PDA

View Full Version : Garden Problem

Donna
18-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Right, I know how good all you ladies are at making things grow in your garden, but have you any help for a silly woman who planted a bush in her garden years ago and now wants to get rid of it??????????????

It has slowly taken over the whole of the end of my garden and I did get it cut back to the roots a few years ago, but could not dig them up. It has grown back again even worse!

Yesterday I have cut it back to the roots again, but does anyone know how I can kill off the roots so that it doesnt grow back again? I NEED to get rid of this plant before I can move Pickle into his new 6ft hutch as it is in the way!!!

I dont know what the plant is, but it is a bush thing with bright pink flowers in the summer. I can try and find out if it will help get rid of it!!!

yola
18-08-2008, 09:43 AM
What you need to do is get some root/stump killer and spread it over the end of the cut-off branches, also maybe drill down into some of the thicker ones and pour the liquid/powder in.

To keep your cats and bunnies safe it might be an idea to wrap some plastic over the ends to stop the animals getting to it.

It's not an immediate fix as it'll take a while to destroy the remainder of the plant. Alternative would be to get some handyman/ground clearance bloke in for an hour to take it out (easier and quicker).

angieh
18-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes - I agree with Yola. That's the only safe and successful way of doing it. There used to be a product called Root Out which was very good. I don't know if it's still on the market. Do remember to wrap/cover the stumps after treatment.

calismum
18-08-2008, 02:53 PM
agree with yola and angieh.

If it is urgent a tree surgeon may be able to do something a bit quicker. I'm thinking like cuting round the roots etc and pulling out the stump. Or perhaps they have access to stronger applications.

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Yola/Angie/calismum are right. I had the same problem with bamboo, cutting down only made it more rampant; had to hire a crew to dig up the roots! Good luck, Donna!

Donna
18-08-2008, 05:05 PM
What you need to do is get some root/stump killer and spread it over the end of the cut-off branches, also maybe drill down into some of the thicker ones and pour the liquid/powder in.

To keep your cats and bunnies safe it might be an idea to wrap some plastic over the ends to stop the animals getting to it.

I have tried this method as it is the cheapest. I bought some stuff to kill tree stumps and cut into the roots to get some fresh root and poured it all over. I have also placed an old cage over the top of it to stop any animals getting to it... I hope it works.

calismum
18-08-2008, 07:50 PM
hope it works for you

dandysmom
18-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Good luck, let us know how it goes!