:D

Well OK I`m into this sort of thing big time.

Get some alkathene water pipe and cut into hoops(as big as you like but be sensible) Buy some copper tubing and a cutter,the diameter of the tubing fits neatly into the water pipe and provides the anchors.

Now-anchor your tube framework and cover with polythene,ancho.r the polythene with bricks or whatever.

I do have a huge veg garden mind you and I buy polythene at trade price.

AKA Smiling Cat Herbs-probably the best collection of tomato plant varieties in the UK but as yet undiscovered:cry:

calismum
18-08-2008, 08:26 PM
pound shop had some recently (for £1 LOL)

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Alex, in case you're wondering what they look like..

http://www.garden-greenhouse.co.nz/GroundCloche1.jpg

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 10:24 PM
On making cloches:D

Well OK I`m into this sort of thing big time.

Get some alkathene water pipe and cut into hoops(as big as you like but be sensible) Buy some copper tubing and a cutter,the diameter of the tubing fits neatly into the water pipe and provides the anchors.

Now-anchor your tube framework and cover with polythene,ancho.r the polythene with bricks or whatever.

I do have a huge veg garden mind you and I buy polythene at trade price.

AKA Smiling Cat Herbs-probably the best collection of tomato plant varieties in the UK but as yet undiscovered:cry:

What a lovely garden name, Steph! How did Larissa do for you this year? It and Marmande did pretty well for me until the drought; Ailsa Craig was huge but didn't bear very well and has succumbed to a blight...:(

alexgirl73
18-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Alex, in case you're wondering what they look like..

http://www.garden-greenhouse.co.nz/GroundCloche1.jpg

Thanks Eileen:D I shall be on the hunt tomorrow so I can get the seeds sown.